Myopic Manners on the Monday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Myopic Manners on the Monday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:10 am

20190311_myopic.jpg
214180_460s.jpg
214180_460s.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
frodos-view-of.jpg
frodos-view-of.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Do people who have myopic visions drive you crazy as they do me? Small picture thinking, refusal to see consequences for their actions in the future, short term gain for long term loss? Often pedantic, literal where it makes no sense. Nuance deficient.Looking to the past to handle the future? Do you know anyone like this personally? I have a sibling who is. there is now talking to him, and in his mid 40's, he is aimless, often homeless, and angry. And yet refuses to consider long term plans to fix his situation.

Tarmaque

Re: Myopic Manners on the Monday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:33 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:10 am
Do people who have myopic visions drive you crazy as they do me? Small picture thinking, refusal to see consequences for their actions in the future, short term gain for long term loss?
If they did I'd be committed to a rubber room for the rest of my life, or medicated into chemical senility.

Randi

Post by Randi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:04 am

Short sighted? Don’t even get me started on that rant or I will be here all day. Lol

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm

Those people exist… but since I cannot change them, I have to either accept them as they are or exile them from my life.

The other thing is that you have to hold firm to your agreements. My wife can be a little shortsighted sometimes. And there were moments when this threatened the whole enchilada. In those moments I held firm to stuff we had agreed to. Ordinarily it’s “happy wife, happy life” and so I don’t care about the small stuff. But on the big stuff? You have to hold the line.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm
Those people exist… but since I cannot change them, I have to either accept them as they are or exile them from my life.

The other thing is that you have to hold firm to your agreements. My wife can be a little shortsighted sometimes. And there were moments when this threatened the whole enchilada. In those moments I held firm to stuff we had agreed to. Ordinarily it’s “happy wife, happy life” and so I don’t care about the small stuff. But on the big stuff? You have to hold the line.
Yeah, but, it is often likely that two people don't agree on the "big" or "little" stuff...my ex dismissed most of my concerns are irrelevant, but, they were to me...and we didn't have any agreement, unfortunately, wish we had, what happened was a bunch of unspoken expectations that were assumed and never discussed. I have always said if I got married again, which is highly unlikely for several reasons, expectations would be discussed in detail before.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:05 pm
Mike wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm

Yeah, but, it is often likely that two people don't agree on the "big" or "little" stuff...my ex dismissed most of my concerns are irrelevant, but, they were to me...and we didn't have any agreement, unfortunately, wish we had, what happened was a bunch of unspoken expectations that were assumed and never discussed. I have always said if I got married again, which is highly unlikely for several reasons, expectations would be discussed in detail before.
Someone has to be the adult in the room. I chose to be that when it came time. We discussed all the ‘majors’ prior to marriage. The big one of course is the house. We agreed that we’d take a 30 year mortgage, pay it in 15 or less if at all possible, and ALL repairs and/or upgrades (as well as vehicle purchases) would be paid in cash (or on zero interest financing). And there were her often relentless moments of “BUT I WANT IT!!!!” where it tested the marriage to hold the agreement. I held to the agreement that WE made. We paid the mortgage off in 13 years, and she eventually got all the stuff she wanted. The new living room. Dining room. Kitchen. Tile floor, twice. Bedroom. Exercise room. Two new BMWs. Plenty of overseas travel, fine dining. Etc. Had we not stuck to the original plan, she’d have gotten all her things sooner, yes…but we’d have been paying boatloads of interest, and would likely still be paying off the house right now. Instead I could retire right now if I wanted to. (I don’t want to retire, I enjoy what I do.)