Stars in the Sky on the Sunday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Stars in the Sky on the Sunday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:45 am

theautumnsky_700.JPG
zodiac-constellations-zodiacal-calendar-dates-260nw-1572956179.jpg
zodiac-constellations-zodiacal-calendar-dates-260nw-1572956179.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
circumpolar-constellations_04March2019-full.png
New-constellations-main.jpg
dippers.jpg
dippers.jpg (9.98 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Are you a star gazer? I am. I can normally find the North Star and the Dippers, but, need a chart/map to find the others, and don't do it enough to have them memorized. I love looking at a starry night, either way. Just so awe-inspiring and beautiful. I am lucky I live where there is very little artificial light and lots of clear night. I often think I should have gotten a telescope and learned how to use one properly so, I could see the stuff you can't see with the naked eye. I find everything in space fascinating.

Mike

Re: Stars in the Sky on the Sunday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Mike » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 am

Right now, in the southern sky is Orion. And to its lower left, the enormous Sirius. The ‘sword’ you see dangling from the ‘belt’ of Orion contains the famous Orion Nebula, one of the brightest visible to the naked eye.

When the sun went down last night, the dazzling bright object following it was Venus. In the western sky at that same moment, the very bright object was Jupiter…. and about twelve degrees west of that was Saturn. If your sky is relatively clear this evening, that same view will be available to you as the sun sets.

I have a 10” Dobsonian reflector for which I built an equatorial mount (from the wheel of a wheelchair). We also have a good observatory with a magnificent 6” refractor and some larger reflectors 150 miles away, and the staff have graciously allowed me to spend many nights there working with them.

Slip Shod

Re: Stars in the Sky on the Sunday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:16 pm

This stargazing and sky thing - since Mike has the most experience observing the stars, I was wondering if he or anyone else may have seen an unidentified sky object.
When I was 7 years old me and my uncle Bud saw in the sky what I thought was a UFO, but he couldn't accept that and told me it was a weather balloon. Bulls**t.
It was a sunny afternoon, clear blue sky and way up high there was a small bright orange ball stationary, nothing else in the sky and sitting there, we were looking at it for about 10 seconds . So we were looking at this thing and I asked what is that ? and he says it's a weather balloon. When he said that it took off with tremendous speed from where it was sitting motionless. I don't know how far because it was so high - it might have went half a mile and then did a 90° change of direction another half a mile, one more 90° degree turn for half a mile then gone, all so fast.
Not a balloon. Wondering if Mike or any of you ever saw something like that