Towing against the Tide on the Thursday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Towing against the Tide on the Thursday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 am

sometimes-when-youre-lost-you-might-need-to-swim-against-the-57082672.png
sometimes-when-youre-lost-you-might-need-to-swim-against-the-57082672.png (233.73 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (16.27 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
There are different ways and reasons to swim against the tide, sometimes by choice, sometimes not so much. This past year I have felt like I didn't have much choice and had to keep fighting against this almost immovable force of getting washed away for good. At least for now, the tide has not only receded but, I feel like it might stay there for a long time now. Could be over-optimism, something, like overthinking things, I do a lot. OTOH, I had nothing to really do with this event. Fate, karma, synchronicity, other people did. I have swum against the tide on purpose for a large portion of my life, trying to stick to my principles and be me, whether it was popular or not. I think overall it has been a good thing, and at least I can say I stuck to it in harder times. What are your feelings about this concept and fate and how much do we actually control the things that happen to us? ( BTW, did anyone read Matt's piece and what did you think? Do you think I should have said no, when he asked, been anonymous and/or not as frank/honest as I was? I really think I did a good thing in being a good example for my beliefs way. It has been pretty awesome while it makes me a bit self-conscious also. But, I did find I had more friends than I thought I did and more people like me on a not my bubble place than I thought also. I don't regret it. Bur, I wonder if at some point I get some blowback.

Slip Shod

Re: Towing against the Tide on the Thursday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:58 pm

Having principles and sticking to them is a good thing at least that's what I believe. Wall Street and Congress would call us suckers.
It's all on how you go about it; you don't want to be obstinate

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:58 pm
Having principles and sticking to them is a good thing at least that's what I believe.
What if those principles are not anchored in reality? Just because someone holds something as a principle that doesn't mean that it is a good thing in practice.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:16 pm

If you are lost, always go with the flow. It will lead you to civilization . . . or at least to other people.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:57 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:58 pm
Having principle and sticking to them is a good thing at least that's what I believe.
What if those principles are not anchored in reality? Just because someone holds something as a principle that doesn't mean that it is a good thing in practice.
That's an interesting conversation .. reality. Principle could be looked at as walking in best intentions to the measure of understanding we have. And then there's who's reality makes the final judgement. Shall we all walk in your reality

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:17 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 pm
That's an interesting conversation .. reality. Principle could be looked at as walking in best intentions to the measure of understanding we have. And then there's who's reality makes the final judgement. Shall we all walk in your reality
I think we all should walk in objective reality.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:04 pm

So, nobody read the piece? I am hurt...sigh

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:12 am

I did read it Ms. Z and wasn't sure how to respond because understanding what you were going through made me feel bad. And it touched the fella doing piece on you too. I don't know if I could handle it as well as you did; you were always here for us posting with grace and a stiff upper lip. I know we're all so happy for you and your new job. Handling it the way you did, staying upbeat demonstrates your inner strength, you're a very special person to all of us.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:49 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:12 am
I did read it Ms. Z and wasn't sure how to respond because understanding what you were going through made me feel bad. And it touched the fella doing piece on you too. I don't know if I could handle it as well as you did; you were always here for us posting with grace and a stiff upper lip. I know we're all so happy for you and your new job. Handling it the way you did, staying upbeat demonstrates your inner strength, you're a very special person to all of us.
Aww, thanks Slip...I go back and forth between it was a good thing to tell my story and worried it was the wrong thing