When The Culture War Comes For The Kids

We are looking for discussions more then debates. Come with an open mind, maybe we all can grow.

Moderators: 4E Admin, 4E Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: When The Culture War Comes For The Kids

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 pm
Yeah, but, I am sure she meant AA as in the disqus version...with the reference to NPR...
I was just having fun with it. After I responded I wondered if Ellen was here by mistake and thought she was posting over in AwkAnon.

Deleted User 54

Post by Deleted User 54 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Procax Nothus wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:03 pm
Arphaxad wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 pm
With an unemployment rate at 3.7 it looks like the majority of them innovated. They learned new skills or started their own businesses. Yes, some people refuse to change and they will be hurt the most, but they are the exception. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is what has happened historically in the US.
The unemployment rate is very misleading. It only counts those that are currently looking for work. NPR did a story about this a year or more ago. Disability claims have sky rocketed in these areas. So a person would not be counted as unemployed if the are now considered disabled, When reporters asked the doctors why so many people were considered disabled now they responded it was because there were no jobs.
If that were true, that is a crime. Those people would be arrested and still not count as unemployed. Yes, I understand the unemployment number is lower than the real unemployment, but a vast majority of able-bodied Americans can find jobs if they want to work. We will always have the stubborn and lazy to point to if you want to claim there is nothing for them to do.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 pm
Yeah, but, I am sure she meant AA as in the disqus version...with the reference to NPR...
I was just having fun with it. After I responded I wondered if Ellen was here by mistake and thought she was posting over in AwkAnon.
Yeah, I had the same thought, I don't think many understand this whole set up to be honest...or even the difference between the site and the house...

Ellen

Post by Ellen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:22 pm
I am sure Guide will answer this...but, it is only this house " engineering etc" that Ike owns..he had this as a channel on Disqus, not affiliated with AA
Well we are affiliated with AA the site, now. Just not AwkAnon. Other then we share some mods.
I do, by the way, understand the difference between the site 'Awkward Arguments' and the 'house', 'AwkAnon'... ;- )

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Ellen wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:01 pm
I do, by the way, understand the difference between the site 'Awkward Arguments' and the 'house', 'AwkAnon'... ;- )
Well either way welcome to 4E you are always welcome here.

Ellen

Post by Ellen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 pm
Ellen wrote:
Well either way welcome to 4E you are always welcome here.
Thanks, Guide! I was actually following you to see what was cooking in your neck of the wood. Sometimes it can be d-e-a-d around these parts (this site). Thought it was an interesting debate.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Ellen wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 pm
Thought it was an interesting debate.
I'm really happy with this thread it's exactly the kind of conversations we are hoping for here. I'll be posting more myself when I have more time.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 pm

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 pm
Ellen wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm
aw, jeez, Guide, I like to read Mike's point-of-view. You can say 'tone down the snark ...' (it happens in heated arguments sometimes) but don't run him off. In my humble opinion. & Jest my two-cents worth here ...
This channel is the strictest on this kind of thing, it goes back to why Ike and I started it. We were both burnt out on internet culture, modernizing and snarking at others and wanted a place where we could have detailed discussion with civility. As a resault we made the choice that we would be strict with such comments here before they had a chance to degrade the thread into a dumbster fire. We both recognize that that means this will never be the most popular place for everyone to post, some might even consider this approch elitist and that is probably fair, but there are plenty of places here where people can engage in normal internet style debates, we really are trying for a different feel here.

The rest of his comments have stood with nothing more then a "cool it down" that one just went to far and started things down a path that is what we are trying to avoid here. I've chased of people I agree with for less snarky remarks.
Alright, I understand what you are striving for. I really do.

But when an opinion has been refuted a thousand times and someone offers it up again as ‘fact’, it gets tiresome. And when people refuse to accept something that is utterly clear, it gets tiresome. That is in itself snark, no matter how ‘politely’ worded.

That said, I will try to tone down the responses a bit.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Ellen wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:22 pm
I am sure Guide will answer this...but, it is only this house " engineering etc" that Ike owns..he had this as a channel on Disqus, not affiliated with AA
Well we are affiliated with AA the site, now. Just not AwkAnon. Other then we share some mods.
Ok...it just didn't sound like it from the way you phrased it...no offense meant either way...

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 pm
But when an opinion has been refuted a thousand times and someone offers it up again as ‘fact’, it gets tiresome. And when people refuse to accept something that is utterly clear, it gets tiresome.
Oh, I get it. I find myself having to edit sometimes here before hitting send. I'm not mad at you and think you have a lot to offer.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 am

The US is a melting pot.
The culture 'war' is a misnomer.

I am so excited to see what will emerge.
What will we look like?
How will we talk?

Real Americans will embrace diversity, which is our total strength!
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/maga ... e-america/

Gosh, we're going to be cute.

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:22 am

The U.S. Census Bureau has collected detailed data on multiracial people only since 2000, when it first allowed respondents to check off more than one race, and 6.8 million people chose to do so. Ten years later that number jumped by 32 percent, making it one of the fastest growing categories. The multiple-race option has been lauded as progress by individuals frustrated by the limitations of the racial categories established in the late 18th century by German scientist Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, who divided humans into five “natural varieties” of red, yellow, brown, black, and white. Although the multiple-race option is still rooted in that taxonomy, it introduces the factor of self-determination. It’s a step toward fixing a categorization system that, paradoxically, is both erroneous (since geneticists have demonstrated that race is biologically not a reality) and essential (since living with race and racism is). The tracking of race is used both to enforce antidiscrimination laws and to identify health issues specific to certain populations.

Deleted User 56

Post by Deleted User 56 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Ellen wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:12 pm
former_rwd wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:55 pm
Ellen wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 pm
With all the brains in this country, we certainly could come up with a solution to the problems we face. Maybe it has to--as usual--reach a crisis level to get attention. Or crawl up the economic ladder and hurt the people who have some clout.
When did we ever resolve any social issue before it would blow up to a crisis level?
well. The crab fisherman in Cedar Key were facing a major economic crisis when the state out-lawed a kind of trap they used for their livelihood. They, naturally, freaked out. So the state of Florida came up with a clever plan to replace the crabbing industry with a clamming industry and so leased state land out for farming clams (and sold these people the seeds needed for the beds). It is now, remarkably, a booming industry. (and yummo). I love this story.
Exactly it's up to the states to figure out a way to bring in jobs and to keep citizens from going elsewhere for work. I would love for WV to become a leader in green tech and to keep our place somewhere people want to come for raw nature. Once they found gas and oil that went right out the window.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 am
Real Americans will embrace diversity, which is our total strength!
Embracing diversity isn't the same thing as identity politics. Identity politics is about pandering to various groups for votes.