Troll farms reached 140 million Americans a month on Facebook before 2020 election, internal report shows

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: Troll farms reached 140 million Americans a month on Facebook before 2020 election, internal report shows

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:49 pm
No…. The responsibility is ours
Do you even read what I write at all?
GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:27 pm
hen go on to say, "Our own self-centered ignorance creates the perfect boogie man. I'm not sure there is anyway out if this now." again pointing the finger at our society.
Here is why it is impossible to have a conversation with you. You make an assumption about what I'm "Implying" that isn't in what I wrote. When I correct your mistake you argue with me about the meanings of my words. And the conversation ends there, all because you can't even consider the fact that maybe you made a mistake.

Mike

Re: Troll farms reached 140 million Americans a month on Facebook before 2020 election, internal report shows

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 pm

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm
Mike wrote:
No…. The responsibility is ours
Do you even read what I write at all?
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:27 pm
hen go on to say, "Our own self-centered ignorance creates the perfect boogie man. I'm not sure there is anyway out if this now." again pointing the finger at our society.
I read exactly what you said. Pointing the finger is a vastly different thing than stepping up and taking responsibility. Especially when you add in “I’m not sure there is any way out of this now”. That’s the same place so many of the anti-woke, anti-enviro crowd have arrived: you lefties were correct, global warming Is a thing - but it’s too late for us to do anything about it now. Slavery followed by systemic racism? Yeah that’s a thing, but we can’t do anything about it now.

One team acknowledges the issues, and even if it can’t fix them at least acknowledges them and attempts to begin the process of addressing those issues. The other team? It ignores, it deflects, it pretends, it claims those calling attention to the problem are making the problem worse by so doing, it bears false witness, etc. It even erects barriers to addressing the problems (such as DeSantis preventing municipalities from implementing mask mandates).

We are going to keep working to end systemic racism.
We are going to keep working to reduce carbon emissions.
We are going to keep working to get health coverage to more people.
We are going to keep working to get folks vaccinated, to allow mask mandates by conscientious people and organizations.
We are going to keep working to expand equal rights to all.
We are going to keep working to overcome obstacles to voting rights.

You? You can wait for the next recall of Newsom, and keep pretending the recall effort is something other than yet another GQP attempt to overthrow this democracy.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 pm
I read exactly what you said. Pointing the finger is a vastly different thing than stepping up and taking responsibility.
ROFLMAO. You are incapable of saying, "I misunderstood" When you have no other way out you just shift to another attack. Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:32 pm

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:24 pm
Mike wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 pm
I read exactly what you said. Pointing the finger is a vastly different thing than stepping up and taking responsibility.
ROFLMAO. You are incapable of saying, "I misunderstood" When you have no other way out you just shift to another attack. Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.
Having watched your posting style for years, I understood your intent. I keep using your own words in my replies to you, yet you keep insisting you meant something other than your own words.

You’re a strange duck. When I use your own words, you say I misunderstood you. When I paraphrase, you accuse me of creating strawmen. No Guide, I’m right back with you where we’ve always been. I’m not the one shifting here. Your original swipe at me was to say “He brought up something that had absolutely nothing to do with what I said at all. That's a Strawman Argument.” When I refuted that by pointing out that I was specifically going at your ‘caricature’ statement and it’s implications relative to that article, YOU shifted to another attack: “ No I can't accept when you read your own bias into what I saw and challenge that.” then when I reiterated that I was addressing your ‘caricature’ statement, you shifted yet again: “ What I said was Troll Farms amplify the voice of the extreme.”

Then knowing that won’t fly, you shift yet again - but this time to complete adhominem: “ you are just being an asshole. That is part of what I take issue with. The rest is your rude, combative and condescending approach to the conversation.”

Then when I AGAIN come back to the caricature thing, you yet again go adhominem: “For some reason you refuse to deal with any responsible position you disagree with. Instead you regress it to some adsorb straw man.”

No Guide, I am not the one relentlessly shifting. Nor am I being rude. Funny to watch you do those things, then project them onto me.

No, you don’t get to pretend that those despicable caricatures emerged from crafty “Eastern European” mills and were foisted on us unwitting innocents. They did not. They live and breathe, right here.
11F21E4C-87B0-4B1E-B0E6-579312FD93C7.jpeg

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Mike wrote:
“I’m not sure there is any way out of this now”, combined with “amplifying the most extreme among us”, absolves us of responsibility. Doesn
No it does not.

"I'm not sure there is any way out of this now" - denotes my ignorance as to how to fix the situation.

“amplifying the most extreme among us” - Describes exactly what these troll farms set out to do and are doing. Again Amplify would imply the source of the issue is something else.

The idea that either of those would absolve us of responsibility is something you assumed and ran with. I have no repeated told you that that isn't what I said. The only thing I said that assigned blame was, "Our own self-centered ignorance creates the perfect boogie man." Which points the blame directly at us. So you are literally ignoring what I wrote and substituting something I didn't say.

Imply is an intention. I did not intend to imply anything. When you read and implication that someone else didn't intend this is called an assumption. Your assumptions about what I "implied" are directly contradict by what I actually wrote. We can argue this all day but your assumption will still be wrong.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:09 pm

Was trump believing ‘amplified’ things about “the other” because of Facebook troll farms?

Is that why, in 2020, he blamed Obama for issues with covid testing?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:17 pm

Mike wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:09 pm
Was trump believing ‘amplified’ things about “the other” because of Facebook troll farms?
No one can say for sure where Trump gets his misinformation, but troll farms intentionally spreading such information most likely plays a roll in some of his beliefs. It might be a source or two removed at times but the issue is a real one.

Weren't you all over "Russian interference" in the 2016 election? How can you be so focused on that but dismiss their involvement in the 2020 election and beyond?