Tuesday Thoughts and Themes...(PO)

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Tuesday Thoughts and Themes...(PO)

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 17, 2022 2:44 am

Have a great one!
smallgovernment.jpg
gas.jpg

Tarmaque

Re: Tuesday Thoughts and Themes...(PO)

Post by Tarmaque » Tue May 17, 2022 5:35 am

Even with my new pickup, I don't really drive all that much. It's been a couple of weeks since I filled it up. In that time, the price for a gallon around here has increased about 15¢ which is about $2 more to fill up my tank.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue May 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:35 am
Even with my new pickup, I don't really drive all that much. It's been a couple of weeks since I filled it up. In that time, the price for a gallon around here has increased about 15¢ which is about $2 more to fill up my tank.
It cracks me up to see folks who have two SUVs and a pickup truck bitch about the price of gasoline, and blame it all on Biden. What made them all magically believe the days of high gas prices were behind us permanently? Any world event can trigger these things nowadays, and between the pandemic and the Russian war in Ukraine we have two such major events. The lie of course is that permitting more drilling would have solved it, as there are literally thousands of active leases that are NOT being drilled. And then blaming Biden for the ack of drilling, well… I know this sorta thing, propagated by the same rightwing networks (FOX, OAN, Alex Jones, etc) that have been propagating replacement theory, plays well among the moron contingent. But it is hampering any sort of usefu discussion/action in our halls of government.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 17, 2022 5:14 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:35 am
I only need to fill up twice a month as I don't do much driving either outside of to and from work...before this all started it was about $34-36 to fill up, depending on at what point I did so....i hadn't been as bad here as other places, with the price flip flopping between about $3.60 and $ 4.19 ( the most I ever paid until today...), today it was $4.49, cost me just under $50...sigh

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue May 17, 2022 5:47 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:14 pm
today it was $4.49, cost me just under $50...sigh
The cheap place around here happens to be just a few blocks away, which is convenient. Yesterday it was $4.89, but I didn't buy any. A week ago it was $4.75 but I was only down to 1/2 tank.

Generally speaking prices here in the Pacific Northwest are higher than the national average, although "why" is a question I don't have an answer for.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Why do these liberal media keep talking about the victims’ race? This is a shooting like any other. They keep playing the race card, and they don’t even know what they’re talking about with “assault weapons”. There’s no such thing as a hate crime, it’s all crime. What about black-on-black crime? There were shootings in Chicago this weekend, why isn’t the liberal media talking about that? What about black-on-white crime? There’s far more of that; this Buffalo shooting doesn’t even begin to even it out. It’s all Biden’s fault anyway. He needs to stop hoarding infant formula and sending it to the illegal immigrants and making real American babies starve.

That, folks, is a small amalgam of what’s flying around the rightwing sites right now.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue May 17, 2022 7:48 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 pm
Why do these liberal media keep talking about the victims’ race? This is a shooting like any other. They keep playing the race card, and they don’t even know what they’re talking about with “assault weapons”. There’s no such thing as a hate crime, it’s all crime. What about black-on-black crime? There were shootings in Chicago this weekend, why isn’t the liberal media talking about that? What about black-on-white crime? There’s far more of that; this Buffalo shooting doesn’t even begin to even it out. It’s all Biden’s fault anyway. He needs to stop hoarding infant formula and sending it to the illegal immigrants and making real American babies starve.

That, folks, is a small amalgam of what’s flying around the rightwing sites right now.
This is exactly why I never go to them, though at one point I did way too scary and mean