Congress discussion

We are looking for discussions more then debates. Come with an open mind, maybe we all can grow.

Moderators: 4E Admin, 4E Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

Congress discussion

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Okay Let's continue the conversation here where it's all good.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: Congress discussion

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:51 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:09 pm
That implies that Congress was somehow better before this era. Any student of history can disprove that. Congress has had periods of relative sanity, but there were also periods of ridiculous conflict. Do you realize that actual duels with weapons were not uncommon in the early Congresses? And let us not forget about the McCarthy era.

Is it bad now? Yes. Were there better times for Congress? Yes. Is this worse than usual? Probably not.
@Tarmaque

You have a very good point. I often make a similar one about the founders. I think it's funny that people think they were all in lock step when one literally killed another in perhaps the most famous duel in history.

I do think it was somewhat different. In the past Congress wasn't always effective but they seemed to be dedicated to legislating. In modern times it seems like they are more interested in collecting free dinners, and grandstanding then doing any governing at all.

limoman

Re: Congress discussion

Post by limoman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:06 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:51 pm
In modern times it seems like they are more interested in collecting free dinners,
And cash too for the next election. Fundraising starts the week after the election especially in the House.