Why We Hate Episode 2: Tribalism

We are looking for discussions more then debates. Come with an open mind, maybe we all can grow.

Moderators: 4E Admin, 4E Mod

Roam85

Re: Why We Hate Episode 2: Tribalism

Post by Roam85 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:50 pm

Roam85 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:43 pm
I have heard rational right-leaning people, ( I don't hang out with the irrational ones...lol), say we all should treat each other better, and I thought that was what this thread is about...tribalism on both sides?
I've heard plenty of that "from both sides". But it sounds like a cop out.

I've heard lefitsts tell other lefitsts they shouldn't be disrespectful to conservatives.

I have never heard someone who is right wing tell someone else who was right wing they shouldn't be disrespectful to liberals since the days of Bob Dole.

And to be fair, the only example of that I can think of during those days was Bob Dole himself.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Roam85 wrote:
I've heard lefitsts tell other lefitsts they shouldn't be disrespectful to conservatives.

I have never heard someone who is right wing tell someone else who was right wing they shouldn't be disrespectful to liberals since the days of Bob Dole.
That is because you are of the left and hang around with others of the left. You hear the conversation they have when times are calm and rational. What you tend to see from the right is people when they are in the heat of battle, and everyone flocks to protect their side. A great example of someone on the right who stood up for what was right with regularity was John McCain.

BTW how are using the term leftist? I might agree or disagree depending on your answers.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Roam85 wrote:
edit: Deleted because I accidentally posted it again in an attempt to edit.
ha, I do that all the time...i hit quotes instead of edit for some reason, probably habit...

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Roam85 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:50 pm
Roam85 wrote:
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:43 pm
I have heard rational right-leaning people, ( I don't hang out with the irrational ones...lol), say we all should treat each other better, and I thought that was what this thread is about...tribalism on both sides?
I've heard plenty of that "from both sides". But it sounds like a cop out.

And to be fair, the only example of that I can think of during those days was Bob Dole himself.
I am not a "leftist" ( I consider them the far left of the spectrum)...but, I definitely am a liberal, especially socially...I will say this, most right-leaning ( the rational ones) posters are actually much nicer and politer to me than some left-leaning or leftist people...my opinion on this is that it is because I treat them with respect first, so they respond in kind...I think this whole thing perpetuates itself...if everyone started out with this premise, there would be less anger.rancor...IMO...and that is why I try to be fair to everyone, regardless of political ideology

Roam85

Post by Roam85 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:14 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:54 pm
Roam85 wrote:

That is because you are of the left and hang around with others of the left. You hear the conversation they have when times are calm and rational. What you tend to see from the right is people when they are in the heat of battle, and everyone flocks to protect their side. A great example of someone on the right who stood up for what was right with regularity was John McCain.

BTW how are using the term leftist? I might agree or disagree depending on your answers.
The current US societal definition. Anyone who wouldn’t vote for Ronald Reagan/ Anyone who doesn’t despise every democrat.

Also to dispute your claim of what I see, I am able to lurk in echo chambers of both left leaning and right leaning people.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Roam85 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:14 pm
The current US societal definition. Anyone who wouldn’t vote for Ronald Reagan/ Anyone who doesn’t despise every democrat.
In that case I agree, leftist (by your definition) call out other's on the left.

BTW when most people on the right use the term they are using the Shapiro version. They are talking specifically about the militant and authoritarian left.

I only point this out becasue the societal accepted definition is different depending on your perspective.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Roam85 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:54 pm
Roam85 wrote:

Also to dispute your claim of what I see, I am able to lurk in echo chambers of both left leaning and right leaning people.
Huh, my understanding is that it only applies to the far left , most extreme views,l like the alt right

Roam85

Post by Roam85 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:17 pm
Roam85 wrote:
In that case I agree, leftist (by your definition) call out other's on the left.

BTW when most people on the right use the term they are using the Shapiro version. They are talking specifically about the militant and authoritarian left.

I only point this out becasue the societal accepted definition is different depending on your perspective.
Given that Shapiro has put that branding on the entirety of academia and not every college professor is actually the militant and authoritarian left, gonna have to call bs on that being his definition as much as it seems to be anyone who can speak to someone who’s left wing without the purpose of humiliating them or proving them wrong.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 pm
Huh, my understanding is that it only applies to the far left , most extreme views,l like the alt right
Your description is more in line with how people on the right use it.

Roam85

Post by Roam85 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:23 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 pm
Your description is more in line with how people on the right use it.
Or say they do when talking to anyone who isn’t far right, as I have quite literally read “there’s room in this country for a right wing party and a center right party, nothing else. When will libtards get this?”

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Roam85 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:23 pm
Given that Shapiro has put that branding on the entirety of academia and not every college professor is actually the militant and authoritarian left, gonna have to call bs on that being his definition as much as it seems to be anyone who can speak to someone who’s left wing without the purpose of humiliating them or proving them wrong.
That's a rather over simplification of his views on academia. That aside, I'm simply pointing out that how you receive the word isn't always how the person using it intends it.