The German city that declared a 'Nazi emergency'

The biker bar of Awkward Arguments. All views welcome, bring a thick skin.

Moderators: DU Admin, DU MOD

DarkSide of the Moon

Re: The German city that declared a 'Nazi emergency'

Post by DarkSide of the Moon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 pm

limoman wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:16 am
Eryk wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:43 am
or are you just going out of your way to be antagonistic?
Yes that pretty much sums up DS lately
Ooooh ... looky , looky ... it's limoman , coming out to play.
Let's be gentle with him folks , he's just getting over loosing his buddy Chris who got the boot from AA .
Along with the great exodus poor limoman has had to entertain himself. Maybe one day we may witness limoman contribute something of substance to topics.

Eryk

Post by Eryk » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:09 pm

DarkSide of the Moon wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:09 am
Reading through this thread has been oddly curious in that taking a stance on making "hate speech" illegal somehow equates to tyranny.

To call it "tyranny" is overstated , questionable at best.
Is making hate speech illegal the same being put in a gulag for expressing any kind of discontent? No, but’s it’s still a limit on our freedoms and it gives the government the power to decide what is hateful and what isn’t. If we made hate speech illegal, we would be a long way from Nazi or Communist secret police banging on your door and killing you, but only one or two steps away from it invading churches or showing discontent over something logical like being against transgenders participating in sports. One step away from making Dave Chapelles latest Netflix comedy a hate crime. The left is just so sensitive that we will head in that direction fast. In Canada it’s a hate crime to call someone by the wrong pronoun. It’s good that people are kinder and treat each other with respect but I would prefer not to have a law mandating certain behavior. That is LITERALLY oppression.

Somehow this world view narrative definition of 'tyranny" being only "government oppression" is naively simplistic and falls short of what is accepted in modern times .
Not only government but anybody in power. School, parents, or maybe a queen bee at school telling people they can’t wear pink on Tuesdays. It’s bad no matter what. What makes government oppression worst of all other types is that they have police, an army, prisons, justice system. You have no defense against government oppression. So let’s stop it even at the smallest first steps, such as making hate speech illegal.

Compare societies like North Korea , Iran or Zimbabwe , which are tyrannical , Western societies like the U.S. wouldn't fall anywhere near that level. Well, the jury is still out on the U.S. with Trump driving the clown car.
Not saying you’re wrong but how exactly is Trump tyrannical? People were calling for his impeachment before he even took the oath of office. Plus he’s been under constant investigation. 50% of this country openly hates him and have no fear of voicing discontent. Explain the tyranny please.

Oh, but some might argue that goes against the 14th Amendment by bolstering an oppressive narrative which demeans equality and the Reconstructive Amendment's purpose of guaranteeing equal protection under the law.
Those words are not in the 14th Amendment. It’s just a certain wishful interpretation of it. It does say “any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” So if a queer wants to stand in Central Park and talk about the evils of the patriarchy and accuse Donald Trump of being a traitor, he has every right to. That is the literal interpretation of the 14th Amendment.

Now , it appears to be acceptable and not tyrannical regarding the laws on slander. I think it's safe to say , "hate speech" follows that vein of slander , albeit far worse in magnitude , yet it seems some believe it wrong to make "hate speech" illegal because that would be tyrannical.

The great thing about USA is the extent that we go into ensuring the freedoms and liberties granted to the individual. Sometimes it could get ugly but we shouldn’t take it for granted.

laws that are for the good of a civilized Democratic (non tyrannical) society there would be anarchy.
I agree 100%

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Eryk wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 pm
eponymousbosch?^ wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:51 pm
Which part of the Left is tyrannical, and how?
Any part of Marxism can be tyrannical. To me, attempting to regulate hate speech is tyranny. That is where tyranny starts.
That would be the definition of "Tyranny of the Majority"
kinda like what's going on in the U.S. Senate, eh?
I'm with you as far as regulating the 1st Amendment. It's a lot like cancer for the cure.

JAF

Post by JAF » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:52 am

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 pm
limoman wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:16 am
Eryk wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:43 am
or are you just going out of your way to be antagonistic?
Yes that pretty much sums up DS lately
Ooooh ... looky , looky ... it's limoman , coming out to play.
Let's be gentle with him folks , he's just getting over loosing his buddy Chris who got the boot from AA .
Along with the great exodus poor limoman has had to entertain himself. Maybe one day we may witness limoman contribute something of substance to topics.
It's a sad state of affairs. Limoman only comes to this house to be spiteful. Somehow that seems to be valued higher than those who come to engage in meaningful discussion...

