Whistles & Bells Wednesday Open Thread, No Politics

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Mr. Buh The Watchful

Whistles & Bells Wednesday Open Thread, No Politics

Post by Mr. Buh The Watchful » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:05 am

7DCC3ECD-9AC5-4BE8-AC65-5CCD4F785745.jpeg

I just went with a friend to buy a new car. He got a top of the line model, with all the fancy options. I’m the sort of person who likely would have passed on some of the flashier options, (rims!), but not the safety or comfort options. I know part of the appeal of a few of the upgrades was β€œthey look cool!” Are you likely to spend more to make your car look good, be more comfortable, provide conveniences,or would you be more likely to just save the money & get a basic model?

Mr. Buh The Watchful

Re: Whistles & Bells Wednesday Open Thread, No Politics

Post by Mr. Buh The Watchful » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:09 am

I’d have trouble getting used to push button gear shifting, but it sure would be nice not to have that gear stick blocking the center console. All in all, Good Job Honda! πŸ‘

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:31 am

Rick has push button shifting in his Prius, I would miss the shifting I think
There are some things I consider mandatory that others might think are luxuries:

A/C
Power windows, locks etc
Good Stereo ( preferably Bose speakers at least)
Auto Start
Cloth Seats ( leather looks cool and easier to keep clean...but you stick to it in the heat and it is cold in winter)
Rear windshield wipers
Seats that lean all the way back
Choice of color and NOT balck, white or metallic colors
Rack on the top
Heated seats
Warning Lights for blind spots
Power rear door

Things I might get if I had the extra money:
Moon Roof
Multiple disc CD player
Ashtray/Lighter
An unusal color

Things I have now and could care less but I couldn't get it without:
The whole map quest thing ( the few times I have used this it wasn't very good, so I don't anymore, I have paper maps or look it up online ahead of time if I know what I need)
The female voice talking to me ( I never use this...lol), probably not, but if it was a sexy guy voice I might listen...lol
And the whole hook up a smartphone to the dash thing
I think I might have voice activation for stuff on the dash, but, I never use it , so not sure, but, maybe I might

Things I don't really care about that I don't have
Fancy Rims
Extra trim etc on the outside

All my new cars I bought off the lot, so, I usually have to settle in some ways...I think I both get practical stuff and some extra stuff I just like to have...

If I had more money I would like to custom design a car, especially for color and some other features

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:28 am

Z is for Zangie wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:31 am
The female voice talking to me ( I never use this...lol), probably not, but if it was a sexy guy voice I might listen...lol
Interestingly enough, the United States Air Force did a bunch of studies on this very subject, starting back in the 1960's. They were looking for ways to improve audio alerts in the cockpit of fighter jets, because the regular beeps whistles and bells were getting too confusing for the pilots. So they tried recordings of voices and performance improved. Then they looked at what kind of voice was best, and it was almost universally female. Don't ask me why.

Then things got weird, and they started giving the alerts a sort of personality. Like a little girl's voice saying "Daddy, there's a missile locked onto us." Weirdly this really worked well, but the pilots didn't like it much.

However, even today audio interfaces with computers are almost universally female. I selected an Australian accent for my Android phone, which I thought was hilarious, but "she" reverts back to an American accent for a lot of things. You can also chose various male voices, but I hear they aren't very popular. (Yes, as a matter of fact there is an Australian Male accent. And a British male and female accent.)

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 am

Tarmaque wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:28 am
Z is for Zangie wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:31 am
Interestingly enough, the United States Air Force did a bunch of studies on this very subject, starting back in the 1960's. They were looking for ways to improve audio alerts in the cockpit of fighter jets, because the regular beeps whistles and bells were getting too confusing for the pilots. So they tried recordings of voices and performance improved. Then they looked at what kind of voice was best, and it was almost universally female. Don't ask me why.

Then things got weird, and they started giving the alerts a sort of personality. Like a little girl's voice saying "Daddy, there's a missile locked onto us." Weirdly this really worked well, but the pilots didn't like it much.

However, even today audio interfaces with computers are almost universally female. I selected an Australian accent for my Android phone, which I thought was hilarious, but "she" reverts back to an American accent for a lot of things. You can also chose various male voices, but I hear they aren't very popular. (Yes, as a matter of fact there is an Australian Male accent. And a British male and female accent.)
Well, most of the women I know don't really like how they sound
This may be a gender thing and more men pay attention to it or are using it
This also flies in the face of studies that say not just children and dogs, but women respond better to male voices, especially authoritative ones

For whatever reason, I don't like listening to female voices, especially the girly sounding ones...there are even quite a few female singers I don't like their voices

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 pm

My car is a decade old. I would have gotten manual window cranks if they were available... as it is, I had to order the manual transmission.

Same topic, different venue: we re-did our kitchen a couple years ago. There was a multi-month delay between when we ordered the appliances, and when we could finally take delivery. In that time, the simple fridge (no water dispenser or ice maker) we ordered stopped being produced. In the context of having spent tens of thousands on the whole project, we thusly decided to upgrade the fridge. Got the LG counter depth French door thing with ice and water dispenser. It also has a glass mini-door that you tap, and it lights up to show what’s in that door compartment.

