Free For All Friday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Free For All Friday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:52 am

I have had an extraordinarily long and crazy day, partly due to stuff to take care of before I start my new job. So, today is another freebie day. talk about whatever you want to.
oh-shit-its-free-for-all-friday.jpg
oh-shit-its-free-for-all-friday.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
you-know-like-a-cray-cray-free-for-all-memegen-com-cray-cray-52969724.png
you-know-like-a-cray-cray-free-for-all-memegen-com-cray-cray-52969724.png (232.01 KiB) Viewed 2080 times

Randi

Re: Free For All Friday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Randi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:49 am

On Fridays I take my friend for groceries.

I hope it isn’t too much of a free for all. The one Friday we were witness to gun sales in the parking lot. Which wouldn’t have been remarkable at all except the guy buying the gun said “ Thank you God, now I can finally kill him”. We called the police of course

It’s always an adventure around here

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:35 pm

Randi wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:49 am
I hope it isn’t too much of a free for all. The one Friday we were witness to gun sales in the parking lot. Which wouldn’t have been remarkable at all except the guy buying the gun said “ Thank you God, now I can finally kill him”. We called the police of course
Back in the early 1950's my Grandparents took my Dad down to Texas to visit relatives. He was six or seven years old at the time. My Uncle Charlie looked him up and down when he got there and asked him "Have you got a rifle yet?" My Dad shook his head, and Charlie said "Well I know someone who might have one for sale." The next day they drove out into the middle of nowhere to a guy's house to look at a little .22 rifle the guy had. He said "Yeah, I figure I'd sell that little rifle. I bought it to kill a guy, but they put me in jail for six months and by the time I got out I didn't want to kill him no more." He didn't explain why he went to jail for six months. Charlie gave him $7 and they came home with my Dad's first rifle. A little Winchester model 74 semi-auto in .22 long rifle.

I still have it, and the story that goes with it!

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:35 pm
Randi wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:49 am
Back in the early 1950's my Grandparents took my Dad down to Texas to visit relatives. He was six or seven years old at the time. My Uncle Charlie looked him up and down when he got there and asked him "Have you got a rifle yet?" My Dad shook his head, and Charlie said "Well I know someone who might have one for sale." The next day they drove out into the middle of nowhere to a guy's house to look at a little .22 rifle the guy had. He said "Yeah, I figure I'd sell that little rifle. I bought it to kill a guy, but they put me in jail for six months and by the time I got out I didn't want to kill him no more." He didn't explain why he went to jail for six months. Charlie gave him $7 and they came home with my Dad's first rifle. A little Winchester model 74 semi-auto in .22 long rifle.

I still have it, and the story that goes with it!
a .22 was once the gun of choice for murder and assassination. Lead bullets were almost impossible to trace as the disfigured. broke up and caused all kinds of internal damage. By doing so, they left little or no markings that could be traced to a specific gun.
I know of a shootout between a Texas DPS officer and a criminal he pulled over in a traffic stop. The DPS at that time was using 357 magnums. The criminal had a .22 revolver. The criminal shot the DPS officer once in the wrist. The DPS shot the criminal in the abdomen with 5 shots, and then he called for assistance and emergency medical care for both, explaining that he was just shot in the hand and the injuries to the other man.
By the time the back up and ambulance had arrived, the DPS officer had died, the bullet entering his arm at the wrist, traveling along the arm bones up to his armpit where it severed an artery and then lodged in his pec. He had bled to death internally.
The criminal was transported to the hospital, endured multiple surgeries, lived, was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison, where he died years later.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:45 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:39 pm
a .22 was once the gun of choice for murder and assassination. Lead bullets were almost impossible to trace as the disfigured. broke up and caused all kinds of internal damage. By doing so, they left little or no markings that could be traced to a specific gun.
I know of a shootout between a Texas DPS officer and a criminal he pulled over in a traffic stop. The DPS at that time was using 357 magnums. The criminal had a .22 revolver. The criminal shot the DPS officer once in the wrist. The DPS shot the criminal in the abdomen with 5 shots, and then he called for assistance and emergency medical care for both, explaining that he was just shot in the hand and the injuries to the other man.
By the time the back up and ambulance had arrived, the DPS officer had died, the bullet entering his arm at the wrist, traveling along the arm bones up to his armpit where it severed an artery and then lodged in his pec. He had bled to death internally.
The criminal was transported to the hospital, endured multiple surgeries, lived, was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison, where he died years later.
Anecdotal, but the facts do tend to support it. The last statistics I read (which I'll be honest were 20-odd years ago) were that more deaths in the United States were attributed to .22 long rifle bullets than any other single cartridge. Part of this is of course ubiquity, but another part of it is simply that .22s are often thought of as "toy" rounds and not deadly. Hence a lot of fatal accidental shootings are with .22 rimfire.