DarkSide of the Moon

Post by DarkSide of the Moon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 am

JAF wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:52 am
It's a sad state of affairs. Limoman only comes to this house to be spiteful. Somehow that seems to be valued higher than those who come to engage in meaningful discussion...
Yes indeed. That's his schtick rarely ,if at all , adds anything of substance to topics. Lots a drive-by one liner snide comments .

DarkSide of the Moon

Post by DarkSide of the Moon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:02 am

Eryk wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Is making hate speech illegal the same being put in a gulag for expressing any kind of discontent? No, but’s it’s still a limit on our freedoms and it gives the government the power to decide what is hateful and what isn’t. If we made hate speech illegal, we would be a long way from Nazi or Communist secret police banging on your door and killing you, but only one or two steps away from it invading churches or showing discontent over something logical like being against transgenders participating in sports. One step away from making Dave Chapelles latest Netflix comedy a hate crime. The left is just so sensitive that we will head in that direction fast. In Canada it’s a hate crime to call someone by the wrong pronoun. It’s good that people are kinder and treat each other with respect but I would prefer not to have a law mandating certain behavior. That is LITERALLY oppression.
And there is an example of a simplistic naïve world view. Funny thing, there aren't police , secret or not , banging on doors , shipping people off to gulags or for that matter having any affect on every day life in Canada or other countries that "hate speech" is illegal. Of course your can prove, to use your preposterous claim ... " In Canada it’s a hate crime to call someone by the wrong pronoun ." exists and how it has a detrimental affect on their society, right? I mean you must have spent considerable time living in Canada or other countries that "hate speech" is illegal to be able to qualify your statements regarding those countries, right? Or are you basing your simplistic naive world view opinions from never have left the U.S. ?

Eryk wrote:
Not saying you’re wrong but how exactly is Trump tyrannical? People were calling for his impeachment before he even took the oath of office. Plus he’s been under constant investigation. 50% of this country openly hates him and have no fear of voicing discontent. Explain the tyranny please.
Relax dude.
It was an aside off-handed comment. This has nothing to do with Trump and no need to drive into the weeds. Unless of course he gets his way of suppressing journalists constitutional rights to free speech ... you know the ... "Fake News" " Enemy of the people".... mantra.
Eryk wrote:

Those words are not in the 14th Amendment. It’s just a certain wishful interpretation of it. It does say “any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” So if a queer wants to stand in Central Park and talk about the evils of the patriarchy and accuse Donald Trump of being a traitor, he has every right to. That is the literal interpretation of the 14th Amendment.
Never said they were.
Sure that's an interpretation and perhaps by those who are more scholarly in the constitution than you or I. You can agree with or not.

Eryk

Post by Eryk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 am

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:02 am
Eryk wrote:

And there is an example of a simplistic naïve world view. Funny thing, there aren't police , secret or not , banging on doors , shipping people off to gulags or for that matter having any affect on every day life in Canada or other countries that "hate speech" is illegal. Of course your can prove, to use your preposterous claim ... " In Canada it’s a hate crime to call someone by the wrong pronoun ." exists and how it has a detrimental affect on their society, right? I mean you must have spent considerable time living in Canada or other countries that "hate speech" is illegal to be able to qualify your statements regarding those countries, right? Or are you basing your simplistic naive world view opinions from never have left the U.S. ?
Im not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. You said I’m naive and simplistic but I don’t understand why. I explicitly said that making hate speech illegal is not the same as the secret police locking people in gulags. But you brought it up for some reason.

I don’t know if making hate speech illegal is detrimental to countries that have taken that step. I don’t care if it is or isn’t. If people would just shut up and do as they’re told, maybe the world would be a better place. Who knows?? I just know that I don’t like it as a matter of principle.
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:02 am
Unless of course he gets his way of suppressing journalists constitutional rights to free speech ... you know the ... "Fake News" " Enemy of the people".... mantra.
I don’t know what you are talking about. If Trump was trying to keep media outlets from doing their job, i would of course be opposed to that. I’m opposed to a lot of things Trump does.

However Libel is illegal and there are lawsuits. And Trump has every right to say “fake news” as part of the first amendment.