Today is National Drive In Movie Theater Day! ( NO PO)

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Today is National Drive In Movie Theater Day! ( NO PO)

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:53 am

I love drive-ins, always, my dad took us to a lot of them as kids, we even had one less than a mile from our house, along with 4 or 5 others nearby. Nowadays, unfortunately, not many are left ( but I have read they are making a come back).I think I read a while ago that there are only like 345 left in the whole country. I luckily still have one nearby, and Rick and I used to go all the time. Not sure why, but, lately he hasn't wanted to, sigh. You can eat, drink, and do whatever you want in your car, wear whatever you want ( as kids it was pj's...lol)I love drive-in food and it is two movies for less than the price of one. How do you feel about them? Has anyone gone recently?
driveinpic.jpg
driveinpic.jpg (10.25 KiB) Viewed 790 times
cartoondi.jpg
cartoondi.jpg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 790 times
familynight.jpg
familynight.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 790 times

Tarmaque

Re: Today is National Drive In Movie Theater Day! ( NO PO)

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:52 am

Drive-ins are cool, but there literally are not any within a reasonable driving distance to me these days. However there was one here in town when I was in high school, and we would go occasionally. They tore it down in the late 80's and built an LA Fitness there.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:53 pm

One would think drive-ins would be revived with the advent of Bluetooth, so you don’t have to hang a crappy metal speaker on the window of your car. But I think there are no drive-ins left in my area.

On a different note, on Friday I made my first-ever purchase of attire from a thrift store! I passed one on my way to a work location, and stopped in to see if they had CDs I might want. But within 15 feet of the door was a pair of cowboy boots. Mind you, cowboy boots were nowhere on my radar. Last (and only) pair I ever owned were plain Frye, back in the 1970s. I don’t wear boots; I have not been looking for boots at all. But there they were, and they looked like they might fit so I tried them on just for kicks (see what I did there). And they fit perfectly. And they are interesting while still being understated. And they were twelve bucks…. and they are in great shape! And they do not smell lol. So I got ‘em.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:19 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:53 pm
One would think drive-ins would be revived with the advent of Bluetooth, so you don’t have to hang a crappy metal speaker on the window of your car. But I think there are no drive-ins left in my area.

On a different note, on Friday I made my first-ever purchase of attire from a thrift store! I passed one on my way to a work location, and stopped in to see if they had CDs I might want. But within 15 feet of the door was a pair of cowboy boots. Mind you, cowboy boots were nowhere on my radar. Last (and only) pair I ever owned were plain Frye, back in the 1970s. I don’t wear boots; I have not been looking for boots at all. But there they were, and they looked like they might fit so I tried them on just for kicks (see what I did there). And they fit perfectly. And they are interesting while still being understated. And they were twelve bucks…. and they are in great shape! And they do not smell lol. So I got ‘em.
At ours you get it through your FM radio, though they could have upgraded since I was last there....Cool on your purchase, Thrift stores are fun and awesome

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:15 am

No, FM actually makes more sense. Dunno why I imagined Bluetooth.

And now that I got ‘em, I’m of course interested in cowboy boots! Used ones at that. These are Dan Post (never heard of that til this weekend). Mine have the original sole and original heel, with not a lot of wear. In scoping these things out, I’m seeing stuff that’s taken a beating - and they are asking $25-$100 for them.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:32 am

Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:15 am
No, FM actually makes more sense. Dunno why I imagined Bluetooth.

And now that I got ‘em, I’m of course interested in cowboy boots! Used ones at that. These are Dan Post (never heard of that til this weekend). Mine have the original sole and original heel, with not a lot of wear. In scoping these things out, I’m seeing stuff that’s taken a beating - and they are asking $25-$100 for them.
I like the square-toed ones, but, not the pointy toe...mostly because of my very wide foot, but, also I think they look funny...lol

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:48 pm

My Fryes in my teens were square toed, with a straight down heel. These DanPosts have a pointed toe, with the heel angled in slightly. I used to think the way you do about the toe, and I also have a fairly wide foot. These are 11 EW (extra wide). I’ve gotten used to the pointy toe very quickly. All it means is that there’s an extra inch or so of boot out in front of you! You have to be conscious of it, and of the extra height, at first so you don’t trip over yourself and fall over lol