Weary Worker (s) Wonder on the Wednesday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Weary Worker (s) Wonder on the Wednesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:07 am

20211027edshe-b.jpg
20211027edshe-b.jpg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
just-exhausted-meme.jpg
just-exhausted-meme.jpg (26.06 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
8fd93421cdfaa55683a15752ef3975e7.jpeg
8fd93421cdfaa55683a15752ef3975e7.jpeg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
I don't know if it is my age catching up with me, or the long time at home practically immobile, or a combination of both. I am just sooo tired. I am getting at least 8 hrs of sleep and I am not doing any heavy physical stuff..But around 2-2:30 every afternoon I get really sleepy and once I nodded off ( though both the guys here do it all the time, so maybe something in the water/building?..lol...I am almost ready for bed as soon as I get home and definitely after I eat dinner...8 sounds good. I can't keep going like this, especially for the years I need to...does anyone here have this problem and any suggestions on what to do?

Tarmaque

Re: Weary Worker (s) Wonder on the Wednesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:47 am

I'm working 5 days this week, and it's exhausting. Also, my car that I've had for fifteen years blew the alternator. I got a replacement and installed it (which was brutal) and now I have all sorts of electrical gremlins. I knew I should have bought a new car five years ago.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:52 am

I don't know if it'll work in an office but I can tell you an old truck driver trick. And why it works I really don't know, but driving long hours through the night sometimes it gets hard - you've done your cups of black coffee, you roll down the windows turned up the radio and it gets rough, you still have to keep going. The hardest time, 3:30 - 4:00 in the morning (you've been going since 6 the previous evening ) it's dark out the middle of nowhere. They'll start popping sunflower seeds, 1 or 2 shell on. Your mouth and tongue and brain have a little puzzle to work out opening that shell & getting to the seed. Don't know why but it'll keep you awake when nothing else works.
That's one night's work. It'll be repeated the next five or six nights. That was my Nashville, Tn. to Laredo, Tx. run, I did that for several years
All legal by the book, using an electronic log no cheating - 14 hour total day - 10 hrs working

Randi

Post by Randi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:19 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:07 am
.But around 2-2:30 every afternoon I get really sleepy and once I nodded off

You may be dehydrated. If I don’t drink enough water, I tend to nod off in the afternoon
I realize in some work situations, drinking water and it’s after affects are problematic

Randi

Post by Randi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:25 am

[quote="Slip Shod" post_id=66961 time=1635915125 user_id=

That's one night's work. It'll be repeated the next five or six nights. That was my Nashville, Tn. to Laredo, Tx. run, I did that for several years
All legal by the book, using an electronic log no cheating - 14 hour total day - 10 hrs working
[/quote]

That sounds brutal. How w long was your commute?
Sounds like you got a solid five hours of sleep

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:13 pm

Randi wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:25 am
[quote="Slip Shod" post_id=66961 time=1635915125 user_id=

That sounds brutal. How w long was your commute?
Sounds like you got a solid five hours of sleep
[/quote]
What I was doing was a little bit different than regular truck delivery. What I was doing was pretty well thought-out down to the mile hauling auto parts going to Mexico and returning with empty racks. The auto manufacturing industriy doesn't believe in building warehouses and stocking parts cost money so it was called just-in-time delivery. So when Mexico got their parts they would be using them maybe 1 or 2 shifts of arrival. They have to have those parts otherwise a plant could be shut down and that costs money. If it's found that a plant is shut down because of a lack of parts 'without good cause" it could cost a trucking company $10,000 a minute for every minute the plant's down. So auto manufacturers pay big money to these trucking companies to get it right.
There were runs to San Antonio and runs to Laredo. What people don't understand about over the road drivers, not local drivers, we live our life on a 14-hour clock. Everyone else's 24. One day I'll sleep in the morning the next day I'll sleep in the afternoon the next day I'll sleep at night

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:02 pm

Truck drivers really are not appreciated for the jobs they do. If you're a driver they ain't waving to you .. they're giving you the finger - everything for your life, on your table comes by truck. Trucking is bad for your health, bad on relationships gone most the time.. who would want to do it? A little crazy helps

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:50 pm

I wish I had a magic answer. More exercise might help some. Have you tried crack?

