Frequent Follies on the Friday Political Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Frequent Follies on the Friday Political Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:40 am

Good Morning! Have a folly Free Friday!
wpnan210908.gif

Mike

Re: Frequent Follies on the Friday Political Open Thread

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:36 am

And the results of the Arizona ballot are in! Big news! Life-changing news! Gonna remake the whole nation in the image of….

Oh wait, the audit shows Biden won. ROFL So the audit is a failure.

But of course the ‘audit’ was not about who won. It was about shredding confidence in the election process, about instilling fear, about de-legitimizing all governance that is not GQP. About paving a path out of democracy and to fascism. In that endeavor, the ‘audit’ has been a rousing success. As California showed just weeks go with the recall, virtually all conservo-GOP candidates will now preface every election cycle with “if we lose, it’s because the election was rigged” and their party constituents will believe it.

Randi

Post by Randi » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:31 am

Mike wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:36 am
In that endeavor, the ‘audit’ has been a rousing success. As California showed just weeks go with the recall, virtually all conservo-GOP candidates will now preface every election cycle with “if we lose, it’s because the election was rigged” and their party constituents will believe it.

I LMAO when I read the results this morning

I love it. Especially since they are trying the same stunt in PA
The Republicans know that the electorate has no real idea how the actual process of voting works They don’t realize how secure the process is designed to be
I worked at my local polling place ten years or so, I know what safeguards are in place and that in person voter fraud is rare We did however, have a really difficult time recruiting volunteers. No one wanted to work for 12 plus hours and get a check for 70 bucks
The whole situation highlights how the education system has failed so many To paraphrase George Carlin, they want you smart enough to pull the levers and push buttons, but not much else

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:47 pm

And now one for the gun nuts. The mass shooting in the Tennessee grocery store yesterday that miraculously only killed one person (so far) and left 13 maimed… the immediate reaction from the NRA-Right to these reports has been a series of references to Chicago. As if somehow, the reality of gun violence in Chicago means that gun violence elsewhere is acceptable, that the media should ignore all other shooting events… or something.

Of course the Chicago reference is obvious dog-whistle: it’s Obama = blacks = violence = don’t take our guns! But at least the Right no longer tries for the pious “it’s too early to mention policy, let the family grieve” nonsense.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:30 pm

I would post this in the Zoo, but it has a chance of turning political so I'm going to dump it here. @Z is for Zangie if you think I should move it let me know.

I watched the new Wonder Years last night. At first I wasn't going to. In a general sense I'm not a fan of reboots that try to make a point by changing things like gender and race, but when I saw this show involves both Don Cheadle and Dule Hill I had to give it a shot.

The first episode was interesting. Its clear that the stigma of being black in America in the 60's is going to loom heavily over the show. That might be okay as long as it's matched with moments of levity and the characters personalities are more complex then becoming boring stereotypes. I haven't watched the original in years and I was at a very different place in my life so any comparison might be my faulty memory, but the new version seems to be more of a melodrama. That can be hard to sustain over the long term. Over all the pilot was good enough to get me to keep going, I'm not sure if it's going to hook me over multiple seasons yet.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:13 am

I’m gonna make your prediction come true. The next actor to play James Bond will likely be dark skinned. Which gets under the skin of noted conservative activist and comedian Steven Crowder (host of Louder With Crowder). Apparently, he and like-minded people cannot accept a black Bond. I’ll leave it to you to go research his reaction to the possibility.

But here’s the thing: it is highly likely that there have been dark-skinned spies in the employ of Her Majesty’s Secret Service across the centuries. After all, the Crown ruled over millions and millions of conquered indigenous peoples over the ages. What’s more preposterous? A white Bond infiltrating black gangs in New Orleans (think lily-white Roger Moore), or a black agent helping keep restless native subjects off-glance and in check?

So then. Why was it so easily predictable that conservatives would shriek about the supposed impossibly of a black Bond?

This looks like an easy segue to your other topic lol