GOP Senator 'Disturbed' By McConnell Coordinating With Trump Staff On Impeachment December 26, 20199:59 AM ET

The biker bar of Awkward Arguments. All views welcome, bring a thick skin.

Moderators: DU Admin, DU MOD

Cat's Paw

GOP Senator 'Disturbed' By McConnell Coordinating With Trump Staff On Impeachment December 26, 20199:59 AM ET

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:03 pm

GOP Senator 'Disturbed' By McConnell Coordinating With Trump Staff On Impeachment
December 26, 20199:59 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/26/79143909 ... mpeachment

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said in a television interview that she is "disturbed" by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's coordination with President Trump and his staff on an impending impeachment trial.
Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call via Getty Images
Alaska Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski told a local television affiliate that she's "disturbed" by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's plans to use "total coordination" with the White House to set out President Trump's impeachment trial.

Murkowski, who remains a wild card in a potential Senate trial, has been tight-lipped on the effort. However, she shared her concerns with McConnell's recent comments in an interview with KTUU in Anchorage, Alaska.

"When I heard that, I was disturbed," she said.

McConnell ramped up his public appearances and interviews on Fox News in recent weeks, touting plans to work with the White House on the impeachment trial. On Dec. 12, days ahead of the House floor impeachment vote, McConnell told Fox News host Sean Hannity there's no chance Trump would be removed from the presidency in a trial.

"We'll be working through this process, hopefully in a fairly short period of time, in total coordination with the White House counsel's office and the people who are representing the president in the well of the Senate," McConnell said.

McConnell also slammed the impeachment case, calling it "weak" and saying "there will be no difference between the president's position and our position as to how to handle this."

His comments came in the wake of weeks of meetings between groups of Republican senators, White House staff and Trump himself to discuss the impeachment trial and process.

"We have to take that step back from being hand in glove with the defense," Murkowski told KTUU. "And so [when] I ... heard what Leader McConnell had said, I happened to think that that has further confused the process."

House lawmakers impeached Trump for two articles — abuse of power and obstruction of Congress — on Dec. 18, shortly before lawmakers returned home for a holiday recess. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has yet to transmit the articles to the Senate, putting a trial in limbo until lawmakers for the lower chamber return Jan. 7.

Trump, White House officials and their Republican Senate allies have said they want to see a robust defense of the president in the trial. But Murkowski says she's maintaining impartiality for her role as a juror.

"For me to prejudge and say 'there's nothing there,' or on the other hand, 'he should be impeached yesterday,' that's wrong, in my view, that's wrong," she said.

Murkowski also raised concern that the House rushed the impeachment process, as some members called for its completion before the holiday recess.

Murkowski isn't the only Republican wild card in a potential Senate trial. Sens. Mitt Romney of Utah and Susan Collins of Maine have also held back their plans for how they may vote in an impeachment trial.

Murkowski lauded the approach.

"If it means that I am viewed as one who looks openly and critically at every issue in front of me, rather than acting as a rubber stamp for my party or my president, I'm totally good with that," she said.

Murkowski's office didn't immediately respond to NPR's request for comment.

Cat's Paw

Re: GOP Senator 'Disturbed' By McConnell Coordinating With Trump Staff On Impeachment December 26, 20199:59 AM ET

Post by Cat's Paw » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:08 pm

This is more fun than Football!

Senor Natural

Re: GOP Senator 'Disturbed' By McConnell Coordinating With Trump Staff On Impeachment December 26, 20199:59 AM ET

Post by Senor Natural » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:53 pm

More GOP senators should be concerned about Turnip . . . he's a criminal, con man, constant liar, a national embarrassment, unconstitutional in many ways.
They should throw him out.
We could endure Pence for the rest of the term . . .then throw him out.
He is unelectable.

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 am

Cat's Paw wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:03 pm
GOP Senator 'Disturbed' By McConnell Coordinating With Trump Staff On Impeachment
December 26, 20199:59 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/26/79143909 ... mpeachment

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said in a television interview that she is "disturbed" by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's coordination with President Trump and his staff on an impending impeachment trial.
Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call via Getty Images
Alaska Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski told a local television affiliate that she's "disturbed" by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's plans to use "total coordination" with the White House to set out President Trump's impeachment trial.

Murkowski, who remains a wild card in a potential Senate trial, has been tight-lipped on the effort. However, she shared her concerns with McConnell's recent comments in an interview with KTUU in Anchorage, Alaska.

"When I heard that, I was disturbed," she said.

McConnell ramped up his public appearances and interviews on Fox News in recent weeks, touting plans to work with the White House on the impeachment trial. On Dec. 12, days ahead of the House floor impeachment vote, McConnell told Fox News host Sean Hannity there's no chance Trump would be removed from the presidency in a trial.

"We'll be working through this process, hopefully in a fairly short period of time, in total coordination with the White House counsel's office and the people who are representing the president in the well of the Senate," McConnell said.

