Tempting Takes on the Tuesday Political Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Tempting Takes on the Tuesday Political Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:11 am

Good Morning! ( or evening, and I know these can be quite early now for some of you.) Have a terrific Tuesday!
gv113021dAPR.jpg

Randi

Re: Tempting Takes on the Tuesday Political Open Thread

Post by Randi » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:01 pm

I’m pretty sure I will be traveling around in Miss Vanna for some time to come. Mostly because I’m cheap lol
I have thought about hybrids and electric cars.
I know that some of the electric cars are wicked fast but if they don’t make the big noise a muscle car makes, will they be popular?

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Randi wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:01 pm
I’m pretty sure I will be traveling around in Miss Vanna for some time to come. Mostly because I’m cheap lol
I have thought about hybrids and electric cars.
I know that some of the electric cars are wicked fast but if they don’t make the big noise a muscle car makes, will they be popular?
That question is the bane of rational existence.

Imagine if the auto industry had put even five percent of the marketing muscle they put into SUVs over the past three decades into electric vehicles.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:42 pm

Shutting down pipelines, shutting down exploration, dipping into to the oil reserve and yet asking OPEC to increase reproduction, negatively impacts our economy in so many ways .
Fact .. Oil is the lifeblood of the planet. Another fact.. oil is incredibly important but only 46% of a barrel of crude is turned into gasoline. The rest, 54% becomes so many vital products we need and require from fertilizer, clothing utensils, automotive industry, asphalt, building supplies, roofing on and on and on.
The Biden Administration's oil policies not only affect our gas prices at the pump, but goes on the impact our entire economy, manufacturing, jobs -- our country's well-being. We have an Administration filled with college-educated losers who never ran a business ( Biden ) - ideologues who think 'they know best' .. political hacks who intend to change this country and it won't be for the best.
And you voted him in.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Fear-monger much? ROFL

You know, often we hear the staunch supporters of the carbon-based energy industries making such false-dichotomy claims. As a more widespread adoption of solar power will suddenly shut down the entire apparatus, thereby destroying the world economy. Sorry shoddy, but you’re full of it. First off, when did anyone ask opec to increase reproduction? That certainly is not a liberal thing, given our support of birth control (badamp-bump!).

But seriously, remember that the auto-energy consortium of the 1940s and 50s conspired, successfully, to eliminate electric streetcars in cities and towns across the land. That put builders, conductors, installers, maintainers, planners etc out of work, right? Did those people and their families curl up and die? no - they adapted to the new economy. They went to work paving highways, building cars, loading trucks etc. So think about it. Just like the demise of the horse buggy industry did not spell permanent doom for the economy, so a shift to renewables would not destroy the economy either. It would simply SHIFT. Further development would be required, work would be needed for maintenance, new schemes to utilize the existing infrastructure…. A whole new economic sector is in the process of developing!

Why are so many against it? Answer is easy: for the same reason that, 110 years ago, the horse and buggy industry was against the development of the motor vehicle industry.

As for the carbon industry: We would simply use less oil/gas/coal. It will not go away, for some of the reasons you cited. And the environment would be better for that reduction. Our health would be better for it.

But if you want to fear-monger, then go walk the streets of Miami Beach or NewportNews, or thousands of other shoreline population centers - and watch the homeowners tremble each time their streets flood on sunny days. Streets that did not flood 30 years ago. Look at the result of unlocking so much carbon from the ground, and injecting it into the oceano-atmosphere.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:37 am

A further thought: a junkie would consider heroin his “life blood”. Think about it