White Privilege

Not the best forum for thanksgiving dinner.

Moderators: R&P Admin, R&P Mod

Global Roamer

Re: White Privilege

Post by Global Roamer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 am

Just finding this new Awkward Arguments venue, and perusing boards. Too bad I wasn't here during the heat of this discussion. My 2¢: Having lived and worked around the world, white privilege isn't an American thing. I've really come to appreciate having won the genetic PowerBall lottery: I'm an American white male. Each of those bring unique privileges, and the combination makes me one of the luckiest people in the world.

Most Americans living in America have no idea how lucky they are: they don't see how the rest of the world lives. American privilege exists, whether Americans see or admit it. Most men don't realize how much easier it is being a man than being a woman: that's male privilege, and it's real. Similarly, just being white is easier -- not just in America, but around the world.

In so many situations and countries, I've been treated differently (better) than my peers of color, or my woman peers -- and the American passport makes me a superstar.

Once, going through immigration in another country, a black woman [a well-dressed businesswoman] with whom I was travelling was questioned: "Why did you come here?" "Why did you only stay [#] days?" "Why didn't you route directly to the next destination?" etc. I went next. Having the same American passport, having the same itinerary, he simply stamped my passport, smiled, and said "Thank you." No questions for the white male.

And in SO many places, just being American makes you a superstar. People want to know someone from America. I once lived in China a few years, and though the Chinese Government put down American values and the idea of a democratic republic (and there were plenty of news headlines to show our bad side), I was struck by how things Americana were so desirable: from NY Yankees ball caps to NASA jackets to Captain America backpacks, America was the cultural "cool." During our 2016 election, the WHOLE WORLD was watching: shortly afterwards, a taxi driver in Zimbabwe said "Trump is president! You like?" Zimbabwe!

Being male is a HUGE advantage. Being white is a HUGE advantage. Being American is a HUGE advantage. I know it, I recognize it.

Once, having a conversation re: this same subject, riding a train in Morocco with a local college student, I said that I'd probably been spoiled because of these advantages. He smiled and said "If you recognize it, you're not spoiled." Out of the mouths of babes.

Happy New Year.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:23 pm

Our racial situation today, is the result of Lincoln's assassination, and Johnson's failed Reconstruction.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 pm

Global Roamer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 am
Just finding this new Awkward Arguments venue, and perusing boards. Too bad I wasn't here during the heat of this discussion. My 2¢: Having lived and worked around the world, white privilege isn't an American thing. I've really come to appreciate having won the genetic PowerBall lottery: I'm an American white male. Each of those bring unique privileges, and the combination makes me one of the luckiest people in the world.

Most Americans living in America have no idea how lucky they are: they don't see how the rest of the world lives. American privilege exists, whether Americans see or admit it. Most men don't realize how much easier it is being a man than being a woman: that's male privilege, and it's real. Similarly, just being white is easier -- not just in America, but around the world.

In so many situations and countries, I've been treated differently (better) than my peers of color, or my woman peers -- and the American passport makes me a superstar.

Once, going through immigration in another country, a black woman [a well-dressed businesswoman] with whom I was travelling was questioned: "Why did you come here?" "Why did you only stay [#] days?" "Why didn't you route directly to the next destination?" etc. I went next. Having the same American passport, having the same itinerary, he simply stamped my passport, smiled, and said "Thank you." No questions for the white male.

And in SO many places, just being American makes you a superstar. People want to know someone from America. I once lived in China a few years, and though the Chinese Government put down American values and the idea of a democratic republic (and there were plenty of news headlines to show our bad side), I was struck by how things Americana were so desirable: from NY Yankees ball caps to NASA jackets to Captain America backpacks, America was the cultural "cool." During our 2016 election, the WHOLE WORLD was watching: shortly afterwards, a taxi driver in Zimbabwe said "Trump is president! You like?" Zimbabwe!

Being male is a HUGE advantage. Being white is a HUGE advantage. Being American is a HUGE advantage. I know it, I recognize it.

