Thursday Thinking Thoughts...go for it...lol...(PO)

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Thursday Thinking Thoughts...go for it...lol...(PO)

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu May 12, 2022 2:15 am

Have a great Thursday!
robbery.jpg

Slip Shod

Re: Thursday Thinking Thoughts...go for it...lol...(PO)

Post by Slip Shod » Thu May 12, 2022 4:28 am

Thinking thoughts (what the world will look like 5 years from now)
Answers ..
1. Behind curtain #1 . Rosie peachy ('can't we all just get along?") And yeah, we did it. Who da thunk
2. & behind curtain #2 . Where's the light switch ? everything's dark in here and there isn't much in the fridge . What I wouldn't do for a cheeseburger right now

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Thu May 12, 2022 1:15 pm

According to your intro Z, I hope this to be the bestest rocking, most fully packed, wonderful Thursday - save the calendar & mark it cuz this never, ever was for each and everyone. Mike too

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri May 13, 2022 1:43 am

Reason magazine, once again…. they are, for all practical purposes, coming down on the antiabortion side of the aisle. Not stating it outright, but given their libertarian projection of concept, it’s kinda bizarre to see them not championing the liberty of women to make this choice. To see them go “under the table”, as it were, to make anti-liberalism their calling card.

Ain’t it funny how the folks who make the most noise about liberty, such as Rand Paul, standing so very firmly against the liberty of women. Of course, he’s the guy who believes it important that the USA not do anything to curb the Russian disinformation flowing fast into this nation. Every time Paul opens his mouth validates McCain’s criticism of him: “the senator from Kentucky is now working for Putin.”

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri May 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Mike wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:43 am
Reason magazine, once again…. they are, for all practical purposes, coming down on the antiabortion side of the aisle. Not stating it outright, but given their libertarian projection of concept, it’s kinda bizarre to see them not championing the liberty of women to make this choice. To see them go “under the table”, as it were, to make anti-liberalism their calling card.
Libertarians are very divided on this issue. It's perhaps the most complicated discussions of rights out their and it really comes down to do you give a fetus person hood or not. If yes, then the correct answer is pro life, if not the correct answer is pro-choice. Since person hood is a purely social concept there is no right or wrong answer.

This is why I've taken the position I have. As much as I personally don't like the idea of abortion in most cases, I like the idea of the government telling someone what they can do with their body even less. I accept this position with full understand that it is allowing the ending of a human life.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri May 13, 2022 4:30 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:59 pm
[I like the idea of the government telling someone what they can do with their body
So Guide likes government telling women what to do with their bodies!? IF indeed it is a fact that he likes this, Guide is a menace to women everywhere!

I’m just asking the question! Based on his own words!

(Sorry guide, but according to the “right to lie” crowd I have every right to do that. I know it ain’t true…. hope the point is made to those who believe the right to lie without accountability, either for the words or their potential consequences, is what makes democracy work.)

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri May 13, 2022 4:38 pm

Mike wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:30 pm
Sorry guide, but according to the “right to lie” crowd I have every right to do that.
You do have every right to do that. My first thought was WTF! Followed immediately by a chuckle (after I checked to make sure I wrote what I thought I did.) It was brilliant. 10 out of 10 on my Irony scale.
Mike wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:30 pm
hope the point is made to those who believe the right to lie without accountability, either for the words or their potential consequences, is what makes democracy work.
I'm not sure I can help you their. The "free speak absolutists" don't make any sense to me. It is oppression masquerading as liberty. I find it to be one of the most frustrating trends in our society. The free exchange of ideas is vital to a Democracy. One could call it a cornerstone. Another cornerstone is personal accountability. You can not have one with out the other.