Friday's PO ...speak up

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Friday's PO ...speak up

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:48 am

Have a great Friday!
mrz060322dAPR (1).jpg
mail (1).jpg

Tarmaque

Re: Friday's PO ...speak up

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:53 am

The trouble with any kind of reasonable gun regulation isn't that the Republican Party is beholden to the NRA or gun manufacturers. This hasn't been true for a long time, and both the NRA and many Manufacturers are either filing bankruptcy or in poor financial condition.

The real problem is the Republican Party, backed by the NRA decades ago, doubled down on scaring people into arming themselves and linking conservative values to that. This is much the same as the abortion issue, which really wasn't much of an issue prior to the early 70's.

What has happened is the Republican party now has a base that they have carefully cultivated to fear the government taking their guns away, and who they've stoked the idea that a violent overthrow of the government is not just their right, but their duty. These is the same Republican Party that convinced these same people that Democrats are in favor of killing babies.

The consequences of this is the Republican Party can not change direction on issues like abortion, or in this case gun control. Republican politicians decades ago lead with a fear and violence position and that has grown a whole culture of it in this country, and that culture is their "base." Even if they wanted to, they can't back away from that position. They all know that if they support even the simplest or most common sense gun regulations they will be primaried right out of politics. The Republican gun-toting base voting group will simply not allow even the slightest wavering on this issue, and the facts of the the situation have nothing to do with it.

Republican politicians brewed this beer of fear and hatred decades ago, and the current crop of them have no choice but to perpetuate it. The constant gerrymandering of districts only makes it worse, by making the general election irrelevant. This is not a matter of fencing Democrats out, but of making it so that the only real election that matters is the Primary, and in these Republican heavy districts only the most gun-happy anti-abortion right-wing nuts can move forward.

It's a self replicating cycle, which really doesn't have anything to do with politics or political "sides," but staying in power at any cost. And more children will die.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:59 am

And now that the depression is out of the way, there's this!

https://kidnappedbygnomes.com/index.php

(I'd play that game.)

Randi

Post by Randi » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:30 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:53 am
The trouble with any kind of reasonable gun regulation isn't that the Republican Party is beholden to the NRA or gun manufacturers. This hasn't been true for a long time, and both the NRA and many Manufacturers are either filing bankruptcy or in poor financial condition.

The real problem is the Republican Party, backed by the NRA decades ago, doubled down on scaring people into arming themselves and linking conservative values to that. This is much the same as the abortion issue, which really wasn't much of an issue prior to the early 70's.

What has happened is the Republican party now has a base that they have carefully cultivated to fear the government taking their guns away, and who they've stoked the idea that a violent overthrow of the government is not just their right, but their duty. These is the same Republican Party that convinced these same people that Democrats are in favor of killing babies.

The consequences of this is the Republican Party can not change direction on issues like abortion, or in this case gun control. Republican politicians decades ago lead with a fear and violence position and that has grown a whole culture of it in this country, and that culture is their "base." Even if they wanted to, they can't back away from that position. They all know that if they support even the simplest or most common sense gun regulations they will be primaried right out of politics. The Republican gun-toting base voting group will simply not allow even the slightest wavering on this issue, and the facts of the the situation have nothing to do with it.

Republican politicians brewed this beer of fear and hatred decades ago, and the current crop of them have no choice but to perpetuate it. The constant gerrymandering of districts only makes it worse, by making the general election irrelevant. This is not a matter of fencing Democrats out, but of making it so that the only real election that matters is the Primary, and in these Republican heavy districts only the most gun-happy anti-abortion right-wing nuts can move forward.

It's a self replicating cycle, which really doesn't have anything to do with politics or political "sides," but staying in power at any cost. And more children will die.
Well said!
I see both survivors of the shooting in Brooklyn and Uvalde are taking steps to sue the gun manufacturers.
There ya go! Let the” invisible hand of the market” solve the problem. Make assault weapons too costly to sell to the general public. The suits are alleging that the marketing targets young people
It’s a sad state of affairs when the second amendment has morphed into a “ you can kill a large group of people anytime you want and the government can’t do anything to stop you”

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:41 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
I've said it before and I will say it again, the beginning of the end of a conservative party was the inclusion of the "Religious right" in the GOP. Since then there have been other examples of the GOP including groups for the sake of beating "' 'dem liberals" while forsaking anything that resembles principle. It's been great from the perspective of holding power, but terrible from the perspective of running a country. What scares me is how many people blindly vote part, where in today's parties you can't assume you know what you are getting based on that affiliation. The GOP is probably worse in this regard then the DNC.
Tarmaque wrote:
What has happened is the Republican party now has a base that they have carefully cultivated to fear the government taking their guns away, and who they've stoked the idea that a violent overthrow of the government is not just their right, but their duty. These is the same Republican Party that convinced these same people that Democrats are in favor of killing babies

That harkens back to the "Southern Strategy" when the party intentionally cultivated the ignorant. They then melded those ignorant people and created whatever this has become. I will quote Mark Levin, "We don't have a conservative party in this country."
Tarmaque wrote:
Party above country baby. Is there an echo in here?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:43 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:59 am
And now that the depression is out of the way, there's this!
I think I found your cartoon more depressing then your shots at the GOP. Our culture really sucks.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:49 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:41 pm
Is there an echo in here?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:57 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:49 pm
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:41 pm

Echo, echo, echo

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:36 pm

Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:57 pm
Echo, echo, echo
Wasn't that Beverly D'Angelo's character in Every Which Way but Loose?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:41 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:36 pm
Wasn't that Beverly D'Angelo's character in Every Which Way but Loose?
I haven't even thought about that movie in decades. :lol:

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:41 pm
I haven't even thought about that movie in decades.
The sequel was better. "Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature. But we don't enforce them laws!"

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:15 pm
The sequel was better. "Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature. But we don't enforce them laws!"
They were a lot of fun.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:26 pm

Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:15 pm
They were a lot of fun.
I have a buddy with a lot of tattoos and a shaved head. I keep trying to get him to get a Black Widows tattoo around his belly button, but he won't do it.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:31 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:26 pm
I have a buddy with a lot of tattoos and a shaved head. I keep trying to get him to get a Black Widows tattoo around his belly button, but he won't do it.
I can't imagine why not.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:35 pm

Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:31 pm

I can't imagine why not.
He's a big fan of the movies. I think it would be appropriate.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:40 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:35 pm
He's a big fan of the movies. I think it would be appropriate.
My wife has never seen Smoky and the Bandit. One day I told her that a transam has to be black with gold accents and a gold fire bird on the hood. She didn't know what I was talking about. So I call a buddy on speaker.

"Hey man, what color does a transam have to be?"

"Black"

"Just black"

"No, black and gold."

My wife thought it was a set up. In her defense that is totally something I would do.