Tap, Tap, Tap, is This Thing on? On the Thursday Political Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Tap, Tap, Tap, is This Thing on? On the Thursday Political Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:20 am

Good MOrning. Have a top notch Thursday!
Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 9.47.08 AM.jpg

Mike

Re: Tap, Tap, Tap, is This Thing on? On the Thursday Political Open Thread

Post by Mike » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Here’s one explanation of why trump’s sour grapes resonate with the tens of millions of religious conservative - Republican Americans. Written in late 2017 by David Frum, and published in The Atlantic in January 2018. Keep in mind that this was written and published months before the GOP lost the House in November 2018, and more than two years before they lost the presidency and senate.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... cy/550685/

Personally, I’ve been keeping an eye on the ‘manosphere’. The rage of white male christians as they lose their place of ‘guaranteed’ and are now forced to compete with, rather than subjugate, women and minorities is palpable. Make no mistake, the followers of Jordan Peterson and Tucker Carlson have a chip on their shoulder that they cannot bear.

From the manosphere: Gov. Gregg Abbott joins us yet again. He recently signed a bill that prohibits “mail order abortion pills” in that state. That is, the morning-after pill can no longer be obtained this way… and therefore, if your local pharmacists decide that pill is too immoral for them, you cannot get it.

So then. You can no longer obtain an abortion after six weeks in that state. But is the state seeking to prevent the unwanted pregnancies that would result in abortions? Obviously not. As we can clearly see, they are not only on the path to eliminating abortion but also to eliminating contraception to whatever degree feasible. This, folks, is not about abortion. It is about control, specifically of women, about enforcing the ‘virtue’ that Peterson says is a must.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Has anyone else been watching American Crime Story: Impeachment? I feel even more confused about Linda Trip then before the show started.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm

A failed land deal. An investigation into a failed land deal.

Yes, Slick Willy was sleazy. But that ‘investigation’ was waaaaaay overreaching. Pure political hackery. The land deal investigation should have been closed, and if there was sufficient evidence for investigating sexual assault by Clinton then have a new investigation for that. In any event, Lewinsky should never have been part of it. The misconduct was not only by Tripp, but also obviously by Ken Starr.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:59 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm
Yes, Slick Willy was sleazy. But that ‘investigation’ was waaaaaay overreaching. Pure political hackery.
I agree 100%
Mike wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm
The misconduct was not only by Tripp, but also obviously by Ken Starr.
Yes but Starr I get, it was about winning for him. Tripp's actions just don't make any sense

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Starr had something on Tripp; he had her lies about her past. As seemingly trivial as her past was, she was on record as lying about it in her federal job applications. That is a felony IIRC (feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken).

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:16 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:07 pm
Starr had something on Tripp; he had her lies about her past. As seemingly trivial as her past was, she was on record as lying about it in her federal job applications. That is a felony IIRC (feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken).
Perhaps, but she started recording her conversations with a friend long before that, and brought it up the the lawyers in the Paula Jones case. This was all before Star knew anything at all. I mean who acts like that?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:03 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:16 pm
Mike wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:07 pm
Perhaps, but she started recording her conversations with a friend long before that, and brought it up the the lawyers in the Paula Jones case. This was all before Star knew anything at all. I mean who acts like that?
I'd be afraid to ask, but, she was ( or is , is she still alive?), Jonah Goldberg's mo, he mentions her inpassing sometimes but has never talked about that event...I would not feel comfortable asking him

Randi

Post by Randi » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:23 am

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:11 pm
Has anyone else been watching American Crime Story: Impeachment? I feel even more confused about Linda Trip then before the show started.
I haven’t watched it. But I always felt Tripp and Lewinsky were both “ plants” in a way. What woman in her right mind would not have a dress cleaned after an incident like that happened? Ewww. Or at the very least take it home and throw it in the washing machine
Yes Clinton was sleazy but not nearly as sleazy as what came after.