Funny Friends Fandom on the Friday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Funny Friends Fandom on the Friday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:32 am

t-never-let-your-best-friends-get-lonely-keep-disturbing-them-anonymous-friend-quote.jpg
Crazy-Funny-Friendship-Quotes-for-Best-Friends.jpg
84920389.jpeg
84920389.jpeg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
60-Funny-Quotes-About-Friends-Short-Funny-images-9.jpg
60-Funny-Quotes-About-Friends-Short-Funny-images-9.jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Friends who are funny and can make me laugh, especially unexpectedly, and tears in my eyes laugh are the best. You all are capable of that, some more than others but, I appreciate it all and those who can do that. Is humor important to you and how good do you think you are at it yourself? I am good sometimes and can be a good straight person, but, I am not always as spontaneous as I would like...( unless it is sexual innuendo, I am pretty good at that...lol)

Z is for Zangie

Re: Funny Friends Fandom on the Friday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 am

Interesting side effects of that piece. Someone volunteered to help me with Excel ( don't get me started...lol)..and also to just talk..male someone of course...lol...also, a person who posts on my Disqus channel leaves near to me and he reached out and asked if I wanted to meet...have no idea why, but, still cool and I said yes.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:50 am

Z is for Zangie wrote: โ†‘
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 am
Someone volunteered to help me with Excel
Ugh. I'm not an Excel person at all. I can use it, and I can program it in my own thumb-fingered ham-handed way, but to actually make it do what I want I have a "who ya gonna call" friend who's a wizard with that program.

And I don't even have a computer that will run Excel! (I use LibreOffice-Calc when necessary. Which is rarely.)

That said, if I have an Excel spreadsheet in front of me and I need to modify it, I usually can. Badly. In a way that would irritate my friend.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:20 pm

๐Ÿ‘ - hey Z, never turn down a dinner offer. The first one anyway

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 pm

Tarmaque wrote: โ†‘
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:50 am
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 am
Someone volunteered to help me with Excel
Ugh. I'm not an Excel person at all. I can use it, and I can program it in my own thumb-fingered ham-handed way, but to actually make it do what I want I have a "who ya gonna call" friend who's a wizard with that program.

And I don't even have a computer that will run Excel! (I use LibreOffice-Calc when necessary. Which is rarely.)

That said, if I have an Excel spreadsheet in front of me and I need to modify it, I usually can. Badly. In a way that would irritate my friend.
Yeah, I can't even articulate how useless and time-consuming and inefficient I think it is...thank goodness we only use it for Purchase Orders...which I know I could do faster by hand, typing, or using Word...lol

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 pm

Slip Shod wrote: โ†‘
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:20 pm
๐Ÿ‘ - hey Z, never turn down a dinner offer. The first one anyway
Ha, I don't think it is a date...though it is dinner unless he changed his mind because of some issue about what time...lol..never responded to me after I answered a question about it

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 pm
Yeah, I can't even articulate how useless and time-consuming and inefficient I think it is...thank goodness we only use it for Purchase Orders...which I know I could do faster by hand, typing, or using Word...lol
That's actually not what I think at all. It's a vastly useful tool if you know how to use it. My friend actually built a whole setup on it for doing invoicing for another friend. It took him several days (during lockdown, when he was staying with me) but when he was done you could choose a customer from a pull-down menu, choose a service from another pull down menu, input a number of hours, add details like services address, do this multiple times, then it would output a printable bill complete with all the addresses and logos and everything AND a printable envelope. Adding new customers was trivial, as was adding new services codes.

So a typical process would look like this: The front page looked just like a paper invoice. The customer line was a pull down. If the customer wasn't a repeat customer, you go to table 2 and add them, then they appear on the pull down on the front page. There's an auto-updating invoice number at the top, date, and other information. Then on the first line you choose a service. Demolition hauling, for instance. One dump truck or one end dump, etc. (each of which charges different amounts per hour.) Enter date of service. Enter number of hours. This populates the charges column, and updates the total. Enter a note if you want (like a service address, which is typical) Add another service and hours and notes. Again this populates the charges column and updates the total.

Then you simply save as a .pdf to print, which actually saves two pdfs: the actual invoice and an envelope to mail out. There's a button on the front page for this. These pdfs are saved in a separate new folder under the invoice number, as well as saving the same as a protected sheet of the current spreadsheet. Close the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet remembers and updates the invoice number, but blanks the front page.

So to invoice a customer there is very little actual typing. Only an address for where the service was performed, and possibly inputting a new customer. Open two pdfs and print.

