Weary of Wakes on the Wednesday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Weary of Wakes on the Wednesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:48 am

funeral.jpeg
linh-le-UELT9OAFc4Y-unsplash.jpg
Funeral_Pall_Parlor.jpg
Funeral_Pall_Parlor.jpg (17.88 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Frankly, I am weary of everything right now, I am exhausted, can't get enough sleep, still having nightmares, have too many obligations, and have no energy or time to do them. Then we come to funerals, Rick's mentally handicapped brother died yesterday morning in his sleep, they really don't know why or what happened. the showing was tonight and I went, the service is tomorrow morning, but, I can't go because of work and logistics...he was only 60...the older I get the more of these things I have to go to, and I hate them for multiple reasons...and Rick and his family are just devastated...sigh, how are you about fuenrals? Can you handle them ok?

Senor Natural

Re: Weary of Wakes on the Wednesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Senor Natural » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:29 am

I am definitely weary of funerals. That is one part of old age I do not like.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:30 am

So sorry you’re experiencing all this.

I dunno…. I’m ok with the funerals of people. I try to be ‘complete’ in my relationships at all times, so even though there is sadness there is typically no “I wish…” where people dying might be concerned. It’s the deaths of pets that really move me, because they have no way to comprehend what’s going on and the bonds people have with them are generally less manipulative than their relationships with other people.

Death brings strange scenarios. A friend of ours died of heart attack two weeks ago. But he’s still on ice, because no living relative can be found to claim the body. He does have one living brother, but that brother is in assisted living due to mental issues and therefore cannot claim the body. There’s even a family plot that has room for him. Strange

Randi

Post by Randi » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:01 am

Mike wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:30 am
It’s the deaths of pets that really move me, because they have no way to comprehend what’s going on and the bonds people have with them are generally less manipulative than their relationships with other people.
Oh don’t even say “ death of pets” to me at this point Mike. I don’t know if I could take that right now. Just might put me over the edge
When Harry died I took his cats and his dog home with me. I’m not sure how old the dog is. We “ rescued “ him. I don’t mean we got him at a rescue organization. I mean we took him from someone’s yard. His former owner ended up in jail and hadn’t made arrangements. He is a very energetic pup so his vet visits consist of trying to hang on to him while letting the vet do what’s necessary. He is 8-10 years old , at least. His cats range in age from 7-12. One is still freaked out about her new surroundings.

Randi

Post by Randi » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:04 am

I’m sick of funerals. This is the only year I’ve had to go to three in ten days time.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:42 pm

My family and @DarkPaisley's family sit at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes for funerals. For the most part my family will do a BBQ in honer of the diseased and move on from there. I often say when I die, " Burn me throw me away, don't waste money on rotting meat." My wife's family is very Catholic. Funerals are 3 day events with all kinds of rituals and events. Open caskets, TV show level crying. I get through these events but find them rather strange over all. Her family is absolutely baffled with my view of death. It's pretty interesting to me how different it can be.

Randi

Post by Randi » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:48 am
Then we come to funerals, Rick's mentally handicapped brother died yesterday morning in his sleep,
So sorry for your loss. My sympathies to the family

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Randi wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:19 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:48 am
Then we come to funerals, Rick's mentally handicapped brother died yesterday morning in his sleep,
So sorry for your loss. My sympathies to the family
thanks Randi