Once, having a conversation re: this same subject, riding a train in Morocco with a local college student, I said that I'd probably been spoiled because of these advantages. He smiled and said "If you recognize it, you're not spoiled." Out of the mouths of babes.

Happy New Year.
You make good points, clearly articulated.
One of your points is, it's not just Americans. Yes. Maybe it started when The Dutch, and English were competing for access to nutmeg from the South East Pacific. European countries all worked to establish power around the world. Germans, and French, The Spanish, and Portuguese, exploited the human population on a global scale. So, maybe it is Euro-Privilege?

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:39 pm

Kind of like Trump. He thinks he is right, no matter what. He can grab women. He can hold up legally made foreign aid decisions. His Good Ole Boy network will protect him ... because he is a white male.

Just compare him to Mr. President Obama, who was opposed by The Good Ole Boy network ... because he was black.

or you could call the Good Ole Boy Network, the White Privilege, or the Euro-American Network.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:38 pm

The most stunning example of White Privilege, is The Post Office Reorganization Act of 1970.

Roam85

Post by Roam85 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:38 pm
The most stunning example of White Privilege, is The Post Office Reorganization Act of 1970.
Because it was a retaliation against the postal worker strike?

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:51 am

Roam85 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 pm
Cat's Paw wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:38 pm
Because it was a retaliation against the postal worker strike?
Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._post ... ke_of_1970
Causes
At the time, postal workers were not permitted by law to engage in collective bargaining. Striking postal workers felt wages were very low, benefits poor and working conditions unhealthy and unsafe. APWU president Moe Biller described Manhattan (New York City) post offices as like "dungeons," dirty, stifling, too hot in summer, and too cold in winter.[1]

The Post Office Department's management was outdated and, according to workers, haphazard. Postal union lobbying of Congress to obtain higher pay and better working conditions had proven fruitless.[1]

An immediate trigger for the strike was a Congressional decision to raise the wages of postal workers by only 4%, at the same time as Congress raised its own pay by 41%.[2][3][4]

The post office was home to many black workers, and this population increased as whites left postal work in the 1950s and '60s for better jobs. Postal workers in general were upset about the low wages and poor conditions.[1][5]

The importance of black workers was amplified by militancy outside the post office.[1] Isaac & Christiansen identify the civil rights movement as a major contributor to the 1970 strike as well as other radical labor actions. They highlight several causal connections, including cultural climate, overlapping personnel, and the simple "demonstration effect," showing that nonviolent civil disobedience could accomplish political change.[6]

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 am

One day soon, an ancestor who was a slave will be claimed as a point of pride, instead of same. At that time, Euro-Americans will look desperately for a slave they can claim to add to their lineage. The only 'True' Americans, will be considered to have come out of slavery.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:46 pm

I’m glad I took a break from this place for awhile. I’ll paraphrase a page 1 post to sum up my thoughts:
Simply a reboot of the same old deniers using the same old denial to try to avoid the very real ramifications of a nation founded on, and steeped in, that very privilege.

I’ll have my $0.10 cup of coffee now.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Coronavirus proves white privilege exists.
The problem mirrors B.L.M. and global warming.
the solution is jobs with a living wage.
Good schools
Good health care
Healthy diet
Clothing
and shelter.

White privilege is real.
The wealth gap is wide and growing exponentially.
The pandemic is expanding the wealth gap along racial lines and is now called the racial wealth gap in many article.
a wide wealth gap brings revolution and tyranny.

We see it in the news today between Korea and Japan, in Portland. We see it in Thailand, and Hong Kong.
Belarus, and Lebanon. The economy is messed up real bad.

The wealth needs to make sure everyone is well nourished.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:12 pm

Left v Right
I can cut some corners; I'm pretty messy. v Cut to the line, try not to go over, but do not miss any!
Sloppy wad v precise origami

explained in a nutshell:
Leviticus 19:9-10
New International Version
9 “‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the Lord your God.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Just try to obey the first two of ten commands.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Trump is a big coveter.