Tasty Treats Time on The Tuesday NO PO Open Thread

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Tasty Treats Time on The Tuesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:41 am

2018_snowball-cookies_5823_600x600.jpg
2018_snowball-cookies_5823_600x600.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
nut-rolls-9_createandbabble.com_1.jpg
lazy.jpg
lazy.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
What are your favorite treats this time of year? I only get these three for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. I go to Susan l's chocolates ( local business) for the peanut butter filled shapes ( they have Christmas ones this time of year, but they were out so no pix...lol...and I had one, can't find it...lol...I beg my friends to make me snowballs, and I go to Miss Kitty's for the nut roll. I look forward to these all year. What do you look forward to?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: Tasty Treats Time on The Tuesday NO PO Open Thread

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:47 pm

Every year my uncle got us a tin of Belgian Chocolate covered cookies, and a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Both are extremely nostalgic for me, and I've kept up the tradition with my nieces.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:35 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:47 pm
Every year my uncle got us a tin of Belgian Chocolate covered cookies, and a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Both are extremely nostalgic for me, and I've kept up the tradition with my nieces.
When I was a kid, going down to the fire house to see Santa on Christmas Eve was traditional. He came to the fire house at 7:00 on a fire truck. (My Grandfather was Fire Chief at the time, and helped organize it.) Each kid would sit on Santa's lap and tell him what they wanted, then when they were done they got a little paper bag with an orange, a bunch of peanuts in the shell, and five or six cheap bonbon chocolates. I don't know where they got them, but the fillings were creme in either cherry, vanilla, or chocolate flavor. You never knew what you were going to get, but I liked the cherry best. Later, when kids were a bit older, they could go to a little door behind Santa and get the same bag if they didn't want to sit on Santa's lap.

Many years later our local discount grocery WinCo started carrying exactly the same thing in the bulk section. I got them a few times for nostalgia's sake, but realistically the chocolate was not good and the fillings were geared towards a child's palette. Then they stopped carrying them at all.

But I'll always remember those little paper bags of treats from Santa. (And his two high-school girl assistants.)
IMG_20180512_0001.jpg
(Pretty sure I'm related to most of the people in that picture except Santa, who was another firefighter. My Mom is on the left in the bad 70's wig that my Grandmother gave her and she felt compelled to wear a few times. Behind her is my Great Great Aunt Elsie, who was my Great Grandmother's sister-in-law. The guy in the blue shirt is a relative, but I'm not sure who. Related to a different Great Grandmother, I think. Next to her is a distant aunt who's name I forget. We were related to a good portion of that little town back in the day, and we were related to one family who were some of the first settlers in the area in the mid 1800's.)(I would have been five years old in this one, and probably the last year I sat on Santa's lap. Note my saddle shoes. My Grandmother would buy them for me all the time because she thought they were cute.)

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:35 pm
We were related to a good portion of that little town back in the day, and we were related to one family who were some of the first settlers in the area in the mid 1800's.)
I understand the feeling. My mom's home town is named after her great-grandfather. All 12 residents are related to me.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:44 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:35 pm
We were related to a good portion of that little town back in the day, and we were related to one family who were some of the first settlers in the area in the mid 1800's.)
I understand the feeling. My mom's home town is named after her great-grandfather. All 12 residents are related to me.
Ours wasn't that small a town. Back in the early 70's the population of the town was around 1,000, but today it's more like 9,000-10,000. The surrounding farms contributed a lot more to the population too. Back then it was a bit of an industrial center for the local agricultural industry. We had a berry cannery, prunes and filberts were grown, and there was thriving potato farming. Not to mention a bunch of dairy farms. There was also a wood treating plant that made telephone poles and a cedar shake factory. All of that is gone now except for a small dairy industry and a few u-pick berry farms. The town itself has become a hipster theme-park version of a small town. I hate to go there at all.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:14 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:03 pm
Ours wasn't that small a town.
Neither is her I was over-exaggerating for comedic effect. Probably not the best move on the internet. I think there's about 300 people and the town is almost a square mile.
Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:03 pm
There was also a wood treating plant that made telephone poles and a cedar shake factory. All of that is gone now except for a small dairy industry and a few u-pick berry farms. The town itself has become a hipster theme-park version of a small town. I hate to go there at all.
That reminds me of the town I was born in. It was once nothing but apple orchards. We'd go back every year to get pies, cider and (of course) apples. Now it's a weird hipster town. I'm not sure I'd eat any apples from there now, or at least I'd check for mustaches first.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:14 pm
I'm not sure I'd eat any apples from there now, or at least I'd check for mustaches first.
Ahahahahahaha!

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:17 am

Had one piece of fudge a neighbor made and a couple of empanadas, but I'm trying to cut sugar out altogether. Getting to the age where sugar is not my friend - absolutely have no use for diabetes.
Merry Christmas to all of you.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:43 am

Senor Natural wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:17 am
Getting to the age where sugar is not my friend - absolutely have no use for diabetes.
Unfortunately, it is our youthful sugary indiscretions that cause the diabetes. By the time you find out about it the damage has been done.