Sugary Sweetness on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Sugary Sweetness on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:58 am

2011-07-24%2018.36.33.jpg
HGC_4715.jpg
photo-1578985545062-69928b1d9587.jpg
I think we did donuts before, but, it must have been a while. I prefer donuts, especially that crushed peanut fried cake ( this is a pic of Tim Horton's version which there isn't one in my county, the local Dunkin Donuts where I used to get them doesn't make them anymore and I am wondering if it is due to peanut allergies ( like Subway doesn't make their awesome peanut butter cookies anymore for that reason)...sigh. Pies are my second favorite of this group, especially Dutch Apple, Cherry and Strawberry, but, I like almost all of them except coconut cream, pecan, and mince. Cakes are my least favorite, especially plain white cakes, and if they aren't real moist and not dry and don't have buttercream frosting ( can't stand the sugar-based ones) I don't like them at all, I do like Confetti Cake and Chocolate. Your views?

Slip Shod

Re: Sugary Sweetness on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:46 am

9zXs0kIygqLfqRjAQP.gif
9zXs0kIygqLfqRjAQP.gif (7.26 MiB) Viewed 1609 times
~
A cup of black coffee and lemon-filled donut ✔. And cake is best when shared with friends
~
It's the dessert that will be found all over down south - banana pudding / vanilla wafers
EasyBananaPudding003.jpg

Randi

Post by Randi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:16 pm

There was a rumor pre pandemic that’s we were going to get a Tim Hortons here. It never materialized.
We do have a Dunkin Donuts and of course Sheetz. I like brownies and the chocolate peanut butter no bakes. And I’m trying to cut back on all the sweet stuff :( because I have a family history of diabetes and I don’t want to travel down that road

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:57 pm

Randi wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:16 pm
I have a family history of diabetes and I don’t want to travel down that road
Let me tell you from experience, you really don't.

Mysterious Cat

Post by Mysterious Cat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 pm

I don't have a big sweet tooth. When I do eat sweets it is usually ice cream. Interestingly I have been on a crazy exercise kick recently, during which I have also cut out all sugary sweets. I lost some weight but the relative amount of fat around my belly seemed to stay the same. Then when I went to visit my parents I took some exercise time off and had some sweet foods, and I appeared to actually lose more fat during this time. This might be evidence of the "starvation mode" phenomena, where if you stop eating sweets your body thinks your energy supply is compromised, and holds on to your body fat just in case. Bodybuilders, who have to both build muscle and keep off fat, generally do not eat any sweets. However, they often have a once a week "cheat day" where they eat a small sweet treat to remind their bodies that that all is well and there is no need to go into full on apocaplyse survival mode. But anyway I also like fruit pies, especially apple. Cakes, cookies, brownies, doughnuts, etc. are mostly too much for me at this point.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:05 am

Mysterious Cat wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 pm
Bodybuilders, who have to both build muscle and keep off fat, generally do not eat any sweets.
Sugar is just a complex carbohydrate, and so is starch. Starch can come in various forms, like potatoes and rice and white flour. Note this is important for us diabetics. Those are all things I'm supposed to avoid.

Now go read about the various Marvel actors who have to maintain those really cut bodies. First of all, most of them were in really good shape to start with. However prior to doing a Marvel movie they generally spend a few months prior to shooting working with a personal trainer to give them that "superhero" body. This includes not only workouts, but very strict diets.

I saw an interview with Chris Evans (Captain America) where he commented that he was so tired of eating nothing but boiled chicken and white rice every two hours. That was literally his diet. A proper mix of protein and carbs, on regular and fairly frequent schedule. Not large amounts, but constantly. The carbs are necessary for the very reason you mentioned; if your body doesn't have them it uses whatever calories you take in to build as much fat as it can. In order to be stupidly cut like Chris Evans or Chris Hemsworth or any of the other of those actors (even including Robert Downey Junior and Paul Rudd) that's what you have to do.

Even Scarlett Johansen isn't immune. She said once "I try never to get more than three months from catsuit." Meaning it was a pain in the ass to look like she did in those movies, but she couldn't let herself go too far between them.

I also saw an interview with Alicia Vikander after she did Tomb Raider. She's a very small person and wasn't very strong to begin with, so in order to play super adventurer Lara Croft she spent six months training. After filming when she stopped training, she said it only took her two weeks to lose it all. Which is kinda crazy because she's still gorgeous, but she lost all that muscle tone it took her months to attain in only a fortnight.

Or take another more extreme example. Hugh Jackman got ripped to play Wolverine in those various movies. In particular in The Wolverine he looked insanely defined. It actually was insane. In order to maintain that definition he would severely dehydrate himself. In many of those scenes he was close to collapse. No one asked him to do this. It was his idea, based on advice from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:57 pm

I have no desire whatsoever to eat any of that.