Spiders & Snakes ...two of the biggest fear engenders either or both yours?

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Spiders & Snakes ...two of the biggest fear engenders either or both yours?

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 14, 2022 2:19 am

]I used to be really afraid of all spiders, even the tiny house spiders...not afraid they would bite me, just the idea of them crawling on me ( sure that goes back to cavewoman times...lol)...but after the close encounter with the tarantula in AR, I was less so ( and also reading all about spiders and what they actually do, how they behave etc...).Snakes bother me less, I don't want to play with them, but they don't bother me as much..and I think both snakes and spiders are kinda fascinating even so. So, now I leave most of them alone as long as they stay out of my way...lol...this came up because we have a wolf spider invasion at work, and today, I saw a baby garter snake ( he was actually kinda cute and I scared him...lol...when I went outside to have a cigarette...this song is hilarious and I love Jim Stafford, great musician, and funny as heck, he also sang Wildwood Weed...this was when I was a teenager.

Tarmaque

Re: Spiders & Snakes ...two of the biggest fear engenders either or both yours?

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 14, 2022 3:11 am

I was watching Stephen Colbert the other day, and he was doing his "Colbert Questionert" bit. One of the questions was "What is the most terrifying animal?"

Of course Sandra Bullock said "Spiders."

I can understand where she's coming from, but spiders don't scare me. Creep me out, yeah, but I'm not generally afraid of them.

But I'm here to tell you, there is nothing quite so terrifying as a Cougar stalking you in the woods. (Mountain lion, or puma. Same thing.) I know that Cougar attacks on people are extremely rare, but if you ever run across one in the woods or hear that uncanny growl or cry, you'll know what fear is. Particularly in the dark, or when alone.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat May 14, 2022 1:45 pm

Every once in awhile you read about a mountain lion attack in California on a hiker or jogger.
They're totally silent, you never hear them coming and they jump on you from behind. You're pretty much screwed at that point even if you were armed

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 14, 2022 6:17 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:45 pm
Every once in awhile you read about a mountain lion attack in California on a hiker or jogger.
They're totally silent, you never hear them coming and they jump on you from behind. You're pretty much screwed at that point even if you were armed
That's what makes them so terrifying when you do hear them. Knowing that they were there all along and you didn't even know. :|