It is gimmicky to the extreme! Or it seems so at first... but I gotta tell you, that door is an awesome feature. What happens is that opening a regular fridge door always makes the fridge lose lots of cold air. This makes it work harder, which wears it out more quickly... and leads to quicker spoilage of food. So if you keep your most-used items in that door compartment, then a) you can just tap to see if you need more, and b) open only a small door to get the item you need, thereby keeping the cold air loss to a minimum.

Sometimes the bells and whistles are good πŸ˜€

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Mr. Buh The Watchful wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:05 am

I just went with a friend to buy a new car. He got a top of the line model, with all the fancy options. I’m the sort of person who likely would have passed on some of the flashier options, (rims!), but not the safety or comfort options. I know part of the appeal of a few of the upgrades was β€œthey look cool!” Are you likely to spend more to make your car look good, be more comfortable, provide conveniences,or would you be more likely to just save the money & get a basic model?
basic model

Mysterious Cat

Post by Mysterious Cat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:54 pm

My high school health teacher had a car with a push button transmission. This was like several decades ago, and the car was probably several decades older than that.

If I had a choice I would probably get a Lotus, which is a 250 hp engine on a go-cart frame. In keeping with the lighter-is-better philosophy all bells and whistles, including a/c, adjustable passenger seats, carpet, etc. were previously strictly forbidden. Doors were kept for market purposes, although if you needed one to get in you weren't likely to fit inside anyway. Recently however I saw an Elise, which is their more road as opposed to track model, and it had a radio. So it appears they are getting soft in their old age.

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Mysterious Cat wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:54 pm
My high school health teacher had a car with a push button transmission. This was like several decades ago, and the car was probably several decades older than that.

If I had a choice I would probably get a Lotus, which is a 250 hp engine on a go-cart frame. In keeping with the lighter-is-better philosophy all bells and whistles, including a/c, adjustable passenger seats, carpet, etc. were previously strictly forbidden. Doors were kept for market purposes, although if you needed one to get in you weren't likely to fit inside anyway. Recently however I saw an Elise, which is their more road as opposed to track model, and it had a radio. So it appears they are getting soft in their old age.
The Super Seven?
Number Sixes groovy car in the beginning of "The Prisoner"?
NEATO...............

eponymousbosch?^

Post by eponymousbosch?^ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:00 pm

eponymousbosch?^ wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:58 pm

The Super Seven?
Number Sixes groovy car in the beginning of "The Prisoner"?
NEATO...............

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 pm

I'm all about function over form. @DarkPaisley is all about form over function. It makes some interesting conversations.

Like I often joked when we were bringing this site up, you don't want me doing web design, it would basically look like a spread sheet.

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 pm

I saw an Elise, which is their more road as opposed to track model,
The Lotus Elise is actually powered by a Toyota engine, and is a very nice car. A friend of mine had one 12-15 years ago that he did a lot of work on, adding a turbo and doing a lot of engine work. That little thing was making around 500hp. I never rode in it, but word is it was a scary little car. 500hp in a 2000lb car is substantial.

The Lotus Elise is also the car the first Tesla Roadsters were based on. Same bodywork. Also, the same car Elon sent to Mars.

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 pm
I'm all about function over form. @DarkPaisley is all about form over function. It makes some interesting conversations.

Like I often joked when we were bringing this site up, you don't want me doing web design, it would basically look like a spread sheet.
Heheh. Site administrator who double posts. πŸ€£πŸ‘

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm
Heheh. Site administrator who double posts. 🀣
Yeah, I tend to be a double clicker which is very very bad here..

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm
I use Elementary OS on my laptops (and maybe soon on my desktop) which has single-click open enabled out of the box for a lot of things. It's very irritating, but easy enough to change in the settings.

(So for instance in the "Pantheon" file browser, if you single click on a file or directory it opens it instead of selecting it. If you double click on a file or directory you open two itinerations of it. I have no idea why anyone would want this, but at least it's easy to disable. Generally speaking I quite like Pantheon, but it has its idiosyncrasies. It's much like Apple's "Finder" file browser, but with some Windows-like functionality)

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:11 pm
(So for instance in the "Pantheon" file browser, if you single click on a file or directory it opens it instead of selecting it. If you double click on a file or directory you open two itinerations of it. I have no idea why anyone would want this, but at least it's easy to disable. Generally speaking I quite like Pantheon, but it has its idiosyncrasies. It's much like Apple's "Finder" file browser, but with some Windows-like functionality)
That sounds like an engineer who thought he was smarter then the room.

Mysterious Cat

Post by Mysterious Cat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 pm
The Lotus Elise is actually powered by a Toyota engine, and is a very nice car.
Yepperooni- my understanding is that they use Toyota engines in the states, because the Rolls Royce engines they use in the UK don't meet the emission standards here.

The Mazda Miata is also basically a Lotus Elan, reborn for the contemporaneous generation of mid-life crisis sufferers.

