Monday Morning Musing on the NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Monday Morning Musing on the NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:04 am

11823733_10207143436606293_496432396_n.jpg
11823733_10207143436606293_496432396_n.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (6.22 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
aim-high.jpg
aim-high.jpg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
MMM-move-toward-what-you-want.jpg
creative-ife.jpg
So, I have a lot on my mind. The last time I started a new job, was over 21 years ago...lol...I am nervous and my stomach is reflecting that I haven't slept well or long enough for three days and I am exhausted, gonna go to bed after I do the threads. wish me luck and I will keep you guys posted about how it goes. ( Oh, and Happy Birthday to me...lol...( after midnight...lol)

Z is for Zangie

Re: Monday Morning Muses on the NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:06 am

I have kind of a cool story:

So, JVL ( contributor I follow and love on the Bulwark) recommended subscribing to Matt LaBash's ( conservative journalist, used to work for the Weekly Standard) new Substack and I did, loved his piece and sense of humor....and I posted that I was free for now but I have been unemployed for a year and just starting a new job so I can't afford to pay right t now, but, will as soon as I can.

Apparently one of the other readers wanted to pay for a year's subscription for me anonymously, so Matt wrote to ask for my email...then he tells me that he decided to just comp me a year and will have this kind person donate to a charity of his choice...and he wants to do a piece about me and how I have struggled, and the kindness of this stranger...I am in shock and really flattered, he asked me a bunch of questions, which I answered. I will send it to you once he gets it done and sends it to me...so tickled really...lol...who'd have thought.

Slip Shod

Re: Monday Morning Musing on the NO PO Open Thread

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:42 am

RiqHiunKo6ces.gif
RiqHiunKo6ces.gif (105.52 KiB) Viewed 1560 times

Randi

Post by Randi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:43 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:06 am
Apparently one of the other readers wanted to pay for a year's subscription for me anonymously, so Matt wrote to ask for my email...then he tells me that he decided to just comp me a year and will have this kind person donate to a charity of his choice...and he wants to do a piece about me and how I have struggled, and the kindness of this stranger...I am in shock and really flattered, he asked me a bunch of questions, which I answered. I will send it to you once he gets it done and sends it to me...so tickled really...lol...who'd have thought.
That’s so nice!

Happy Birthday and good luck with your new job!

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Happy birthday Zangie!!

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:48 pm

And a happy Columbus Day for sure -
Challenging the so-called 'science' of his day, he proved them wrong at risk of his own life.
Science is evolving. And to say at some point the buck stops here on any given ' truth accepted today ' is maybe not so much true

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:58 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:48 pm
Challenging the so-called 'science' of his day, he proved them wrong at risk of his own life.
Not exactly true. The 'science' of his day more or less accepted the idea of a sphere shaped world, including the idea that the Earth and other planets orbited the sun (in contradiction to Aristotle and various others.) However the 'popular science' of the day, much like the FaceBook 'science' of today, didn't believe it.

Galileo fought the church about it less than a century after Columbus, but it wasn't quite what people think. Galileo sent a series of letters to a woman acquaintance he had at the time, saying that yes, scientifically speaking, the church was wrong about the Earth being the center of the universe. She started passing that information around and all hell broke loose. The church went to Galileo and said 'Listen bud, we know your're right. Some of the greatest scientists in the world work for the church. But you can't just be telling the public this stuff. We've got to break it to them slowly, and we're working on it. So keep your yap shut!' Galileo was like 'Stuff that, I'm gonna say what I want because it's the truth!' So the church arrested him and put him under house arrest. Mostly because he wouldn't shut up, not because he was wrong. They knew he was right.

And let us not forget that Columbus was dead wrong in his navigation. He had estimated the size of the Earth about 60% smaller than it actually is, in spite of the fact that very close estimates of the diameter of the Earth had been available for hundreds of years. He thought Japan was only about 2700 miles west of the Canary Islands, but he landed in the Caribbean over 1000 miles further west than he calculated. Japan is over 10,000 miles to the west of Europe. So not only was Columbus wrong about how far away things were, he was wrong about where he landed. He was lucky to have survived and lucky to have landed where he did.

So Columbus didn't really risk his life to prove the science of his day wrong. He risked his life thinking his wrong science was right and stumbled onto the greatest discovery of the western world utterly by accident. Then exploited the indigenous peoples and their resources for his own enrichment, while paying them back with slavery and disease.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:58 pm
Not exactly true. The 'science' of his day more or less accepted the idea of a sphere shaped world, including the idea that the Earth and other planets orbited the sun (in contradiction to Aristotle and various others.) However the 'popular science' of the day, much like the FaceBook 'science' of today, didn't believe it.
I was aware of that, but I really hadn't put it together with what is going on today quite so well. Thanks for that Tarm.