It’s killing dogs and cattle. It’s making people sick. It’s spreading throughout the country. And answers remain elusive

We are looking for discussions more then debates. Come with an open mind, maybe we all can grow.

Moderators: 4E Admin, 4E Mod

tck62

It’s killing dogs and cattle. It’s making people sick. It’s spreading throughout the country. And answers remain elusive

Post by tck62 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:38 pm

SALT LAKE CITY — An epidemic is growing. It’s compromising drinking water in cities, making people sick. It’s killing dogs and cattle, even bats. It’s closing down lakes, resulting in economic losses for those reliant on lakeside recreation. And the reasons for its spread remain elusive.

Algae blooms have gripped Utah lakes, and their seasonal spread across the country is on the rise. By the end of August, a record 354 outbreaks had been reported since the beginning of the year, compared to 289 over the same period in 2018, according to the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit organization that researches water pollution.

The onset of fall will give the public a reprieve. But as the nation grapples with changing climate and a longer, warmer season, scientists are working to understand how to control this health threat.

An algal bloom occurs when a combination of heat and nutrients creates conditions for algae and cyanobacteria to thrive. The end of summer is particularly bad, and during August algae blooms plagued small towns and cities across the country, from New York City ponds to a lake in Austin, Texas, and the Russian River in California.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>One study led by an EPA scientist in 2016 found that an increase of phosphorus, one of the nutrients that algal blooms thrive on, was widespread across the United States. The last National Lakes Assessment results released in 2012 found 40% of lakes tested had excess phosphorus.<<<<<<<<<<<<

One of the most high-profile algae blooms in the U.S. is in Lake Erie, a water source for several municipalities, where a growth covered 620 miles at the last measurement in mid-August. The lake has been coping with algal blooms since the 1990s, and in 2015, the nearby city of Toledo, Ohio, had to switch to bottled water when bacteria overwhelmed the local water treatment plant. The state has invested hundreds of millions of dollars over the past decade toward treating the blooms and helping affected communities, according to Ohio EPA spokesperson Dina Pierce.

more at

https://www.deseret.com/indepth/2019/10 ... -lake-erie

tck62

Re: It’s killing dogs and cattle. It’s making people sick. It’s spreading throughout the country. And answers remain elu

Post by tck62 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:39 pm

This is becoming a real problem, Utah even created a regulation to remove the phosphorous from the dish washer soap to combat it.

This problem is only going to get worse.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: It’s killing dogs and cattle. It’s making people sick. It’s spreading throughout the country. And answers remain elu

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:15 pm

tck62 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:39 pm
This is becoming a real problem, Utah even created a regulation to remove the phosphorous from the dish washer soap to combat it.
Or stop dumping wastewater into our lakes and rivers to begin with. Something we've been talking about forever.

tck62

Post by tck62 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:19 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:15 pm
tck62 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:39 pm
Or stop dumping wastewater into our lakes and rivers to begin with. Something we've been talking about forever.

Sadly not dumping waste water into our streams and lakes is expensive and we don't want our taxes to go up.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:23 pm

tck62 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:19 pm
Sadly not dumping waste water into our streams and lakes is expensive and we don't want our taxes to go up.
I think that cities should charge for wastewater based on water usage the same way most charge for water today. It's not a tax issue, it's a paying for the services you use issue.

tck62

Post by tck62 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:23 pm
tck62 wrote:
I think that cities should charge for wastewater based on water usage the same way most charge for water today. It's not a tax issue, it's a paying for the services you use issue.
Who "uses" the wastewater full of phosphorous? Is it the farmer, the person eating the lettuce, the truck driver who can feed his family by taking the lettuce to the store or the store that sold the lettuce?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:29 pm

tck62 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm
Who "uses" the wastewater full of phosphorous? Is it the farmer,
I was talking about the use of the waste treatment plant to clean up the water. not use of the water itself.

And it would likely be all of those people to some degree.

Eryk

Post by Eryk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:41 pm

tck62 wrote:
Our wastewater doesn’t go directly into our streams and lakes. It gets treated first. Atleast it’s supposed to be. In many cases the water that gets dumped into our streams and lakes is cleaner than the water that’s taken out.

Eryk

Post by Eryk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:45 pm

tck62 wrote:
Nah, it’s already getting treated. What you’re proposing is an extra tax for no reason. Nobody is adding services. Those services already exist.

And FYI, my city has a flat waste water charge. I think it’s like $30.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Eryk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:45 pm
Nah, it’s already getting treated. What you’re proposing is an extra tax for no reason. Nobody is adding services. Those services already exist.
They exist to various degrees depending on where you live. And as I said I didn't propose a tax, I proposed people pay for a service they use.

tck62

Post by tck62 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:30 am

Eryk wrote:
tck62 wrote:

It's getting "treated" ??????????????

Eryk

Post by Eryk » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:12 pm

tck62 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:30 am
Eryk wrote:

It's getting "treated" ??????????????

Im pretty sure agricultural runoff doesn’t pass through our waste water system. No expert tho...