Why We Hate Episode 3: How Hate is Spread

We are looking for discussions more then debates. Come with an open mind, maybe we all can grow.

Moderators: 4E Admin, 4E Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

Why We Hate Episode 3: How Hate is Spread

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:22 pm

This week gave us two episodes. I watched the first last night and will comment now. I’ll try to get to the 2nd later on in the week.

This was perhaps the most chilling episode, because it’s the truest to our times. It focused on how hate is spread and the tools used to do so. The first part of the episode focused on propaganda and talked a lot about today’s media. As the media has become more about entertainment they have found that pandering to their audience brings in the most money. So, that is what they do.

My favorite example of this (not from this episode) was back in 2016. There was a large comprehensive study about what makes someone homosexual. Conservative outlets quoted the study with headlines like, “Study Disproves ‘Born this Way’” and liberal outlets quoted the very same study with headlines like, “Study proves born this way!”. I watched the forums go ablaze as people quoted, not from the study but from these articles. Each pandering to their own group. I read that study cover to cover. The conclusion of the study was that human sexuality is so complex there likely is not a single cause and each person’s sexuality is a result of a variety of unique factors both genetic and environmental. The sad part is that this really interesting nuances finding was lost in all the gloating.

The second half of the show focused on dehumanization. This was perhaps the most disturbing eye opener I’ve seen in a long time. They talked about a recent study where they used the evolutionary chart that we all know. They then asked people to place people from their own culture and people from other cultures on the chart and assigned numbers to those ranks. Everyone believed their own culture was fully evolved human (100), but as they started ranking other cultures, the numbers dropped significantly (sometimes into the 60’s). In the US Mexican immigrants in particular were ranked much lower. In Europe the same was true for Muslim immigrants.

This was shocking to me. I certainly think there are aspects of some cultures that behave less the what I’d consider human, but to apply these cultural behaviors to the state of the people themselves made me sick to my stomach. I’ve always known that there are people who think this way, but I had no idea it was prevalent enough to skew the numbers so obviously on the study. I haven’t gone back to look at the study itself so I like to think it was a poor sample size and they pulled all their subjects from some backwoods squalor far from most other human life. I may avoid reading the study so I can keep this fantasy alive.

Finally, the episode tied it all together by showing how demagogues can use all of this in their favor and why working up fear and hatred is such a powerful strategy in an election. All in all this was perhaps the most disheartening episode to so far. It felt the most current, and left us without answers. The truth is, talking about these tools and understanding them is our only defense against them. They aren’t going to go away, but we can be smarter in how we deal with them.

Eryk

Re: Why We Hate Episode 3: How Hate is Spread

Post by Eryk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:34 pm

If white supremacy is on the rise in America, I think the right and the left are to blame.

The right for feeding into the fears of poor whites.
The left for exaggerating the political support they have on the right.

Both did what they did for votes and support.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 pm

To be clear this wasn't just about white supremacy or even simply racial hatred. While the example study used was about race, this series explores the origins of the human complicity for hatred period. For instance they also talked extensively about the Rwandan Genocide and the Tutsi have are racially identical to the Hutu and the difference between the groups is only one of class.

LivenLearn

Post by LivenLearn » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:53 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:22 pm
The second half of the show focused on dehumanization. This was perhaps the most disturbing eye opener I’ve seen in a long time. They talked about a recent study where they used the evolutionary chart that we all know. They then asked people to place people from their own culture and people from other cultures on the chart and assigned numbers to those ranks. Everyone believed their own culture was fully evolved human (100), but as they started ranking other cultures, the numbers dropped significantly (sometimes into the 60’s). In the US Mexican immigrants in particular were ranked much lower. In Europe the same was true for Muslim immigrants.
I am not surprised by this but do question the inferred reasoning behind it. Indulge me as I go a little tangential here. People often get stuck thinking evolution and modern progress are closely tied to one another but I am not at all convinced this is the case. For instance, if I think of Western civilization vs Amazon Tribes, who really is the most evolved? We have evolved in a way that works against our environment, our circumstances. We do whatever we can to make things easier and more comfortable for ourselves and change our immediate environment to do so. That chair is too hard, get a softer one. That food isn't quite to our palate, find something else. A tribe in the Amazon focuses on necessities that are readily available, food that sustains them, adapting to their changing environment rather than making their environment adapt to them. So, who is really evolving in the most consistent significant way? Does modern progress make us more adaptive or less; more evolved as humans, or less? hmmm ...