(Sunday PO) Though more competitive than any previous election cycle, the Rio Grande Valley's midterm races reelected ma

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

(Sunday PO) Though more competitive than any previous election cycle, the Rio Grande Valley's midterm races reelected ma

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:48 am

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/25/11392054 ... death-note
Officials in Chesapeake, Va., confirmed in a statement that the Walmart supervisor who fatally shot six coworkers inside the store on Tuesday left a note in his phone in which he described being harassed.

"Sorry everyone but I did not plan this I promise things just fell in place like I was led by the Satan," Andre Bing wrote in a letter titled "death note" that was stored on his phone.

"My only wish would have been to start over from scratch and that my parents would have paid closer attention to my social deficits."

Police also confirmed on Friday that Bing used a 9mm handgun, which was legally purchased the morning of the shooting. A box of ammunition and a receipt for the gun were discovered during a police search of his home.
Here's what we know about the victims from the Virginia Walmart shooting
National
Here's what we know about the victims from the Virginia Walmart shooting

The note, which authorities redacted in a several places to protect the names of specific people, described how Bing "lost his dignity" when he believed his phone was hacked.

"I was harassed by idiots with low intelligence and a lack of wisdom," he wrote. "The associates gave me evil twisted grins, mocked me and celebrated my down fall the last day."

This photo provided by Virginia DMV shows Andre Bing.
AP

Bing was found dead inside the breakroom from what police say was a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police say he had no criminal history and was dressed in civilian clothing, without body armor.
Sponsor Message

In a statement, Walmart said Bing had been employed with the company since 2010. His position at the time of the shooting was "overnight team lead."

Tuesday night's violence was the nation's second high-profile mass shooting in four days and the second high-profile supermarket shooting this year.
Army veteran who stopped Club Q shooter wanted to protect everyone inside like family
National
Army veteran who stopped Club Q shooter wanted to protect everyone inside like family

Police have identified the victims as Brian Pendleton, 38; Kellie Pyle, 52; Lorenzo Gamble, 43; Randy Blevins, 70; and Fernando Chavez-Barron, 16, who were all from Chesapeake. Tyneka Johnson, 22, of nearby Portsmouth, was also among the dead.

A Walmart spokesperson confirmed in an email that all of the victims worked for the company.

Another four people were hospitalized in the shooting, which happened just after 10 p.m. ET.. Police say there were about 50 people in the store at the time. Many were stocking up ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Tarmaque

Re: (Sunday PO) Though more competitive than any previous election cycle, the Rio Grande Valley's midterm races reelecte

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:27 pm

A sad case, in all sorts of ways. This guy was clearly seeing things that weren't there, or was really bad at interpreting things that were there. He was paranoid, but probably not schizophrenic. I don't think he heard voices, but he didn't understand non-verbal communication. I'd say that put him on the Autism Spectrum, but undiagnosed. His paranoia probably developed as a coping mechanism for not understanding social norms and non-verbal clues. This is typical of some high or medium functioning people on the Autism Spectrum.

I would suggest that his condition lead to or was accompanied by some measure of sociopathy. He didn't know how to empathize with other people, and didn't know how to communicate his own desires and wants with other people.

But these are guesses by an amateur who never met him, and now we'll never know.