Turtle Tales on the Thursday Political Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Turtle Tales on the Thursday Political Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:09 am

Happy Thursday! Make the most of it!
McConnell.jpg

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: Turtle Tales on the Thursday Political Open Thread

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 pm

Interestingly enough most of those animals are tortoises. I only see three turtles. Just sayin' LOL

I used to breed sliders. But turtles are a lot of work to keep. I have considered getting a sulcata (African spur back) tortoise but they are diggers so I always talk my self out of it.

If I get another reptile I think it'll be a Jackson's chameleon.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Turtles get hit on the highways and roads down here. I keep a bucket in the back of the truck for ranch purposes.
When I see a turtle on the road, I stop, pick it up before it gets run over, bucket it and drop it off at the ranch where it will be safe and meet other turtles.
I'm guessing most are likely Texas Land Tortoises. On rare occasions, I see a red eared slider attempting to cross the road. I pick them up and deposit them near one of my ponds. They sense the water and head that way as soon as I let them out.
I always wash my hands thoroughly afterwards if I don't have gloves to pick them up.
Every once in awhile, I see one around the ranch, maybe a rescue, maybe a native.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm

Given the nature of many Texans, as well as humans in general, it would not surprise me a bit if those turtles/tortoises are being hit deliberately.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:53 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm
When I see a turtle on the road, I stop, pick it up before it gets run over, bucket it and drop it off at the ranch where it will be safe and meet other turtles.
They actually aren't social animals. People often think they are because they will congregate in the best basking sites and even climb on each other to get closer to the sun, but other then breeding seasons they are fairly indifferent to each other.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:08 pm

I've been watching Peterson's lecture series about the physiology of the bible. It's pretty interesting to me because he looks at the stories in much the same way I do, but he removes all metaphysical, and looks at them as works of human wisdom. I would suggest the entier thing, much more interesting then his political stuff. Anyway this is the QA someone asked him about being extremely intellectual. I found Peterson's answer to be an important and interesting warning, so here it is.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 pm

I LOVE this: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/vo ... story.html
I just don’t get why he’s in the hospital. Shouldn’t he be in his local house of prayer?

As for Jordan Peterson, he’s a hero among the MGTOW ‘red pill’ crowd (which unsurprisingly is rightwing) as well as among rightwingers in general. I try to avoid his stuff, because the moment you click on it all the rest of his stuff floods your YouTube feed. Which is unfortunate, because he does have a few interesting things to say.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Given the nature of many Texans, as well as humans in general, it would not surprise me a bit if those turtles/tortoises are being hit deliberately.
I'm not one to hit them deliberately.
I know you are not accusing me, but it wouldn't surprise me if some do.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:27 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 pm
Interestingly enough most of those animals are tortoises. I only see three turtles. Just sayin' LOL

I used to breed sliders. But turtles are a lot of work to keep. I have considered getting a sulcata (African spur back) tortoise but they are diggers so I always talk my self out of it.

If I get another reptile I think it'll be a Jackson's chameleon.
Yeah, I wouldn't have specifically known that, but, I thought some had faces more like tortoises...but, I thought it was amusing...lol
My friends Dan and Jay used to have a bunch of turtles

Randi

Post by Randi » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm
Turtles get hit on the highways and roads down here. I keep a bucket in the back of the truck for ranch purposes.
I'm guessing most are likely Texas Land Tortoises. On rare occasions, I see a red eared slider attempting to cross the road. I pick them up and deposit them near one of my ponds. They sense the water and head that way as soon as I let them out.
I always wash my hands thoroughly afterwards if I don't have gloves to pick them up.
Every once in awhile, I see one around the ranch, maybe a rescue, maybe a native.
Thank you for your kindness towards turtles. That’s a sweet thing to do

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:27 am
Yeah, I wouldn't have specifically known that, but, I thought some had faces more like tortoises...but, I thought it was amusing...lol
It's hilarious. But I'm a geek and I can't control myself