Space Food Saturday Open Thread, No Politics

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Mr. Buh The Watchful

Space Food Saturday Open Thread, No Politics

Post by Mr. Buh The Watchful » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:00 am

B6E00269-64BE-4F57-97CF-8E9BDC4E2D2E.jpeg

I watched a YouTube video of a couple of Tokyo food vloggers I follow tasting Japanese government certified space food, which they are selling in Japan to drum up extra interest in their space program. I would definitely try the freeze dried takoyaki, which are pancake balls stuffed with octopus & topped with a special sauce, mayo & shaved bonito flakes. Without the sauces the space verson looked easy to eat as a finger food & the tasters said they tasted like a crunchy version of the traditional takoyaki. I’d try them! I recall Space Food Sticks from when I was a kid. Those were yucky. They were like a waxy, down market Tootsie Roll! Blech! The freeze dried ice cream was OK once as a novelty. Have you tried any astronaut food of any sort? Anything really good - or really bad?

Z is for Zangie

Re: Space Food Saturday Open Thread, No Politics

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:18 am

I have not tried any, I don't even remember it being available in any way...
And that octopus thing? No Way...lol

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:47 am

We used to eat "Space Food Sticks" all the time when I was a kid. My Mom considered it "not candy" so it was okay for a snack. We liked the chocolate ones, but the other flavors (primarily vanilla and strawberry) were pretty awful.

I also remember trying "Tang" on and off, but never really liking it. Probably mostly because my Grandmother always had frozen orange juice concentrate around (and lemonade, both pink and regular) and Kool-aid packets in a variety of flavors. My other Grandmother always had "Hawaiian Punch" in those big tin cans. I actually rather liked the stuff, but it wouldn't be my choice if there was OJ around.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 am

I forgot about Tang...I have had that...lol

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm

Who else fell victim to the "Carob" fad back in the 70's? That stuff was like eating vaguely chocolate flavored tree-bark.

It astounds me that there are still fans of it in the "health food" community. These are people who think that things must have terrible mouth feel and worse flavor in order for it to be "healthy."

Mr. Buh The Watchful

Post by Mr. Buh The Watchful » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:06 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Who else fell victim to the "Carob" fad back in the 70's? That stuff was like eating vaguely chocolate flavored tree-bark.

It astounds me that there are still fans of it in the "health food" community. These are people who think that things must have terrible mouth feel and worse flavor in order for it to be "healthy."
My mom, who was heavy into Faux Food, but not a hippie who would go to the Co-op in Berkeley, was into carob. She used to have me get carob powder for her & she’d stir it into non fat milk (heated) & claim it was better than my hot chocolate I made with Lindt chocolate melted & whisked into heated half & half, topped with a dollop of freshly made vanilla bean whipped cream. I agreed that hers was much better than mine at tecreating the childhood experence of eating dirt. 😈

In the neighborhood
Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Mr. Buh The Watchful wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:06 pm
my hot chocolate I made with Lindt chocolate melted & whisked into heated half & half, topped with a dollop of freshly made vanilla bean whipped cream
I see now why we are friends! Try it with brown sugar.