Thought Tsunami's on the Thursday Political Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Thought Tsunami's on the Thursday Political Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:16 am

Good Morning! Yes, I cheated with Tsunami...lol...I was desperate today. Have a thoughtful Thursday!
sbr091521dAPR.jpg

Mike

Re: Thought Tsunami's on the Thursday Political Open Thread

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:39 pm

Newsom won the 2018 election with 61% of the vote.

There are those who contend that the failed recall was very much a bipartisan effort, that so many folks across the political spectrum in California were so fed up that this was something other than an astroturfed GQP effort to weaken Biden. That it was a legitimate attempt to reject an unpopular governor.

As of this moment, Newsom’s totals show him surviving this ‘bipartisan’ recall. Barely retaining his job, dontcha know! WITH SIXTY FOUR PERCENT OF THE VOTE IN HIS FAVOR.

The dull, feeble attempts to legitimize this recall have been comical. :o :lol: :lol:

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:39 pm
There are those who contend that the failed recall was very much a bipartisan effort, that so many folks across the political spectrum in California were so fed up that this was something other than an astroturfed GQP effort to weaken Biden. That it was a legitimate attempt to reject an unpopular governor.
Not what I said. What I said was it was the people of California who signed the petition for the recall. There literally aren't enough registered Republicans in this state to set up a partisan recall. I said nothing of Newsome's over all popularity only that his own action irritated enough people to initiate the process.
Mike wrote:
The dull, feeble attempts to legitimize this recall have been comical.
What is comical are your dull, feeble attempts to paraphrase anyone you disagree with. Almost without fail you create a strawman, knock it down and then take your victory lap. Simi decent conversations with you were good while they lasted. back to ignore the child.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:34 pm

I'm about 99% sure that Nicki Minaj and Tucker Carolson agreeing is the 7th sign of the apocalypse. It was fun while it lasted humanity!

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm
Mike wrote:
Not what I said. What I said was it was the people of California who signed the petition for the recall. There literally aren't enough registered Republicans in this state to set up a partisan recall. I said nothing of Newsome's over all popularity only that his own action irritated enough people to initiate the process.
Mike wrote:
The dull, feeble attempts to legitimize this recall have been comical.
What is comical are your dull, feeble attempts to paraphrase anyone you disagree with. Almost without fail you create a strawman, knock it down and then take your victory lap. Simi decent conversations with you were good while they lasted. back to ignore the child.
You said, quoted verbatim:
“And those who signed the petition that are registered as democrat? I know, I know, keep reality out of your rhetoric.”
“The only petition that matters is the one that was completed. And yes registered Democrats signed it.”
“Yes that is exactly what it means. It was the work of the people of California from both parties. Without signatures from democrats we wouldn't have enough signatures to have an election. The fact that members of his own party were willing to sign shows it's not simple partisan game play.”
And finally:
“I didn't support the Grey Davis recall. Voted to keep him in place. In that election the California Republican party did essentially create an false issue to run Davis out. That isn't the case with Newsom.”

And btw, there literally are enough registered Republicans in California to set up a partisan recall. Fewer than 1.5 million signatures were required; there are 22 million registered voters in the state, 24.2% of whom are registered as Republicans. By my math, that comes out somewhere above the signature threshold. But please, check my math on this. Is 24 percent of 22 million more than 1.5 million?

(In case you’re wondering, it’s more than 4.7 million - easily enough to generate a partisan recall vote.)

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:27 pm

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:34 pm
I'm about 99% sure that Nicki Minaj and Tucker Carolson agreeing is the 7th sign of the apocalypse. It was fun while it lasted humanity!
Why would anybody pay any attention whatsoever to what Nicki Minaj has to say? What part about being a musician and personality who is famous for being famous gives her the right to have any sort of influence on what people think?

Carlson on the other hand has the opposite attributes. Which is to say, he has proved himself time and time again not to even be right about anything. Even by random chance. He's just wrong on purpose. Nikki thinks she is right because she's read shit on the internet. At least that's something.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:27 pm
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:34 pm
Why would anybody pay any attention whatsoever to what Nicki Minaj has to say? What part about being a musician and personality who is famous for being famous gives her the right to have any sort of influence on what people think?

Carlson on the other hand has the opposite attributes. Which is to say, he has proved himself time and time again not to even be right about anything. Even by random chance. He's just wrong on purpose. Nikki thinks she is right because she's read shit on the internet. At least that's something.
It goes waaay beyond that. Carlson admits that he lies when he’s cornered. Since he corners himself routinely and others corner him routinely, it can be presumed that he spends the vast majority of his public life deliberately lying;

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5722 ... -something

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:27 pm
She's also famous for being outrageous. I guess her and tucker have a lot in common after all.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:26 pm

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 pm
She's also famous for being outrageous. I guess her and tucker have a lot in common after all.
Her "outrageous" behavior seems old and stale to me. It's nothing different from what Madonna was doing 35 years ago, or what Lady Gaga was doing ten years ago. Give it a new paint job, file the serial numbers off, and market it to a different demographic.

Then again, Tucker is doing what Rush Limbaugh was doing 35 years ago, and what Glenn Beck was doing 15 years ago. And a bunch of others are doing better than he is.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 am

Citing “toxic dynamics inside our own party” as part of his decision process, Rep.Anthony Gonzalez (R) of Ohio has decided to not serve past the end of the current term. He will not seek re-election. Gonzalez was one of the very few Republicans who voted to impeach trump for the events of January 6.

Of course he would have been primaried. But one wonders just what level of toxicity caused him to not even try for it, to walk away at this time.

Here is part of the aforementioned dynamics: a CNN poll finds that 59% of Republican respondents say that “believing that trump won the election” is important to what being a Republican means to them.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:38 am

Mike wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 am
Citing “toxic dynamics inside our own party” as part of his decision process, Rep.Anthony Gonzalez (R) of Ohio has decided to not serve past the end of the current term. He will not seek re-election. Gonzalez was one of the very few Republicans who voted to impeach trump for the events of January 6.

Of course he would have been primaried. But one wonders just what level of toxicity caused him to not even try for it, to walk away at this time.

Here is part of the aforementioned dynamics: a CNN poll finds that 59% of Republican respondents say that “believing that trump won the election” is important to what being a Republican means to them.
In an interview with I read, ( NYT"s I believe) he said the inner workings of the current Republican Party are bad and he thinks it is unhealthy to hang out around it, but, he also said when he had to hire security to cover his wife and children and the threats they got was a big reason....quality of family life and what is better for them...he also said that driving between two cities was getting old ...I have Jim Jordan unfortunately, and Gonzalez was next door and their were rumors Jordan would lose his district in the redistricting, and I was hoping Gonzalez would inherit...sigh

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:26 pm
Her "outrageous" behavior seems old and stale to me. It's nothing different from what Madonna was doing 35 years ago, or what Lady Gaga was doing ten years ago.
Outrageous behavior in general is old and stale. But it's effective.