Which is worse...being really tall or being really short? ( NOPO)

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Which is worse...being really tall or being really short? ( NOPO)

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 21, 2022 2:56 am

Logically I know both situations have issues...being as I am on the short side (5'4". though my mom is 4'11" and my one sister is an inch shorter than I am, , so it could be worse. ( and I so have that problem with sun visors, I have to put my hands up to block the sun...really annoying at stoplights I can't see when the sun is that bright...), so as we always envy people who have something we don't have,while I recognize that tall people ( especially tall women) have their own issues, I would rather have theirs...I can not reach into any of my kitchen cupboards on the one on the top...except for right in the front of the bottom shelf for instance..also, I LOVE tall men...lol...( cavewomen stuff...lol)
lortall.jpg
lortall.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
giraffe.jpg
giraffe.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
sunvisor.jpg
sunvisor.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
teehee.jpg
teehee.jpg (11.22 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
( ha ha ha)
tallattracton.jpg
tallattracton.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
tallvsshortcouple.jpg
tallvsshortcouple.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 1234 times

Tarmaque

Re: Which is worse...being really tall or being really short? ( NOPO)

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 21, 2022 4:25 am

You know what's worse than either one? Taking a hot cast iron skillet out of the oven and touching the handle with your fingers even though you KNEW it was still 450Β°F.

Yeah, I did that. Pulled it out with a pot holder, set it on the stove, turned around for a minute, then turned back and grabbed it. πŸ”₯πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ€•

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat May 21, 2022 2:21 pm

Tarmaque wrote: ↑
Sat May 21, 2022 4:25 am
You know what's worse than either one? Taking a hot cast iron skillet out of the oven and touching the handle with your fingers even though you KNEW it was still 450Β°F.

Yeah, I did that. Pulled it out with a pot holder, set it on the stove, turned around for a minute, then turned back and grabbed it. πŸ”₯πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ€•
Owwwwwwwwwwwwwww....hope it heals quickly and isn't really bad... :shock:
( i have burned myself thoughtlessly before)

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 21, 2022 3:01 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote: ↑
Sat May 21, 2022 2:21 pm
Owwwwwwwwwwwwwww....hope it heals quickly and isn't really bad...
Thanks Z, it's much better this morning, but I didn't sleep very well. It's just a white blister now. Feels weird but doesn't hurt.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat May 21, 2022 5:39 pm

Our physicality is the easiest and quickest to see, but there's more, take Stephen Hawkings, within that nearly totally crippled body was a giant in thought and physics.
Or mother Teresa, certainly not the hottest babe ever to wait to cross the street - no one ever honked or whistled at her, but she had an inner quality a selfless heart of gold.
I'm like anybody else, I have to keep reminding myself that it ain't all that you see . I like dessert as much as the next guy

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 21, 2022 8:26 pm

Slip Shod wrote: ↑
Sat May 21, 2022 5:39 pm
Or mother Teresa, certainly not the hottest babe ever to wait to cross the street - no one ever honked or whistled at her, but she had an inner quality a selfless heart of gold.
I suggest you do a little further research on Mother Theresa. She's not necessarily the paragon of virtue people think she was.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat May 21, 2022 9:44 pm

Sat May 21, 2022 8:26 pm
I suggest you do a little further research on Mother Theresa. She's not necessarily the paragon of virtue people think she was.
Ok, mother Teresa was just an offhand example of a point being made. You're free here now to pick a female example, someone well known & overlooked as to outward attractiveness but gots it going on as fantastic. We'll use yours.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat May 21, 2022 10:37 pm

Sat May 21, 2022 9:44 pm
We'll use yours.
I'm quite fond of Sandi Toksvig (Danish American comedian and intellectual). Also Sabine Hossenfelder, who I like although she's a bit controversial in the physics community. (And I personally find qite attractive, but not everyone agrees with me.)
Jane Goodall is another example. Eleanor Roosevelt? Doctor Ruth Westheimer? Lady Bird Johnson? Queen Margarethe II of Denmark? Whoopie Goldberg?

An interesting collection now that I look at it.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat May 21, 2022 10:50 pm

Sat May 21, 2022 10:37 pm
Sat May 21, 2022 9:44 pm
We'll use yours.
I'm quite fond of Sandi Toksvig
An interesting collection now that I look at it.
We'll go with any of them, they're all fine.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun May 22, 2022 12:33 am

Sat May 21, 2022 8:26 pm
You don't become a saint if you actually don't do good things, regardless

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun May 22, 2022 4:30 am

Z is for Zangie wrote: ↑
Sun May 22, 2022 12:33 am
You don't become a saint if you actually don't do good things, regardless
There are plenty of Catholic saints who have been made saints for political reasons. Perhaps most of them. In fact, in modern times the requirement of a bona fide "miracle" has reached the point of ludicrousness in order to canonize the "right" people. Corruption runs deep within the Catholic church, and has for centuries. Are all Catholics bad people? Obviously not. Were there plenty of despicable people in the Catholic church? Objectively so. But I submit this question to you: What would Jesus think of the whole idea of canonization? Would he approve of saints? Would he have thought that some Christians were better than other Christians?

As for Mother Theresa, I don't think she was a "bad" person as such, but I think she was hypocritical in all sorts of ways. She was certainly no "saint" except to the politically minded church. She brought them good press so they canonized her, but her actions speak louder than their praise. Her hospitals were terrible places where the patients lived in squalor and filth while she flew around the world on jets and stayed in five star hotels to raise money for them. Much of which went to pay for her to live a comfortable life far away from her hospitals. I don't find that very saintly.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sun May 22, 2022 12:06 pm

@ tarmac -
Instead of me listing, typing
Go to Wikipedia 'responses to criticism' getting the big picture of her mission and who she was, what she was trying to do. She wasn't running a hospital but a hospice for the poorest of the poor literally picking them up out of the streets.
Criticism does have a place, so does rolling up one's sleeves and doing something
She began where she was with what she had. There are those destitute and needy and you don't need to go to India to find them . I would say they're not too far from us
Personally, not having been in her place and having done anything close to what she's accomplished or been through, I haven't earned the right to criticize