The Structure of Salads on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

The Structure of Salads on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:10 am

photo-1600335895229-6e75511892c8.jpg
istockphoto-500121583-612x612.jpg
easy-pasta-salad-resize-3.jpg
macaroni-salad-12-1200.jpg
I love salads, from regular ones ( though I have to watch how often I have them due to digestive issues...lol)to pasta salads to macaroni salad, except for the multi salad pic, I just picked ones that looked close enough to the ones I make to suffice. So, my ingredients to build the perfect salad to me:

Regular Salad:
Spinach or Spring mix ( iceberg lettuce is useless and tasteless...lol)
Red Onions, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Mushrooms, and green olives are mandatory, with finely shredded mozzarella and a few garlic or rye croutons..balsamic or regular vinegar, and virgin olive oil...also added sometimes: baked ham pieces or slices, pepperoncini's, black olives, and red cabbage

Pasta Salad:
Muti colored spring pasta
red onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, black and or green olives,..extra possible: Pepperoni... I will pretty much eat the way others make it but, not a fan of cheese in a pasta salad ( though yes in an antipasto salad), or broccoli , cauliflower etc

Macaroni Salad
Elbows are good, but like shells too...I use Miracle Whip because while I don't care for either prefer it to mayo...I learned a secret from a relative to use a little mustard for tang, and then a little sugar to balance mixed with the MW...celery, carrots, white onions...when I make it for special occasions, I also put sliced hard-boiled eggs on the top and sprinkle with paprika.So, do you like salads, what are your favorites and how do you make yours?

Randi

Re: The Structure of Salads on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Randi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:16 pm

I stole a salad recipe from a restaurant in State College, PA
Fresh Spinach, black olives, anchovies, fresh mushrooms and feta cheese. Topped with a dressing of balsamic vinegar and oil. The original had hard boiled eggs on top. I don’t like hard boiled eggs so I omit them. I have also fixed it without the anchovies when I didn’t have them

I’m like you with digestive issues Zangie, don’t ever have a salad and a pizza with a cauliflower crust. I couldn’t leave the house after I had that combo lol!

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:41 pm

Randi wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:16 pm
I stole a salad recipe from a restaurant in State College, PA
Fresh Spinach, black olives, anchovies, fresh mushrooms and feta cheese. Topped with a dressing of balsamic vinegar and oil. The original had hard boiled eggs on top. I don’t like hard boiled eggs so I omit them. I have also fixed it without the anchovies when I didn’t have them

I’m like you with digestive issues Zangie, don’t ever have a salad and a pizza with a cauliflower crust. I couldn’t leave the house after I had that combo lol!
:lol: :lol:
Yeah, it is a PITA (Pun intended)...lol

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 pm

Salads, sure they're pretty, but..
75b93988a1.jpg
75b93988a1.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
That means steak and a potato

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:49 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Salads, sure they're pretty, but..
75b93988a1.jpg
That means steak and a potato
I love steaks too, but, kinda pricy for me being unemployed, so haven't had one in a while

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:22 pm

It's a little off topic, but still talking about food so when I'm out and have a meal I'm usually ordering a beer with it like Mexican or a steak. An exception would be Italian where it's always a glass of wine

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:23 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:22 pm
It's a little off topic, but still talking about food so when I'm out and have a meal I'm usually ordering a beer with it like Mexican or a steak. An exception would be Italian where it's always a glass of wine
I don't care for beer, too bitter...but, I do like Zinfandel Blush and Margarita's, and yes, wine tastes good with pasta