Tackling Topic Tedium on the Thursday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Tackling Topic Tedium on the Thursday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 am

brace-yourselves-table-topics-are-coming.jpg
trying-to-have-a-constructive-discussion-to-improve-the-game-aaaand-were-off-topic-after-the-3rd-pos.jpg
trying-to-have-a-constructive-discussion-to-improve-the-game-aaaand-were-off-topic-after-the-3rd-pos.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
welcome-to-sploder-forums-where-claims-are-made-up-and-thread-topics-dont-matter.jpg
welcome-to-sploder-forums-where-claims-are-made-up-and-thread-topics-dont-matter.jpg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
I spent like an hour trying to find something today we haven't already done and gave up and went with this...lol...I personally don't care about going off-topic on NO PO's especially. I just thought these were cute memes. the purpose of a topic is just to start a conversation, which can go anywhere the community wants to go. But, coming up with new and original topics is hard. So, today, go wherever you want...lol

Z is for Zangie

Re: Tackling Topic Tedium on the Thursday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:20 am

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Norm MacDonald, I wasn't till I read about his death, I spent quite a bit of time going down the rabbit hole of his work to get acquainted...I was impressed, and cried through the tributes, I didn't see a single example that wasn't hilarious and fun ...he really was an awesome comedian. This one seems to be the most often picked as his best piece...made me laugh ( his delivery and how he sets joke up is just mind-blowing, simple things you might not find funny from anyone else.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:58 am

Ok. How about things I never thought about doing 😆 like ..
Hanging from a building..
th.jpeg
th.jpeg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
~
OR playing with big spiders..
m3OSfYy3nmm7m.gif
m3OSfYy3nmm7m.gif (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2068 times

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:32 pm

@Slip Shod
Spidergirl.gif
Spidergirl.gif (439.89 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:32 pm
@Slip Shod

Spidergirl.gif

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.
:D yep, the spider coming out of the mouth thing. And also eating them which I understand is done in some parts of the world. I remember reading somewhere after laying a big spider on the hot coals and cooking it a couple minutes it tasted like strawberries, but I wouldn't know

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 pm

I ate the candied roadside tarantula in Cambodia. A bit of advice: do NOT eat the candied roadside tarantula in Cambodia. I lost 12 pounds in two days because of that… and it was not even tasty, so it was of no value whatsoever aside from producing this warning.

Sorry about McDonald. On a semi-related (stand up comics) note, last night I saw a few minutes of a movie called Spanglish. It looks like it should have been a decent movie… except the featured player is Adam Sandler. Now don’t get me wrong. I like him as a stand-up! But as an actor, he has no range of expression. His face and voice only ever convey one thing: GIVE ME APPROVAL! They don’t convey joy, they don’t convey anger, they don’t convey solidity…. the face and voice and body posture just relentlessly implore that one thing. LIKE ME PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Slip Shod

Re: Tackling Topic TDredium on the Thursday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 pm
I ate the candied roadside tarantula in Cambodia. A bit of advice: do NOT eat the candied roadside tarantula in Cambodia. I lost 12 pounds in two days because of that… and it was not even tasty, so it was of no value whatsoever aside from producing this warning.

Sorry about McDonald.
✔. There was an American pilot shot down and the Serbians we're looking for him. All he ate was grass for a week before he was finally rescued, picked up. He was hiding under a log with the Serbians just feet away and he had ants biting up on him - close call.
Aside from all the politics, our military people really put it all on the line. You have to respect their dedication. Sounds like you had an interesting experience

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 pm

I've been on forums where if you said hello to a regular you hadn't seen in a while people would start complaining. It's not really fun. Conversations naturally evolve, trying to control that in an informal setting has always struck me as strange.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 pm

Sorry about McDonald. On a semi-related (stand up comics) note, last night I saw a few minutes of a movie called Spanglish. It looks like it should have been a decent movie… except the featured player is Adam Sandler. Now don’t get me wrong. I like him as a stand-up! But as an actor, he has no range of expression. His face and voice only ever convey one thing: GIVE ME APPROVAL! They don’t convey joy, they don’t convey anger, they don’t convey solidity…. the face and voice and body posture just relentlessly implore that one thing. LIKE ME PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!
anything bought from a roadside, anywhere, has a high probability fo doing the same . . . .

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:58 am
Ok. How about things I never thought about doing 😆 like ..
Hanging from a building..
th.jpeg
~
OR playing with big spiders..
m3OSfYy3nmm7m.gif
:lol: :lol: :shock:

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:43 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 pm
I've been on forums where if you said hello to a regular you hadn't seen in a while people would start complaining. It's not really fun. Conversations naturally evolve, trying to control that in an informal setting has always struck me as strange.
Pendants and single focus people...they drive me nuts, it happens on The Dispatch all the time and I defy them...lol..( it's not like I don't talk about the topic also...it is community building to talk about other things, especially with politics, especially things we have in common, and good for civility.

One of the things I really miss about Disqus is the real-time riffing etc...