Happy Hump Day...wax poetic or philosophical...(PO)

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Happy Hump Day...wax poetic or philosophical...(PO)

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed May 11, 2022 2:42 am

mail (1).jpg

Slip Shod

Re: Happy Hump Day...wax poetic or philosophical...(PO)

Post by Slip Shod » Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 am

Waxing poetic or philosophical is the more inspirational side of our makeups. I believe it to be an important part as well. We all dwell in the cold hard fact of the reality of this material world; it's the inspirational side of each of us, that we all have, that greases the gears in our moving through life in all of our various relationships, whatever they may be.
Creativity and inspiration are one in the same and I reject that the materialistic world is all there is.
Great leaders in any field whether business, science, political, all have this extra gifting of creativity /inspiration, that intangible something, or maybe just understand it better, but it's there for all of us. It's how you want to see things

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed May 11, 2022 1:39 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 am
Waxing poetic or philosophical is the more inspirational side of our makeups. I believe it to be an important part as well. We all dwell in the cold hard fact of the reality of this material world; it's the inspirational side of each of us, that we all have, that greases the gears in our moving through life in all of our various relationships, whatever they may be.
Creativity and inspiration are one in the same and I reject that the materialistic world is all there is.
Great leaders in any field whether business, science, political, all have this extra gifting of creativity /inspiration, that intangible something, or maybe just understand it better, but it's there for all of us. It's how you want to see things
Wow, you and I can have conversation about this! lol

First, I reject that a “spiritual/creative/inspirational experience” necessitates the existence of something other than what exists. Heck, Disney can recreate the experience of a rollercoaster ride within a small room, via mere video and hydraulics! So just as we cannot state that the experience of an apparent rollercoaster ride must be an actual rollercoaster ride, we likewise cannot state that a phenomenon we experience as ‘otherworldly’ or ‘spiritual’ etc must categorically equal the existence of a spirit or god.

That out of the way… aside from what I currently do for a living, I was a professional musician for a couple decades and have been involved with serious levels of creativity. And I myself have experienced this thing. I’m not a lyricist on almost any day. But around 20 years ago, there was just this explosion of lyrics. And they just flowed for about a month. I was not trying to write; I could not help but write! The lyrics came so fast I could barely keep up. It was very much like I was merely taking dictation, like I was channeling something that came from somewhere else. And with the lyrics came melodies, and those I could not keep up with. I managed to get some of them on paper or disk and later recorded them. I wrote about 70 complete sets of lyrics in the span of a few weeks, and failed to write down dozens of others that came to me in dreams or whatever.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed May 11, 2022 1:48 pm

Disney's roller coaster physical enjoyment experience is for sure, but that's experienced from outside in, totally physical. So that argument is null and void, not inspirational at all. But as for the other, your personal experience, that's from the inexplainable and out from within.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed May 11, 2022 2:15 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:48 pm
Disney's roller coaster physical enjoyment experience is for sure, but that's experienced from outside in, totally physical. So that argument is null and void, not inspirational at all. But as for the other, your personal experience, that's from the inexplainable and out from within.
Experience is experience, and to the person having the experience the difference is immaterial.

Incidentally, from a legal perspective this occasionally has significant relevance. If you remember Amadou Diallo, the poor unarmed guy in NYC that was gunned down in a hail of police fire (hit by 17 of 41 shots from four guns), the cops were found not guilty of all charges. And they were found not guilty because, in context, it was somehow determined that they experienced a reasonable fear for their lives. Now they clearly did not get that from outside! Diallo had no gun. There was no gunshot to set them off. Yet they all started firing at this poor guy in the stairwell, ending his life. I dunno, should a person in a stairway in the building in which he lives invoke such fear that anyone encountering that scenario has a right to end the person’s life?

But apparently to those cops, the experience of fear was strong enough to legally justify wiping that poor guy from the face of the planet. (I’m guessing the new anti-CRT sentiment would find any teachers who don’t toe the party line on this incident getting fired.)

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Wed May 11, 2022 2:33 pm

Michael -
No words at all can make right a wrong that was done especially if someone lost their life over it. Sorry, doesn't cut it. I don't care what you'd pay me I would never be a cop in New York City or any other major city in the country.
Unfortunately, these are the days we live in where life is cheap. And from the beginning of time it's really always been that way. All we can do is keep trying our best to make it better - you've got to understand our best will never be good enough

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed May 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Mike wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:39 pm
First, I reject that a “spiritual/creative/inspirational experience” necessitates the existence of something other than what exists. Heck, Disney can recreate the experience of a rollercoaster ride within a small room, via mere video and hydraulics! So just as we cannot state that the experience of an apparent rollercoaster ride must be an actual rollercoaster ride, we likewise cannot state that a phenomenon we experience as ‘otherworldly’ or ‘spiritual’ etc must categorically equal the existence of a spirit or god.
That is a very fair statement it's also why I refuse to argue about spirituality. There are two ways we can come to accept something logically. The first is something that has been proven through scientific method, the second is personal experience. If we accept something through the personal experience route it's important to understand that it is completely logical for others to reject that as evidence. At that point what is there to argue about?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm

Biden is declaring inflation his administration's top priority. I get it, midterms are coming and it doesn't look good. This is campaigning, but the president has such little control over inflation that is this doesn't start to turn around quickly he's setting himself up to look incompetent or like a liar. Don't make promises you can't keep.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed May 11, 2022 4:21 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:05 pm
Mike wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:39 pm
That is a very fair statement it's also why I refuse to argue about spirituality. There are two ways we can come to accept something logically. The first is something that has been proven through scientific method, the second is personal experience. If we accept something through the personal experience route it's important to understand that it is completely logical for others to reject that as evidence. At that point what is there to argue about?
The problem is that people deploy their own personal experience as the benchmark of “should, must” for everyone else. And we know empirically that personal experience related to others a) is unreliable, and b) gets more unreliable over time.

I’m all for anything that personally helps anyone get through life. Even in this age of convenience life ain’t easy. So I will not try to debunk anyone’s beliefs. That is, until they deploy those beliefs as a cudgel against others. Then I take great delight in shredding them.

One thing is utterly clear where spirituality is concerned. Those who have famously had “real spiritual experiences” have virtually never been sitting in pews at the time.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed May 11, 2022 5:04 pm

Mike wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:21 pm
The problem is that people deploy their own personal experience as the benchmark of “should, must” for everyone else. And we know empirically that personal experience related to others a) is unreliable, and b) gets more unreliable over time.
It is part of the bias we all carry. We tend to give way too much credit to our own experiences/perception, it's natural to think we have it all right and others are wrong. It takes active effort to fight this.

You also have to understand that this comes from a belief that almost all organized religion seem to develop. Over time they belie that you need to follow their path to happiness and salvation. As misplaced and annoying as this behavior can be, it most often comes from a genuine place of love. There is a growing fringe that does come form a place of hate but I think they are even more misguided.