Seasonal Sickness and Spread on the Sunday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Seasonal Sickness and Spread on the Sunday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:14 am

15-dont-know-who-got-me-sick-but-i-will-find-you-and-i-will-kill-you-meme-600x582.jpg
15-dont-know-who-got-me-sick-but-i-will-find-you-and-i-will-kill-you-meme-600x582.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
flu-season-kermit-meme.jpg
67c307088885a5a467aaeb196a34add6.jpg
depositphotos_21143239-stock-photo-seasons.jpg
depositphotos_21143239-stock-photo-seasons.jpg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Aside from Covid ( PO!) people who come to work sick and spread it are a personal annoyance of mine, I know spring and summer are bad for ( respiratory) allergies, but, I don't have those and you don't "catch" them from other people. The fall and winter are dangerous for me because even a cold or flu can kick in my bronchitis and make me very ill and it will linger. Sometimes for a couple of months. I would like to see people not come in if they are that sick or would consider wearing a mask to protect myself. that said, last year I never got a cold or the flu , but they may be because I didn't leave the house much. And was careful when I did. I am going to get my flu shot next week, and as far as I know, it did work the last two years, and on top of that, I didn't get a case of bronchitis. I also think the pneumonia shot is due, I think they said three years, but, that one is $100...and if I don't get a job soon, I am in so much trouble on many fronts.

Tarmaque

Re: Seasonal Sickness and Spread on the Sunday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:49 am

I remember eight years or so ago coming in to work feeling like death, but also feeling like I needed to come in to work because we were busy. My boss back then was a huge germophobe. He took one look at me, backed up a couple paces and said: "Go home! And take your plague with you!" holding his hand over his face.

This was a Monday. I didn't come back to work for almost 9 days. That was a miserable cold, but it was just a cold. Not influenza. It killed my vacation and all my sick days for that year. I did go to the doctor about it. I'm not one of "those" men who won't go to the doctor. She didn't do anything for me though other than prescribing me a decongestant and telling me to come back if I got worse. I spent a lot of the following week in bed.

My boss never did get sick, and neither did anyone else in that shop. Thankfully I was enough ahead of the other guys that it didn't put a huge bottleneck in our production. They hadn't used up all the parts I had stockpiled, but it was a near thing. Took me a month to build my stockpiles back up.

Randi

Post by Randi » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:33 am

I’m a horrible person. I go to work sick and I stay there it just seems like if I ever got really sick I was in my probationary period and I couldn’t miss work. Or it was a job that didn’t have sick pay and I couldn’t afford to miss work
I had just started my one of my better jobs when I got some horrible respiratory “ thing”. I did go to the doctor, but he didn’t test me for flu. He did tell me, my lungs sounded like crap. He gave me an antibiotic, steroids, and three inhalers, albuteril, advair and spiriva I remember loading my van before a run sitting in the cargo area covered with a cold sweat.
Thankfully, I didn’t give it to anyone else. But my contact with the other drivers was limited.
To this day I don’t know what I had. And the doctor was more concerned with treating it rather than naming it. I heard of a nurse in my area that had something similar She died. I’ve always felt fortunate to have survived that. Maybe it’s because I didn’t have the option of a day off
I did miss a day when I had what i believe to be Covid I couldn’t stay awake long enough to put on my shoes I didn’t want to drive that tired. And since I caught it there, and everyone was already sick. I went back the day after

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:50 pm

d5wrxx9avir41.jpg
I find I'm washing my hands at least 10 times a day

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Randi wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:33 am
I’m a horrible person. I go to work sick and I stay there it just seems like if I ever got really sick I was in my probationary period and I couldn’t miss work. Or it was a job that didn’t have sick pay and I couldn’t afford to miss work
I had just started my one of my better jobs when I got some horrible respiratory “ thing”. I did go to the doctor, but he didn’t test me for flu. He did tell me, my lungs sounded like crap. He gave me an antibiotic, steroids, and three inhalers, albuteril, advair and spiriva I remember loading my van before a run sitting in the cargo area covered with a cold sweat.
Thankfully, I didn’t give it to anyone else. But my contact with the other drivers was limited.
To this day I don’t know what I had. And the doctor was more concerned with treating it rather than naming it. I heard of a nurse in my area that had something similar She died. I’ve always felt fortunate to have survived that. Maybe it’s because I didn’t have the option of a day off
I did miss a day when I had what i believe to be Covid I couldn’t stay awake long enough to put on my shoes I didn’t want to drive that tired. And since I caught it there, and everyone was already sick. I went back the day after
I do not think you are a horrible person, and I get all the reasons...however, where I worked everyone had sick pay and they didn't have to come in, ( at atty's can take any day off they want for any reason)...most of the office wanted them to take the day(s) off..nothing was that important that couldn't be done later

Randi

Post by Randi » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:52 pm
( at atty's can take any day off they want for any reason)...

Damn., I should have gone to law school
I know attorneys put in crazy long hours though

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 am

Randi wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:52 pm
( at atty's can take any day off they want for any reason)...

Damn., I should have gone to law school
I know attorneys put in crazy long hours though
They do at times...nights and week ends to see clients quite a bit....( till they get older and more established, they don't do it as much...)..they are not treated as employees actually, more like independent contractors who do as they please and as long as they aren't doing anything unethical and they bring in revenue, they aren't monitored or given rules like the actual staff...( this depends on the type of atty offices, but, most small business ones operate this way)...it's all about the Benjamins....lol