Tattoo Takes on the Tuesday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Tattoo Takes on the Tuesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:01 am

b6f48091ae6578cd3c8e517d62c524e7--disney-tattoos-disney-wallpaper.jpg
b6f48091ae6578cd3c8e517d62c524e7--disney-tattoos-disney-wallpaper.jpg (18.36 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Merlintatoo.jpg
Merlintatoo.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
madamemim.jpg
madamemim.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
b71ca3fd483c5baa8abce9856a7efa20.jpg
3d247f8098c2dfd8e0014cacb9426560.jpg
3d247f8098c2dfd8e0014cacb9426560.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
minnie-mouse-tattoo-001.jpg
How do you feel about tattoos? Do you have any? When I was younger I wanted a Merlin ( from Disney) one, like the first one up there. When I went looking today for pix for this thread, I discovered they actually have a lot of them and that second one is way cooler...and has Archimedes also..and they have a Madame Mim! A Grumpy bear from care bears was also an option. Funshone bear would work, most of them would be ok. And since I have since become a Minnie fan, that is a cool one of her. As it turned out, I never committed and got around to it, and now I am too old. ( though I did use henna and other "fake" tattoos for quite a while). Still love them though and think they are cool.

Randi

Re: Tattoo Takes on the Tuesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Randi » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:26 pm

When I was younger tattoos weren’t a “ thing” yet. And finally in the 1980s rolled around a young lady tried to open a tattoo and piercing business in town. But the churches, led by one of the local pastors , shut her down I always thought that was ridiculous
I don’t have any tattoos. It’s mostly a cheap thing with me. I won’t spend money to have my hair done either.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:18 pm

I personally really hate tattoos. Not the really nice artistic ones, but the greater than 90% that are clearly just something someone picked off the wall. Or something stupid scribbled on their arm. The worst ones are things that people think have meaning. Like "it's my child's name!" So you thought you might forget?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Too old for a tattoo Z? If you get one when you're old that just means less times you'll have to have it touched up to keep it looking decent. That's something a lot of these kids these days don't understand. The longer you have a tattoo the more it will blur. It's a considerable commitment to having a tattoo that looks decent.

My friend John has a whole bunch on both arms and a dumb one on his chest. He has to go in every 2 to 4 years and have them touched up. It's almost like getting the tattoo over again. But if you don't do that they get all blurry and indistinct.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:27 pm

I had a serious needle phobia for years so I never really wanted one. I got over it giving my wife shots but still just never really thought about tatoos.

Runswift9

Post by Runswift9 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:07 pm

Off and on for years I've thought about getting one, but when I tried massage therapy I found out I hypersentise too easily...so I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate even a small tattoo

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:23 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm
Too old for a tattoo Z? If you get one when you're old that just means less times you'll have to have it touched up to keep it looking decent. That's something a lot of these kids these days don't understand. The longer you have a tattoo the more it will blur. It's a considerable commitment to having a tattoo that looks decent.

My friend John has a whole bunch on both arms and a dumb one on his chest. He has to go in every 2 to 4 years and have them touched up. It's almost like getting the tattoo over again. But if you don't do that they get all blurry and indistinct.
Yeah, that is why I am too old. (Rick has quite a few and has some touched up), figure my skin is already losing elasticity, and they would just look bad earlier...lol

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:25 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:27 pm
I had a serious needle phobia for years so I never really wanted one. I got over it giving my wife shots but still just never really thought about tattoos.
This is what amazed me about Rick... serious fear of needles, yet he somehow made it through several tattoos and has even had a few touched up...still doesn't like shots...lol
I never like needles, but I wasn't actually afraid, but, all the poking and the port and blood work I had to have during the cancer kinda numbed me, I didn't even feel the vaccine shots...( I also have faint veins and they always have to use really tiny needles for most things...lol)

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 pm

Tattoos : making a statement, projecting an image
Thought about it half a dozen times, but never pulled the trigger. I don't care about an image, I am who I am and if you want a statement just ask.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:23 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:18 pm
I personally really hate tattoos. Not the really nice artistic ones, but the greater than 90% that are clearly just something someone picked off the wall. Or something stupid scribbled on their arm. The worst ones are things that people think have meaning. Like "it's my child's name!" So you thought you might forget?
This. If you have to get your manifesto inscribed on your midriff in order to be aware of it, it’s not that big a thing in your life. And if so, why is it not in reverse - so you can read it to yourself while standing in a mirror?

The folks that crack me up though are the ones who angrily screech “WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT!?!??” when you look at their skin art. Obviously it’s there for eyes other than the owner’s, otherwise it would indeed be in reverse. So why get angry when others look at it?

Personally, I’m finding humans to be a damn freak show. Tattooed faces and bodies, piercings galore, dyed hair, bizarre hairdos, plastic surgery, ridiculous clothing, idiotic and repetitive conversation, moronic beliefs, the list goes on…. not that I’d change them in any way. They are entitled to be like that if it makes them happy. It just baffles me, and I prefer to keep them at a bit of a distance.