John was typing it all out by hand for every customer, in Word. And hand-writing the envelopes. (He didn't know how to print off an envelope. He had a rubber stamp for the return address.) It went from 15-20 minutes per invoice to about 3 minutes per invoice. It takes him longer to fold and stuff the envelopes than it does to do the invoice.

At the bottom of the first page there is also a tool for searching the various spreadsheet invoices by customer or invoice number to quickly find one.

It's a super powerful tool if you know how to use it.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:29 am

Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:59 pm
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 pm
That's actually not what I think at all. It's a vastly useful tool if you know how to use it. My friend actually built a whole setup on it for doing invoicing for another friend. It took him several days (during lockdown, when he was staying with me) but when he was done you could choose a customer from a pull-down menu, choose a service from another pull down menu, input a number of hours, add details like services address, do this multiple times, then it would output a printable bill complete with all the addresses and logos and everything AND a printable envelope. Adding new customers was trivial, as was adding new services codes.

So a typical process would look like this: The front page looked just like a paper invoice. The customer line was a pull down. If the customer wasn't a repeat customer, you go to table 2 and add them, then they appear on the pull down on the front page. There's an auto-updating invoice number at the top, date, and other information. Then on the first line you choose a service. Demolition hauling, for instance. One dump truck or one end dump, etc. (each of which charges different amounts per hour.) Enter date of service. Enter number of hours. This populates the charges column, and updates the total. Enter a note if you want (like a service address, which is typical) Add another service and hours and notes. Again this populates the charges column and updates the total.

Then you simply save as a .pdf to print, which actually saves two pdfs: the actual invoice and an envelope to mail out. There's a button on the front page for this. These pdfs are saved in a separate new folder under the invoice number, as well as saving the same as a protected sheet of the current spreadsheet. Close the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet remembers and updates the invoice number, but blanks the front page.

So to invoice a customer there is very little actual typing. Only an address for where the service was performed, and possibly inputting a new customer. Open two pdfs and print.

John was typing it all out by hand for every customer, in Word. And hand-writing the envelopes. (He didn't know how to print off an envelope. He had a rubber stamp for the return address.) It went from 15-20 minutes per invoice to about 3 minutes per invoice. It takes him longer to fold and stuff the envelopes than it does to do the invoice.

At the bottom of the first page there is also a tool for searching the various spreadsheet invoices by customer or invoice number to quickly find one.

It's a super powerful tool if you know how to use it.
Well, maybe it is because I believe it is an older version...but, what I get, it this huge ( and I mean huge) block of a ton of fields, most of which we don't use, that I have to tab through, ( there are like 6 or 7 in the middle that never get used)it is hard to copy/paste the info that is repeated constantly( the mouse doesn't always highlight it properly, I found a dropdown for copy paste and yet, even that doesn't always work, and on every PO, some info is just the same stuff that should already populate without me having to keep entering it no?, I have to fill in like 50 fields to generate one PO...and lots of it is just info that is on every one ( our name, address etc) of them..and the commands are obscure and make things kinda weird, like "list" record", "filter", I am just not getting the advantage...maybe if I use it more, but now it is just taking a lot of time to generate one PO...

I was making spreadsheets with the mathematical formulas back when I worked for Radio Shack ( for sales reports etc) and didn't find it this complicated

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:30 am

Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:29 am
Well, maybe it is because I believe it is an older version...but, what I get, it this huge ( and I mean huge) block of a ton of fields, most of which we don't use, that I have to tab through, ( there are like 6 or 7 in the middle that never get used)it is hard to copy/paste the info that is repeated constantly( the mouse doesn't always highlight it properly, I found a dropdown for copy paste and yet, even that doesn't always work, and on every PO, some info is just the same stuff that should already populate without me having to keep entering it no?, I have to fill in like 50 fields to generate one PO...and lots of it is just info that is on every one ( our name, address etc) of them..and the commands are obscure and make things kinda weird, like "list" record", "filter", I am just not getting the advantage...maybe if I use it more, but now it is just taking a lot of time to generate one PO...

I was making spreadsheets with the mathematical formulas back when I worked for Radio Shack ( for sales reports etc) and didn't find it this complicated
Don't look at me. I just work here.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:56 am

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:30 am
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:29 am

Don't look at me. I just work here.
This really made me smile, thank you
Thanks for listening to my rant
I am just efficient based, that is my my operations side, and this just seems inefficient to me

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:31 am

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:56 am
This really made me smile, thank you
Good. My work here is done.