Sitting and Standing on the Saturday Political Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

In the neighborhood
Z is for Zangie

Sitting and Standing on the Saturday Political Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 am

Good Morning! Have a Sane and Super Saturday!
eeee.jpeg

Mike

Re: Sitting and Standing on the Saturday Political Open Thread

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 pm

She then turned the camera to expose her face, the complaint noted, and said, “Y’all know who to hire for your Realtor, Jenna Ryan for your Realtor.” Nearly halfway through, Ryan appears to have made it to the front door, chanting, “USA, USA” and “Here we are, in the name of Jesus.”

In an interview with KTVT-TV in Fort Worth, Ryan said she hoped that Trump would pardon her.

“I just want people to know I’m a normal person, that I listen to my president who told me to go to the Capitol, that I was displaying my patriotism while I was there and I was just protesting and I wasn’t trying to do anything violent and I didn’t realize there was actually violence,” Ryan said.

in the name of Jesus..... lol

Randi

Post by Randi » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:13 pm

Mike wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 pm
“I just want people to know I’m a normal person, that I listen to my president who told me to go to the Capitol, that I was displaying my patriotism while I was there and I was just protesting and I wasn’t trying to do anything violent and I didn’t realize there was actually violence,” Ryan said.

I thought patriotism was for the constitution not the president
I don’t know about Texas Real Estate but in PA we follow fair housing directives. Why do I have the feeling she doesn’t follow those?
The insurrectionists aren’t the poor, down trodden masses, that’s for sure A CEO of a tech company, A Texas Flower shop owner, and a successful real estate agent.
How do you run a business and take off time to do stupid $hit? Most business owners I know are lucky to take a week off to go to the beach. How do you have the time to get all wrapped up in a political movement?

Whynotsomething?

Post by Whynotsomething? » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Mike wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 pm
"If God is for us, who can be against us?" -- Romans 8:31

"In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time. " --- Abraham Lincoln, September 1862

There are millions of people in the US who see Trump's presidency, and this revolution designed to keep him in power, as a religious event. That's what cults do. It doesn't matter if it's ISIS sacking cities or "Christians" killing abortion doctors, the whole "I know that God wants me to do this" excuse has been the justification for countless horrors for thousands of years.

These millions of our citizens see the Hand of God controlling/influencing everything in their daily lives....and, as ridiculous as it might sound to you and me, they have REALLY latched on to the idea that that Hand is pointing to Donald Trump as their Leader/Savior.

I agree with you that it's "lol" :lol:

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:22 pm

Etymology is fun.
patriot (n.)
1590s, "compatriot," from French patriote (15c.) and directly from Late Latin patriota "fellow-countryman" (6c.), from Greek patriotes "fellow countryman," from patrios "of one's fathers," patris "fatherland," from pater (genitive patros) "father" (see father (n.)); with -otes, suffix expressing state or condition. Liddell & Scott write that patriotes was "applied to barbarians who had only a common [patris], [politai] being used of Greeks who had a common [polis] (or free-state)."

Meaning "loyal and disinterested lover and defender of one's country and its interests" is attested from c. 1600, but it became an ironic term of ridicule or abuse from mid-18c. in England, so that Johnson, who at first defined it as "one whose ruling passion is the love of his country," in his fourth edition added, "It is sometimes used for a factious disturber of the government."

The name of patriot had become [c. 1744] a by-word of derision. Horace Walpole scarcely exaggerated when he said that ... the most popular declaration which a candidate could make on the hustings was that he had never been and never would be a patriot. [Macaulay, "Horace Walpole," 1833]
So a "patriot" is one who unthinkingly obeys the father, in this case, the President.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Yep... patriot, patriarchy.

The whole ‘loyalty’ thing has always stuck in my craw. Those who demand it are, like trump, rarely if ever giving it themselves. And love of country? Iranians love their country, Russians love theirs..... it’s an accident of birth, not a trait of outstanding virtue.

Btw, Lincoln was wrong. God is indeed for and against things all the time. Even as the land is built up by volcanoes, it is eroded away by wind and water (and now man). Even as creatures are being born, creatures sicken and die. His point of course was something different (apparently atheist??).

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:08 am

My American flag is out on display. For MLK, for the Biden inauguration.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 am

Mike wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:08 am
My American flag is out on display. For MLK, for the Biden inauguration.
My flags fly everyday.
My Biden signs at home are still up.
The last of the Trump signs around here came down after last Wednesday.
My two Biden signs are still up at the ranch, too. They were defaced a few days after the election when it was apparent Biden had won. Someone took a black magic marker and put a big X over each of them. They were two sided signs, and I had them mounted on the fence, one side out toward the road, so, I turned them around, where the unmarked side faces the road now.
No one has messed with them since.
After the inauguration, I may take them down and save the best one with my last Obama-Biden sign from 2012.
Flag at home and at the ranch are always up, change them out with a new one when they fade and fray, take the old ones to the VFW hall where they dispose of them respectfully.
I keep a couple of spares at both the house and the ranch.
Texas secessionists only fly Texas flags down here. That is where you always saw Trump flags and signs, too.
Despite what they claim, Trumpanzees are not patriots.