Happy Halloween!!!

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Happy Halloween!!!

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:21 am

Hope you have some Halloween fun today!
download.png
download.png (32.95 KiB) Viewed 1350 times

Slip Shod

Re: Happy Halloween!!!

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 pm

This column's the political postings side so I think I'll go with it and it's Halloween
~
261s1a.jpg

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 am

Chuck Todd: 'Shocking' NBC poll shows 71% believe U.S. is on wrong track
~
NYC boarded-up 26 fire stations because of mandated vaccine. Firefighters quit - leaving the city and people in danger

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:59 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 am
Chuck Todd: 'Shocking' NBC poll shows 71% believe U.S. is on wrong track
~
NYC boarded-up 26 fire stations because of mandated vaccine. Firefighters quit - leaving the city and people in serious danger
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2- ... s-n1282820
Just gonna leave this here, don't believe everything you hear. they are free to not get vaccinated, but, there are consequences, apparently, some are willing to accept what those are. They are free to choose which is more important to them, their service or not doing the right thing. There are still, 9,000 firefighters that are not refusing...

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:14 am

I am sorry Ms. Z, this whole world getting so that I don't see anyting but crazy bad stuff coming down the pike. And there's all this saber-rattling with China. I fully expect to to see open hostilities. Every weapon that's ever been invented has been and will be used. Its history. Just thinking about all these things will get your head spinning

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 am

I read articles that follow new weapons platforms. The defense department actually believes China is ahead of us in applying AI to those platforms. They've successfully tested a hyper-sonic ballistic missile which they call a carrier killer.
They also have a hypersonic glide vehicle which rides the upper atmosphere like a surfboard able to go mach 20. Both nearly unstoppable according to our own defense department. Two of the smallest nuclear powers, India and Pakistan..a war and nuclear exchange between just those two, the dust flying up into the upper atmosphere would screw us all up into a nuclear winter, crops failing
~ a missile traveling mach 20 . That's like a couple of tons of steel traveling 7 times faster than a bullet

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:00 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 am
They also have a hypersonic glide vehicle which rides the upper atmosphere like a surfboard able to go mach 20.
That's actually pure speculation based on some tests of what China calls a "Spacecraft." Hypersonic "glide missiles" are a science fiction weapon at best. They scare people of a certain mindset because of the possibilities, but in reality they are not a technical practicality. Hypersonic vehicles in general do not work well at all in the lower atmosphere, and in the "upper atmosphere" they're not really any different from a ballistic missile and provide no advantage over them. The US researched such vehicles in the 1960's (Google: Boeing X-20 Dyna-Soar) but it never really went anywhere.

The fear comes because people in high places (our military) don't understand the difference between an "upper atmosphere" vehicle and a ground hugging aircraft. Anywhere under 30,000 to 40,000 meters and these things slow down rapidly and are no longer "hypersonic." At 4000 meters or so, the level at which they could conceivably evade radar detection, they would need a propulsion system that basically doesn't exist. A SCRAMJET or something similar. And even then the thing would have to be made out of materials that we don't currently have. Things moving that fast in the lower atmosphere just melt.

The US has been researching hypersonic missiles for a long time with little success, but even these are not really designed to attack other countries. They're more like interceptor missiles to destroy incoming ballistic missiles, and in some cases I've read about, to be ship killers. These are not hypersonic cruise missiles as some have implied. Unfortunately our military leadership sometimes has a habit of releasing statements from out of their ass, where their heads are firmly implanted. Personally I'm more concerned that China is building nuclear armed submarines which could lay off the coast of Maryland and spatter DC in a matter of minutes. China currently has between 6 and 7 nuclear powered ballistic submarines. Something to consider.

Once again, this is a fear-mongering nothingburger.