Seismic Shaking and Shifting on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Seismic Shaking and Shifting on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 am

fa933.jpg
fa933.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
i-can-see-the-inside-of-the-earth-using-seismic-waves.jpg
i-can-see-the-inside-of-the-earth-using-seismic-waves.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Have you ever experienced an earthquake, was it mild, medium, strong? What was it like? I experienced one minor one that was centered somewhere in PA I guess. I was working at Radio Shack at the time and the glass front windows rattled and they was a brief feeling of movement. On another level...what kinds of non-nature events do you think are seismic in nature? Have you ever had a seismic shift in behavior or has some seismic event changed you in any way?

Tarmaque

Re: Seismic Shaking and Shifting on the Saturday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:32 am

Years ago (2001?) I was working in a shop that had been moved up here from Los Angeles, complete with most of their Hispanic workers. (I hated that place. Not most of my co-workers but the management.) One day we had quite the earthquake for around here. As I recall it ended up being about a 6.8 magnitude and was centered up around Olympia. Things shook quite a bit but there was little damage beyond the picture-falling-off-the-wall variety down here. However up around Olympia there was some minor structural damage. Funny thing was, as soon as the building started shaking all the Mexicans (they were almost all Mexican immigrants) evaporated off the shop floor and into the parking lot. All of them running at speed.

I walked slowly out the door, not really concerned about that little rumbler. It was a concrete tip-up building that probably would have survived "The Big One." However I thought it was interesting that all the guys from earthquake country freaked out.

We've had a couple other little rumbles a few times in my life but nothing substantial. They keep warning us that "The Big One's gonna hit some day! There'll be massive devastation!" Possibly, but I'm not hugely concerned. There's little I can do about it. If I was going to build a house it wouldn't be in a specific danger zone and it would be earthquake proof, but I'm in no position to do that. The place where I currently live is probably fucked though.

Randi

Post by Randi » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:11 am

2011-2012 my Dad was living with me then. He had lived the majority of his life in CA. I was outside staining my back door on a clear day with little wind. All of a sudden the trees in the lower field were shaking. I hadn’t felt anything but the trees had. I didn’t think anything about it until someone asked me “ did you feel the earthquake?”
Dad didn’t feel anything either. He said he didn’t notice them in CA unless they were strong. He told me some people were like that. Maybe since he grew up here he didn’t have the “ spidey sense” for earthquakes the way someone raised in an earthquake prone area does

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:22 pm

You inferred a link link between seismic shift and a behavioral aberration. The nightly news has plenty of crazy stories, crimes committed and afterwards when interviewing neighbors, friends of these people they would say ' I never would have believed ' or ' he fit in - friendly, waved.. never any problem '.
~
I'd say there was some seismic there

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:32 am
Years ago (2001?) I was working in a shop that had been moved up here from Los Angeles, complete with most of their Hispanic workers. (I hated that place. Not most of my co-workers but the management.) One day we had quite the earthquake for around here. As I recall it ended up being about a 6.8 magnitude and was centered up around Olympia. Things shook quite a bit but there was little damage beyond the picture-falling-off-the-wall variety down here. However up around Olympia there was some minor structural damage. Funny thing was, as soon as the building started shaking all the Mexicans (they were almost all Mexican immigrants) evaporated off the shop floor and into the parking lot. All of them running at speed.

I walked slowly out the door, not really concerned about that little rumbler. It was a concrete tip-up building that probably would have survived "The Big One." However I thought it was interesting that all the guys from earthquake country freaked out.

We've had a couple other little rumbles a few times in my life but nothing substantial. They keep warning us that "The Big One's gonna hit some day! There'll be massive devastation!" Possibly, but I'm not hugely concerned. There's little I can do about it. If I was going to build a house it wouldn't be in a specific danger zone and it would be earthquake proof, but I'm in no position to do that. The place where I currently live is probably fucked though.
In my experience, Mexican have excellent survival skills. Most likely, being from Mexico, where construction doesn't have the same earthquake standards California has, it was wise of them, based on experience, to have gone to a safer area.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pm
In my experience, Mexican have excellent survival skills. Most likely, being from Mexico, where construction doesn't have the same earthquake standards California has, it was wise of them, based on experience, to have gone to a safer area.
I didn't mean to sound like I was making fun of them, just it was interesting to me.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:28 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:59 pm
Senor Natural wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pm
I didn't mean to sound like I was making fun of them, just it was interesting to me.
Did you talk to them about it? if so, what did they say?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 am

Senor Natural wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:28 am
Nah, that was 20 years ago and I don't remember that much. One of the things I didn't like about that place was how cliquey the place was. Many of them couldn't speak much English, and of those that could I was only really friendly with a couple. (And one who couldn't speak much English at all. Juan was a good guy who could barely speak English, but was always helpful when I needed it.) Marcelo was a good kid and we talked a bit, but I don't remember talking about that. He was from Baja. And Alejandro. But my supervisor Raul I couldn't get along with. I knew more about every machine there than he did, which apparently threatened him in some way. He treated me like crap. For instance, I'd been driving forklifts for more than 20 years at that point, but when it came time for certifications he wouldn't let me. But all his Mexican buddies with no experience at all got certified. Like I said, management problems.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 am
Senor Natural wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:28 am
Nah, that was 20 years ago and I don't remember that much. One of the things I didn't like about that place was how cliquey the place was. Many of them couldn't speak much English, and of those that could I was only really friendly with a couple. (And one who couldn't speak much English at all. Juan was a good guy who could barely speak English, but was always helpful when I needed it.) Marcelo was a good kid and we talked a bit, but I don't remember talking about that. He was from Baja. And Alejandro. But my supervisor Raul I couldn't get along with. I knew more about every machine there than he did, which apparently threatened him in some way. He treated me like crap. For instance, I'd been driving forklifts for more than 20 years at that point, but when it came time for certifications he wouldn't let me. But all his Mexican buddies with no experience at all got certified. Like I said, management problems.
If all that is true, now you know the discrimination MAs and blacks have experienced for freakin' ever in this country. Good learning experience. Sorry, you took it the way you did.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:53 pm
If all that is true, now you know the discrimination MAs and blacks have experienced for freakin' ever in this country. Good learning experience. Sorry, you took it the way you did.
Oh, I work with a mostly Hispanic crew these days too, at least at the loading end. No problems. That other place was was just messed up. But I get your meaning. I've worked with a lot of Hispanic crews over the years, and back when I was a teen my Mom worked for Head Start, mostly with Hispanic students. That was a different era. Migrant labor in the 70's was looked down upon even more than it is today, but it was easier to migrate up here then too.

I haven't worked with many African American people simply because there isn't a huge black population around here. However the few that I have worked with have been fine. (Off-hand I can think of three.) Which is not to say this area isn't super racist. Much of it is. Just not the people I associate with.