McConnell also slammed the impeachment case, calling it "weak" and saying "there will be no difference between the president's position and our position as to how to handle this."

His comments came in the wake of weeks of meetings between groups of Republican senators, White House staff and Trump himself to discuss the impeachment trial and process.

"We have to take that step back from being hand in glove with the defense," Murkowski told KTUU. "And so [when] I ... heard what Leader McConnell had said, I happened to think that that has further confused the process."

House lawmakers impeached Trump for two articles — abuse of power and obstruction of Congress — on Dec. 18, shortly before lawmakers returned home for a holiday recess. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has yet to transmit the articles to the Senate, putting a trial in limbo until lawmakers for the lower chamber return Jan. 7.

Trump, White House officials and their Republican Senate allies have said they want to see a robust defense of the president in the trial. But Murkowski says she's maintaining impartiality for her role as a juror.

"For me to prejudge and say 'there's nothing there,' or on the other hand, 'he should be impeached yesterday,' that's wrong, in my view, that's wrong," she said.

Murkowski also raised concern that the House rushed the impeachment process, as some members called for its completion before the holiday recess.

Murkowski isn't the only Republican wild card in a potential Senate trial. Sens. Mitt Romney of Utah and Susan Collins of Maine have also held back their plans for how they may vote in an impeachment trial.

Murkowski lauded the approach.

"If it means that I am viewed as one who looks openly and critically at every issue in front of me, rather than acting as a rubber stamp for my party or my president, I'm totally good with that," she said.

Murkowski's office didn't immediately respond to NPR's request for comment.
Actions speak louder than words, Lisa...….
Your fearless leader has all but confessed to exercising a continued obstruction of justice. He's had more than enough practice, by obstructing legislation, no?
And as for Mitch bloviating over the weakness of the Articles of Impeachment of which he has said he intends to run over, like a deer in the headlights, he, and the rest of the mob in Congress, when they're not too busy eating take-out pizza in the hallways, have pumped up their Man in the Mansion, who continues to defy subpoena after subpoena.As a result, since the party rubes are fine to crow about the Demos not having enough evidence, Mitch can easily blow off the kinds of innuendo of which he accuses the House of insinuating.
Maybe you are finally up to your neck in the waters of epiphany, Lisa. But I doubt it. Perhaps you're only keeping your foot in the door in case you need to bail out without further notice, eh?

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Nancy isn't holding the impeachment so that new witnesses can be called.
Rather she is holding the impeachment, until existing subpoenas are obeyed.
- that's my take. Happy New Year! 20200101 ... or 01012020

Cat's Paw

Post by Cat's Paw » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Does anyone take Trump seriously.
I know Mitch is protecting him, but even he must be disgusted by the Buffoon in Chief.
In fact, as we investigate Russian aggressions against US, their influence over the NRA will be exposed.
NRA's influence on our elections will come to light.
Most of the GOP should be impeached!

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:08 pm

Almost all of the GOP senators are 'Disturbed'.

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Cat's Paw wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:39 pm
Nancy isn't holding the impeachment so that new witnesses can be called.
Rather she is holding the impeachment, until existing subpoenas are obeyed.
- that's my take. Happy New Year! 20200101 ... or 01012020
Well said.

Eryk

Post by Eryk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:53 pm
More GOP senators should be concerned about Turnip . . . he's a criminal, con man, constant liar, a national embarrassment, unconstitutional in many ways.
He is unelectable.
There lies the problem. Trump is nearly unbeatable right now. Changing course now would almost guarantee that the Republicans lose the White House in 2020. Bad political move for GOP Senators. There is a red wave coming in 2020, why try and sabotage that?

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Eryk wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Senor Natural wrote:
He is unelectable.
There lies the problem. Trump is nearly unbeatable right now. Changing course now would almost guarantee that the Republicans lose the White House in 2020. Bad political move for GOP Senators. There is a red wave coming in 2020, why try and sabotage that?
Why not?

Eryk

Post by Eryk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:54 am

eponymousbosch?^ wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm
Eryk wrote:
Senor Natural wrote:
He is unelectable.
Why not?
Well if you are a Democrat or oppose the Republicans then yes, you should definitely try and sabotage.

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Eryk wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:54 am
eponymousbosch?^ wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm
Eryk wrote:

Why not?
Well if you are a Democrat or oppose the Republicans then yes, you should definitely try and sabotage.
Well, I'm neither Deo OR Repo...I do enjoy telling people with no sense of humor, that I'm a Progressive Nihilist. THAT might be considered a tasty morsel on "Twitter".....I'm not really interested in committing acts of sabotage against Trump or his auctioneer defenders, either. I can't imagine how such tactics would work anyway. If people can't see trump's short-sentence/eight-year-old texts for what they are, they'll probably not acknowledge any existential truth of the Prez's forced vacating from office, even if Christ Himself flogged him out of the Temple...…..