Happy Monday Morning, another start of the week...what are you thinking about? (PO)

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Happy Monday Morning, another start of the week...what are you thinking about? (PO)

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 09, 2022 1:51 am

mail (3).jpg

Slip Shod

Re: Happy Monday Morning, another start of the week...what are you thinking about? (PO)

Post by Slip Shod » Mon May 09, 2022 2:57 am

Being an uncouth chauvinist pig such as I am, first thing that entered my mind when I read your question was tits.
Not sure why, it wouldn't have been my normal first response. I believe it must have been something from earlier on in the day.

Tarmaque

Re: Happy Monday Morning, another start of the week...what are you thinking about? (PO)

Post by Tarmaque » Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 am

Movie review for Angelle:

This had been billed as an out-and-out horror movie, and it kind of is. It's the spiritual cousin of Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead movies. Bruce Campbell even has a hilarious cameo, although most of the movie doesn't have as much of the typical Marvel humor. A sense of dread permeates this movie from the first scene, and it only gets worse right up until the end (which I found very satisfying, but some people have complained about.) If you've seen the trailers they do a pretty good job of obfuscating the actual plot. Sure you could guess it from them, but I didn't and I think most people who say they did would only do so after seeing it.

Elizabeth Olsen is the hands down standout actor in it. This is the direct continuation of Wandavision even more than it is a sequel to Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch is fine, but nothing special. Early on his wig is distracting, but you forget about that eventually. Absolutely so by the end. Benedict Wong is given more to do too, and that's a good thing. However I thought his character diverged a bit from his other appearances. Not too much though. He's more like he was at the end of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings than he was at the end of Doctor Strange.

Xochitl Gomez who plays America Chavez is probably the biggest disappointment. She's okay, and perhaps it's because she doesn't get a lot to do or have a compelling story arc, but I just expected more. But then again, she was a 14 year old brat and maybe that was the point. She never seems to do much but run away from things and follow Doctor Strange around.

Several cameo deaths are real gut punches, including one totally unknown actress and character. At least one fan fantasy casting is confirmed, but in such a way that it may or may not go anywhere.

It was weird and psychedelic and fractal and disturbing and not for those who have an eye phobia. I liked it.

(I would suggest that watching Marvel's What if? and Loki are also important to this, as well as Wandavision.)

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon May 09, 2022 2:00 pm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives…. aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon May 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:00 pm
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives…. aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
Sounds like a backed up sink

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Mon May 09, 2022 2:50 pm

another hot dry windy day - drought weather

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon May 09, 2022 4:09 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:00 pm
HA HA

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon May 09, 2022 5:57 pm

“i was told I look pretty good in the pictures. And I think there should be some bipartisan agreement on that.” Madison Cawthorn, on the spate of recent released pics/vids of him

I hate to say this, but…. that’s a hilariously funny reply.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Mon May 09, 2022 6:23 pm

Hey Z, I got all romantic and posted a love poem in the poetry section. What you think about it
~

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 10, 2022 12:51 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 am
Movie review for Angelle:

This had been billed as an out-and-out horror movie, and it kind of is. It's the spiritual cousin of Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead movies. Bruce Campbell even has a hilarious cameo, although most of the movie doesn't have as much of the typical Marvel humor. A sense of dread permeates this movie from the first scene, and it only gets worse right up until the end (which I found very satisfying, but some people have complained about.) If you've seen the trailers they do a pretty good job of obfuscating the actual plot. Sure you could guess it from them, but I didn't and I think most people who say they did would only do so after seeing it.

Elizabeth Olsen is the hands down standout actor in it. This is the direct continuation of Wandavision even more than it is a sequel to Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch is fine, but nothing special. Early on his wig is distracting, but you forget about that eventually. Absolutely so by the end. Benedict Wong is given more to do too, and that's a good thing. However I thought his character diverged a bit from his other appearances. Not too much though. He's more like he was at the end of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings than he was at the end of Doctor Strange.

Xochitl Gomez who plays America Chavez is probably the biggest disappointment. She's okay, and perhaps it's because she doesn't get a lot to do or have a compelling story arc, but I just expected more. But then again, she was a 14 year old brat and maybe that was the point. She never seems to do much but run away from things and follow Doctor Strange around.

Several cameo deaths are real gut punches, including one totally unknown actress and character. At least one fan fantasy casting is confirmed, but in such a way that it may or may not go anywhere.

It was weird and psychedelic and fractal and disturbing and not for those who have an eye phobia. I liked it.

