Survey Question 8. Conservative voices? Is it Black and White or is there a grey area in there?

We are looking for discussions more then debates. Come with an open mind, maybe we all can grow.

Moderators: 4E Admin, 4E Mod

tck62

Survey Question 8. Conservative voices? Is it Black and White or is there a grey area in there?

Post by tck62 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Question 8 on the recent survey cracked me up regarding allowing Conservative voices. It made me curious what is a "Conservative voice" ? Is it any non Liberal approved thought or opinion? What about opinions that are not Liberal or Conservative? What is the dynamic at play here? Are people more comfortable discussing politics with like minded folks who enjoy getting confirmation for their world view by bagging on the other team with folks who think like they do and enjoy it too?

So I run across the accusation of being a Conservative simply because I don't think it's right for the 1% to import foreign workers to keep blue collar and low skill wages depressed. Not only are we having a hell of a time getting our corporations to pay a living wage in these fields but the people the newly arriving foreign workers are competing with are primarily competing with the American working poor of color.

Now my position on this issue has not changed since I originally joined the Democrats in the 80's, back then it was Reagan who was championing for the foreign workers and the rich people hiring them and they were instrumental in helping Reagan cripple the private sector unions.

Now I have stayed consistent in my beliefs, I think it's wrong to help the rich use foreign workers to keep wages depressed and it's pretty obvious the majority of Democrats still do or they would be screaming to eliminate the visa caps protecting the college educated skilled workers from the same dynamic as it pertains to their jobs.

So I got to ask. Just how did my maintaining my same belief for decades all of a sudden change me from being a Democrat to a Conservative?

So back to question 8? Is my position a Conservative or? A Democratic one? A Republican one or a Liberal one?

Eryk

Re: Survey Question 8. Conservative voices? Is it Black and White or is there a grey area in there?

Post by Eryk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Your position on foreign workers is all wrong. I don’t think the .01% give a shyte. The 1%-.99% might care but they’re too weak to do anything about it.

Do you think the top .01% sit in some evil lair to come up with ways to lower the wages of unskilled workers who aren’t even on their payroll?

I think you give people too much credit. People generally speaking are not thoughtful. They just do what’s easiest. Maybe cheap low skilled labor helps the 1% or maybe it doesn’t. I don’t think they sit around and think about it.

If you placed a person on a street that slanted slightly. Which way would he walk right or left. Right slants slight up and left slants slightly down. It doesn’t matter where the street leads, 9 times out of 10 they’re going to walk left.

I know you’ve held this position for 40 years so no amount of persuasion will be enough. For you to change your mind would be like you admitting your entire life was a lie. Your ego will not allow that. Good luck @tck62, i actually really enjoy these types of discussions with you. Especially since I’m your sock.

Eryk

Re: Survey Question 8. Conservative voices? Is it Black and White or is there a grey area in there?

Post by Eryk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:28 pm

And to answer the question, conservatives tend to be left brain thinkers. They like rules, law and order. They want immigration reform because they believe laws exist for a reason. What’s the point of having rules if people break them.

Progressives tend to be right brain thinkers. They don’t necessarily care about the rules themselves and are more revolutionary in thinking about how these rules affect people. Because this makes them more sensitive, it’s easy to convince them that people who are not white males are victims. Which is why progressives like to pander to minorities and poor people.

These are by no means rules. It’s just a tendency.

I have a conservative mind but honestly I have a lot of apathy. I don’t really care about the 90% of issues I visit these boards to discuss. I just like to discuss and argue. It’s exercise for my brain. In my disqus days I would visit conservative sites to explore my leftist views and progressive sites to explore my conservative views. I don’t consider myself a troll. I try to be very respectful and always concede to the mods. I’m a free thinker. Kinda like Nietzsche. I consider echo chambers with like minded people a waste of time. I like having friends who can stimulate my mind and challenge my beliefs in a respectful manner.