Made in 'Merica on the Monday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Made in 'Merica on the Monday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 am

24bmgl.jpg
24bmgl.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
102121BuyLocalR.jpg
Made in America varies depending on what it is, and whether cost and quality are an issue for me. I love Nissan Cars, but, it is also true that they are made in America pretty much now. I don't read the labels on everything, but, if it is Made in America and the price and quality are better, I will buy it. Sometimes I just can't afford things that are.What I am better at, with the same caveats, is buying local, in any area I can I prefer to buy local. What are your practices?

Mike

Re: Made in 'Merica on the Monday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Mike » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:30 pm

This could get political, very political lol

But I won’t take it there. As personal practice, I buy local and ‘small’ wherever possible. Local farms, local shops, local products. Even if it costs a little more out of my pocket, it keeps that economic activity circulating locally.

Randi

Post by Randi » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 pm

I buy local as much as possible. Local produce, local butchers, local dairy. I deal with locally owned hardware and auto parts stores. Even though many of their products are made in China I know when I worked for a chain auto parts store in 2011, all their brake pads and brake rotors where made in China
I needed a new back door. I am having one custom made locally. It was cheaper than buying from a box store

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Randi wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 pm
I buy local as much as possible. Local produce, local butchers, local dairy. I deal with locally owned hardware and auto parts stores. Even though many of their products are made in China I know when I worked for a chain auto parts store in 2011, all their brake pads and brake rotors where made in China
I needed a new back door. I am having one custom made locally. It was cheaper than buying from a box store
I built a garage door some years ago. When we moved into my current house, the garage had two big crappy sheets of 1/2” plywood as the “back doors”. They were terribly warped, basically useless. I went shopping, and could not find any off the shelf doors that fit this particular opening. Nor would any contractor build what I wanted. So I got out my saw and handheld router, and made a 4-pane fanfold door. That was nearly 20 years ago, and the door is still functional. It mostly functions as two-pane, but I can fold the whole thing back out of the way when I need to bring heavy equipment into the back yard.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:02 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:30 pm
This could get political, very political lol

But I won’t take it there. As personal practice, I buy local and ‘small’ wherever possible. Local farms, local shops, local products. Even if it costs a little more out of my pocket, it keeps that economic activity circulating locally.
Thank you