(I would suggest that watching Marvel's What if? and Loki are also important to this, as well as Wandavision.)
One of the frustrating things about Marvel is trying to keep up with the series and movies and their chronology...I eventually watched all the movies up to a certain point in order...but, haven't seen much new stuff, Wandavision is on my list, so is Loki ( love him), just haven't got around to them especially the series...though Disney + helpfully just gave me a link to them to prepare for Dr Strange...lol...I have never heard of What if though...is that Disney or something else?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 10, 2022 12:52 am

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:23 pm
Hey Z, I got all romantic and posted a love poem in the poetry section. What you think about it
~
It was just a fun thing I was doing
Will do in a little bit

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue May 10, 2022 2:15 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:51 am
One of the frustrating things about Marvel is trying to keep up with the series and movies and their chronology...I eventually watched all the movies up to a certain point in order...but, haven't seen much new stuff, Wandavision is on my list, so is Loki ( love him), just haven't got around to them especially the series...though Disney + helpfully just gave me a link to them to prepare for Dr Strange...lol...I have never heard of What if though...is that Disney or something else?
What If? is another Marvel series. It's animated, but there's some important stuff in there. 9 half-hour episodes about exactly what it says on the box. What if Agent Carter got the super serum instead of Steve Rogers? What if Thor was an only child? What if someone assassinated all the Avengers? And so forth. It should all be on Disney+. You will love Wandavision and it's necessary before seeing this Doctor Strange movie. Otherwise some stuff will just not make sense. Loki is less necessary, but it does introduce the concept of "variants" which is important. Also, Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson on screen together is amazing.

How far have you got in the movies? Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is good, but Black Widow is less good except for Florence Pugh. I think you could all but skip The Eternals. Eventually it will probably be necessary to see it, but it isn't important to anything going on right now. It does barely introduce us to The Black Knight and the very concept of the Eternals (Thanos is an Eternal) but it has a lot of problems.

That said, Moon Knight is extremely good, although it isn't necessary to anything else in the MCU and doesn't depend on anything else either. The cast is spectacular. Oscar Isaac is excellent and I will watch anything Ethan Hawke does.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 10, 2022 10:51 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:15 am
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:51 am
What If? is another Marvel series. It's animated, but there's some important stuff in there. 9 half-hour episodes about exactly what it says on the box. What if Agent Carter got the super serum instead of Steve Rogers? What if Thor was an only child? What if someone assassinated all the Avengers? And so forth. It should all be on Disney+. You will love Wandavision and it's necessary before seeing this Doctor Strange movie. Otherwise some stuff will just not make sense. Loki is less necessary, but it does introduce the concept of "variants" which is important. Also, Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson on screen together is amazing.

OK, thanks

How far have you got in the movies? Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is good, but Black Widow is less good except for Florence Pugh. I think you could all but skip The Eternals. Eventually, it will probably be necessary to see it, but it isn't important to anything going on right now. It does barely introduce us to The Black Knight and the very concept of the Eternals (Thanos is an Eternal) but it has a lot of problems.

I have seen through Ant Man and the Wasp so far I think..the first 23..haven't seen anything that has come out in the last couple of years, or any of the series

That said, Moon Knight is extremely good, although it isn't necessary to anything else in the MCU and doesn't depend on anything else either. The cast is spectacular. Oscar Isaac is excellent and I will watch anything Ethan Hawke does.
I am a big fan of Ethan also

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue May 10, 2022 1:43 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:51 am
I have seen through Ant Man and the Wasp so far I think..the first 23..haven't seen anything that has come out in the last couple of years, or any of the series
You've seen Infinity War but not Endgame? And haven't had a stroke?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 10, 2022 3:13 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:43 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:51 am
You've seen Infinity War but not Endgame? And haven't had a stroke?
Oops, I looked up the list on Discord where a friend kindly put them in order...but, didn't include Endgame, probably because I knew it was the most recent...yes, I have seen it...lol
I am conflicted about the doing away with the original ones and focusing on the newer ones...

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue May 10, 2022 6:39 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:13 pm
I am conflicted about the doing away with the original ones and focusing on the newer ones...
The newer ones don't do away with the older ones. Almost all of them are continuations of exiting storylines. Except for Moon Knight and Eternals. And to a certain extent What If? which just explores possibilities but aren't really canon.

I recommend setting aside a weekend to watch Wandavision and go from there.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:39 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:13 pm
The newer ones don't do away with the older ones. Almost all of them are continuations of exiting storylines. Except for Moon Knight and Eternals. And to a certain extent What If? which just explores possibilities but aren't really canon.

I recommend setting aside a weekend to watch Wandavision and go from there.
I meant the characters, kicking out the old to bring in the young...lol...( probably related to how I feel sometimes...lol)

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed May 11, 2022 12:11 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 pm
I meant the characters, kicking out the old to bring in the young...lol...( probably related to how I feel sometimes...lol)
Oh sure, but the actors who play them are aging out of their roles. If anything I'm shocked that Chris Hemsworth is doing any more Thor movies. You could really tell that Robert Downey Junior and Scarlett Johanson were done with these movies, and so was Chris Evans.