Right now I'm going through a similar thing because of my galbladder. I'm nodding off all the time.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:48 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:47 am
I'm working 5 days this week, and it's exhausting. Also, my car that I've had for fifteen years blew the alternator. I got a replacement and installed it (which was brutal) and now I have all sorts of electrical gremlins. I knew I should have bought a new car five years ago.
If you want super reliable and super efficient, get a Prius or a Corolla. They are both. The Corolla is also cheap to fix.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:55 pm

Mexicans are smart, take a siesta after lunch, 20 minute joberdoo and then are able to work at peak performance for the rest of the day, however long or hard they have to work.
Country folks do the same.
Some of the upscale smarter companies, that are extremely successful, have nap rooms for employees to get re-charged.
Ask for an hour lunch break, eat for 20-30 minutes and nap the rest. You'll be fine, then.
Tell your employer you'll add that extra half hour to the end of the day and be extra productive during it.
Also, eat light for lunch - salad and fruit. Heavy meals or pasta or meat will require the rest of the body to rest while the digestive system tries to tackle the heavy meal.
Every boss I had for the last 30 years, shut his office door after lunch, told the secretary to tell anyone who asked that he's busy, and took a nap.

Randi

Post by Randi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:33 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:02 pm
Truck drivers really are not appreciated for the jobs they do. If you're a driver they ain't waving to you .. they're giving you the finger - everything for your life, on your table comes by truck. Trucking is bad for your health, bad on relationships gone most the time.. who would want to do it? A little crazy helps
I appreciate truck drivers. And rail road workers too
My grandpap worked on the B&O and so did my uncle. I know how their life wasn’t their own. They waited for a call from the dispatcher. They had to be ready to go when they were first in line on the board
I was a dedicated delivery driver for an auto parts company for a few years. I delivered parts from the warehouse to the stores. I loved it. But it was difficult for my family. Especially when I had to care for my mom and work a long shift. I am eternally grateful to my family and for her nurses for pitching in when I couldn’t be there.
My shift started at 2am. But I liked driving then. Fewer idiots for the most part. 10 hour days were standard but 14-15 weren’t uncommon. We weren’t subject to hours of service rules.
I wanted my CDL but the plates and screws in my ankle made that impossible

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 pm

@ Randi
Appreciated the exchange and thoughts with me. Not happy to hear about your ankle situation. We get older and we find ourselves on the downslope, all of us. It's going to be one thing or something. So we get up and make the best of it and with a little more understanding for others

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:48 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:48 pm
If you want super reliable and super efficient, get a Prius or a Corolla. They are both. The Corolla is also cheap to fix.
My Scion is basically the same platform as the early 2000s Corolla. I've considered a Prius but it's not high on my list of priorities. I'm just pissed that this one is starting to cause problems. Nobody but nobody keeps cars for 15 years. I don't know what I'm going to get if I don't just spend the effort and time to figure this problem out.

That said, this car is kind of beat to hell right now. It's been rear-ended and front-ended, the paint is shot, and the interior is pretty worn without being destroyed. It would certainly be good for another three or four years with some work, but I'm tired of it.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:52 pm

Randi wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:19 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:07 am
.But around 2-2:30 every afternoon I get really sleepy and once I nodded off

You may be dehydrated. If I don’t drink enough water, I tend to nod off in the afternoon
I realize in some work situations, drinking water and it’s after affects are problematic
Yeh, I should probably drink more water, but, I already have to pee too much...lol...I do have something to drink that is made with water at least...lol..( coffee and iced tea)...
I got my booster shot today and am feeling even more fatigued, hope I am ok tomorrow, can't afford to miss a day of work right now

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:55 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:50 pm
I wish I had a magic answer. More exercise might help some. Have you tried crack?

Right now I'm going through a similar thing because of my galbladder. I'm nodding off all the time.
ha ha on the crack comment...made me snicker out loud ( yes, once, a long time ago, it was awful....was sick for two days...)