As an interesting aside, a submachinegun in .22 rimfire was once marketed in the United States to police forces: The American 180. It was an interesting concept of a full auto carbine with a drum magazine that fired at a very high rate. Few were sold, but they turned out to be remarkably effective. They had little recoil, but the amount of bullets flying downrange was impressive. Almost like a shotgun blast, but more accurate. I'd love to have one just for kicks, but with the price of rimfire these days I couldn't afford to shoot it. (And with the cost of the tax stamp and other fees for a full auto, it's a rich man's toy.)

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Though I have a couple of pistols, I'm not a gun nut . Here in Tennessee we're now a constitutional carry state which means I can legally carry concealed if I wish to, but being out in the rural I don't really see the need; having one in the car with me is enough just for that one in a million crazy chance there'd be the need.
I've been around enough to have known some crazy bads. I believe in walking away from a bad situation as the first thing to do - there are people out there that won't let you do that, some very bad people.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:25 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:01 pm
I've been around enough to have known some crazy bads. I believe in walking away from a bad situation as the first thing to do - there are people out there that won't let you do that, some very bad people.
I'm of the opinion that anyone who "feels the need to concealed carry" should not be allowed to do so. I too have been around rough characters plenty in my lifetime, and there's one thing you never do: Point a gun at them. Those kind of people will shoot at you if you do. There's one thing I want to avoid at all costs, and that's having someone shoot at me. I have a concealed pistol permit myself, but I don't carry. That's not what it's for. (I got it decades ago when you had to have it to transport any firearm cased.) I know a guy who informed me quite seriously that "my piece has got me out of a lot of bad situations." I looked at him right back and told him "I don't carry, and I've never been in one of your 'bad situations' and never felt the need for a firearm. I have to wonder how you got into these 'bad situations' to begin with?" That didn't make him too happy.

You have to remember I grew up in a small town in the 70's where they hosted the Grand National Dirt Track Races every summer. Guess who would roll into town for those? Hell's Angels, Gypsy Jokers, Brother Speed, and Free Souls. My Dad used to sell beer to them at the fairgrounds where the races were (and still are!) held. In the evenings he'd go shoot pool with them at the local bar. He was a gun nut even back then, but he didn't carry. What would be the point?

I rely mostly on my "Doug-Fu" which is basically waving my arms over my head and running away screaming like a little girl. This works.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:25 pm
There's one thing I want to avoid at all costs, and that's having someone shoot at me
I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:26 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
There's one thing I want to avoid at all costs, and that's having someone shoot at me
Sarcasm is the last refuge of the feeble mind.

Ask me how I know.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:14 am

@ Tarmaque - I knew some of these people because I lived among them, they knew me and I was good to go, no problem. I don't want to blow smoke stories - but I tell you of one fella - I forget his real name but his nickname was Animal.. 6' 270 I'm thinking, never saw anyone built like him. Top to bottom like, round as a big oak tree trunk - a big German guy.
Gone forever, because when they sentenced him it was without parole, he was never going to get out.
We were talking bad people. He killed a businessman who was thought to be a snitch. Before he cut the guys throat, he cut his fingers off with them handheld pruning shears. Bad people. And there was an interesting story I heard that happened when he was arrested . The cops put him in a cell with five black guys for fun to see what would happen. Animal killed three of them just hands and brute strength, the fourth one crippled and the fifth one nothing happened. It was told to me that one was cuddled in the jail cell corner crying.
Anyway, that was long ago

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:50 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:43 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
My opinion is, the more people have guns in a bad situation, the more likely someone is going to get shot...

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:53 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:14 am
@ Tarmaque - I knew some of these people because I lived among them, they knew me and I was good to go, no problem. I don't want to blow smoke stories - but I tell you of one fella - I forget his real name but his nickname was Animal.. 6' 270 I'm thinking, never saw anyone built like him. Top to bottom like, round as a big oak tree trunk - a big German guy.
Gone forever, because when they sentenced him it was without parole, he was never going to get out.
We were talking bad people. He killed a businessman who was thought to be a snitch. Before he cut the guys throat, he cut his fingers off with them handheld pruning shears. Bad people. And there was an interesting story I heard that happened when he was arrested . The cops put him in a cell with five black guys for fun to see what would happen. Animal killed three of them just hands and brute strength, the fourth one crippled and the fifth one nothing happened. It was told to me that one was cuddled in the jail cell corner crying.
Anyway, that was long ago
😳

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:08 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:50 am
My opinion is, the more people have guns in a bad situation, the more likely someone is going to get shot...
The more people have knives in a bad situation, the more likely someone is going to get cut.

The more people have boards in a bad situation, the more likely someone is going to get whacked. (I was going to say "be bored" but that would be a terrible pun.)

The truth is, it isn't the specific weapons in the bad situation that are the problem, but the specific idiots who got into the bad situation to begin with. Bad situations are caused by people. Some people like to cause chaos and violence. It makes them feel powerful. Some people like to run away. It makes them feel less dead.