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:41 pm
Yepperooni- my understanding is that they use Toyota engines in the states, because the Rolls Royce engines they use in the UK don't meet the emission standards here.
No, they use Toyota engines everywhere now. Dunno where you get "Rolls Royce" engines. Early Elise cars used Rover K-series engines, but all newer Elises use Toyota engines. Basically the same engine from the Toyota Corolla in a higher state of tune. The Lotus Exige uses an optional Toyota supercharged V6 engine as well as the 4 cylinder Toyota engine.

The Mazda MX5 (known in the US as the Miata) has no relationship to Lotus. However, Lotus was involved with the development of the defunct Toyota MR2.

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 pm
That sounds like an engineer who thought he was smarter then the room.
I don't think so. Elementary OS has a distinct design philosophy and is catering to MacOS users wanting to switch to Linux. The idea is to make everything as simple as possible, and in someone's mind that was "simpler" than double clicking. I can see it, although it goes against everything in OS graphical design in the last 40 years. If you had never seen a graphical interface before I think it would make sense. However trying to train out 35 years of habit is an exercise in futility. And like I said, they made it easy to turn off.

Now me, I like a Debian installation running XFCE. However it's one of those that take a LOT of tweaking to get it how I like it. (It's extremely configurable) But Elementary OS does most of what I want it to do right out of the box. I haven't managed to convince myself to replace MacOS with anything else yet, but I'm getting close.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 pm
The idea is to make everything as simple as possible, and in someone's mind that was "simpler" than double clicking. I can see it, although it goes against everything in OS graphical design in the last 40 years. If you had never seen a graphical interface before I think it would make sense. However trying to train out 35 years of habit is an exercise in futility. And like I said, they made it easy to turn off.
That's exactly what I meant
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 pm
Now me, I like a Debian installation running XFCE.
I learned Linux on Debian back before there were standard graphic packages. Someone handed me a PC, some disks and said, "Let me know when you get X-windows up and running."

My first install booted up with the error message, "I have no root and I want to scream" great Harlin Ellison reference, frustrating error code. LOL.

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:18 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm
I learned Linux on Debian back before there were standard graphic packages. Someone handed me a PC, some disks and said, "Let me know when you get X-windows up and running."

My first install booted up with the error message, "I have no root and I want to scream" great Harlin Ellison reference, frustrating error code. LOL.
Haha! Yeah, I first installed Debian way back in 1999 or so from a stack full of CDs I got from some foundation for a small donation. I actually got it up and running with a very minimalist GUI window manager (Blackbox, if I remember right.) KDE was really the only other realistic option at the time, although Gnome was starting to appear. Both of them were not really ready for prime time, but KDE was at least usable. A buddy of mine gave me his UNIX primer and I spent about 6 months fiddling with it. Then Apple released their OSX public beta and I stopped messing with Linux for nearly a decade. It changed a lot in that amount of time. Lots of flavors, lots of different GUIs, and a bunch of different kernels. I've tried a lot of them, but mostly in the Debian branch of development. I haven't tried any Red Had/Fedora distributions and only one Slackware (OpenSUSE) option. Some day I should look at ArchLinux and Gentoo, just for completeness. It's easy to try a new distribution with Virtualbox.

Mr. Buh The Watchful

Post by Mr. Buh The Watchful » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:57 pm

I think they are getting soft! Husband used to race for them back in the 60s & also sold them new when they were a kit car. To get around crippling taxes at the time, Lotus sold their cars in Britain unassembled, as a DYI project for the average gearhead. All kinds of fines & penalties if the dealer assembled the car rather than the purchaser. After several lawsuits of various sorts, including warranty suits, that πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ Idea was scrapped.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Wife is going to retire in 2021, has told me what kind of car she would like when we do get another one. I'll get her top of the line, all the bells and whistles and all the safety options, Platinum model with AWD and a Hybrid since that's what she wants. When the time comes, I'll get her a self-driving car. Self-driving cars will keep us independent and going far longer than just owning a totally driver dependent car.
Her present car had everything available and is 9 years old - I covet it, so I'll keep it for myself as a drive around town car.
My 10 year oldPlatinum pickup, loaded, 4WD, Tow package and the works is still great but a bit of a gas guzzler. It only has 109,000 miles, used mostly for the ranch, and it great there. When I do decide to retire it and replace it, I'm getting a Tesla AWD, 4 motor, 500 mile before recharge, self-driving, loaded pickup. I'll make that truck last 20 years.
When I re-roof the house, it will be metal with 30 solar panels or more, so I'll install a charger in the garage. I roofed the ranch house with a metal roof and will install solar panels there and put a charger.
All that will knock our electricity bills to nothing, maybe even sell electricity at the ranch, and knock our gasoline bill to almost nothing.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 pm

eponymousbosch?^ wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:52 pm
Mr. Buh The Watchful wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:05 am

basic model
I would have guessed that for you...lol

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:39 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm
Heheh. Site administrator who double posts. 🀣
I fixed it for you...lol