More exercise makes it worse, I am moving more than I have in over a year, but, it tires me out more than it used to

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:57 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:55 pm
Mexicans are smart, take a siesta after lunch, 20 minute joberdoo and then are able to work at peak performance for the rest of the day, however long or hard they have to work.
Country folks do the same.
Some of the upscale smarter companies, that are extremely successful, have nap rooms for employees to get re-charged.
Ask for an hour lunch break, eat for 20-30 minutes and nap the rest. You'll be fine, then.
Tell your employer you'll add that extra half hour to the end of the day and be extra productive during it.
Also, eat light for lunch - salad and fruit. Heavy meals or pasta or meat will require the rest of the body to rest while the digestive system tries to tackle the heavy meal.
Every boss I had for the last 30 years, shut his office door after lunch, told the secretary to tell anyone who asked that he's busy, and took a nap.
I negotiated for the early leaving due to traffic and tired concerns...lol...there is also nowhere to lay down in the place I work, it isn't a typical office, and more like a garage /factory set up?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:48 pm
Senor Natural wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:48 pm
My Scion is basically the same platform as the early 2000s Corolla. I've considered a Prius but it's not high on my list of priorities. I'm just pissed that this one is starting to cause problems. Nobody but nobody keeps cars for 15 years. I don't know what I'm going to get if I don't just spend the effort and time to figure this problem out.

That said, this car is kind of beat to hell right now. It's been rear-ended and front-ended, the paint is shot, and the interior is pretty worn without being destroyed. It would certainly be good for another three or four years with some work, but I'm tired of it.
I love my new Rogue...

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:19 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 pm
I love my new Rogue...
They're not my thing, but I've recommended them to others.

I dunno. If money were no problem I'd buy a new Bronco, but even if I had the money (HA!) they're basically unobtanium right now. Most newer cars do not excite me. I'm thinking about an older Ranger or Nissan Frontier pickup, or possibly a van of some kind. I'd kinda like an industrial Ford transit Connect, but all the decent ones are being bought up by "van-life" nuts these days.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:22 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:19 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 pm
I love my new Rogue...
They're not my thing, but I've recommended them to others.

I dunno. If money were no problem I'd buy a new Bronco, but even if I had the money (HA!) they're basically unobtanium right now. Most newer cars do not excite me. I'm thinking about an older Ranger or Nissan Frontier pickup, or possibly a van of some kind. I'd kinda like an industrial Ford transit Connect, but all the decent ones are being bought up by "van-life" nuts these days.
Yeah, it isn't you, I was more promoting getting another car you like...lol..it is me to a T, and it turns out it isn't actually black (it's color name was Midnight Jade and I wondered...( it is actually a dark green you can only tell in sunlight...lol

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:25 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:22 am
eah, it isn't you, I was more promoting getting another car you like...lol..it is me to a T, and it turns out it isn't actually black (it's color name was Midnight Jade and I wondered...( it is actually a dark green you can only tell in sunlight...lol
I'd like to. The good news is I figured out the problem tonight and did a temporary fix. I ordered parts, and they should be here Monday (possibly Saturday.)

I always wanted to paint my motorcycle a red that was so dark it looked black except in the sunlight. I talked to a guy I know who sells paint and he said to paint it black, then go over that with about six coats of red pearl. I never did it, but I bet it would be spectacular.

I actually did have a bike that was metal flake black. You don't see that very often because it's difficult to do. It sparkled in the sunlight and was really cool. It was a good bike too. I sold it to a friend of mine and he crashed it. Multiple times. 😢

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:00 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:25 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:22 am
eah, it isn't you, I was more promoting getting another car you like...lol..it is me to a T, and it turns out it isn't actually black (it's color name was Midnight Jade and I wondered...( it is actually a dark green you can only tell in sunlight...lol
I'd like to. The good news is I figured out the problem tonight and did a temporary fix. I ordered parts, and they should be here Monday (possibly Saturday.)

I always wanted to paint my motorcycle a red that was so dark it looked black except in the sunlight. I talked to a guy I know who sells paint and he said to paint it black, then go over that with about six coats of red pearl. I never did it, but I bet it would be spectacular.

I actually did have a bike that was metal flake black. You don't see that very often because it's difficult to do. It sparkled in the sunlight and was really cool. It was a good bike too. I sold it to a friend of mine and he crashed it. Multiple times. 😢
My 1977 ? bobcat was metallic green, way cool...lol
My maxima was a weird brownish black, but mostly looked black to everyone

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:30 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:00 pm
My 1977 ? bobcat was metallic green, way cool...lol
I remember that color. It was actually pretty cool.