Today is National Best Friend Day!

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Today is National Best Friend Day!

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:04 am

So, tell your best friend(s)how awesome they are....lol...I actually have more than one, different kinds I guess, there is Rick, then my BFF from High School and my friend Dan etc. Don't know what I would do without them.
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
friendship6.jpg
download.jpg
download.jpg (12.49 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
images (1).jpg
images (1).jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 1588 times

GuideToACrazyWorld

Re: Today is National Best Friend Day!

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:53 pm

Well, we are going out of state tomorrow (hopefully). Last night our dog had a lot of blood and she had a bad cut behind her ear. We called every vet in the area and the only one who could see her was an ER at a local collage. I showed up at 7PM, and went home to try and sleep around 1. She kept getting bumped for less stable animals. At 7am my wife woke me up, glad I didn't over sleep. She's fine now, but we have to figure how to get her taken care of while we are out of state. I'm not sure how we are going to work this out though. I may be staying home and let my wife and son go without me.

In happier news. Planing for the trip we reactive XM in my wife's care. I've been listening the bluseville a ton. My son has discovered the good Dr., The Night Tripper himself, Dr. John. He walks around the house singing, "Oh baby! If I don't do it somebody else will..." and wags his finger. Hear is the song life with The Band.

(note to the music geeks out there, you might notice that some of the playing doesn't line up with what you see. Martin Scorsese and Robbie Robinson wanted to over dub the must and give it more of a studio sound. Levon Helm told them to pound sand, but everyone else was redone. I wish I could hear the original recording though.)

Okay probably not the song I want a 4 year old singing, but the part he's sing is all that worrisome. He now wants piano lessons, which I'm excited about. He does think this will be the first song he plays. I hope he doesn't get frustrated when he figures out it's going to be a while. :lol:

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:03 pm

GuideToACrazyWorld wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:53 pm
I may be staying home and let my wife and son go without me.
Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

I thought the only Dr. John song anyone remembered these days was Right Place, Wrong Time.

Although I remember ZuZu Mamou and I Walk on Gilded Splinters.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:18 pm

Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:53 pm
Well, we are going out of state tomorrow (hopefully). Last night our dog had a lot of blood and she had a bad cut behind her ear. We called every vet in the area and the only one who could see her was an ER at a local collage. I showed up at 7PM, and went home to try and sleep around 1. She kept getting bumped for less stable animals. At 7am my wife woke me up, glad I didn't over sleep. She's fine now, but we have to figure how to get her taken care of while we are out of state. I'm not sure how we are going to work this out though. I may be staying home and let my wife and son go without me.

In happier news. Planing for the trip we reactive XM in my wife's care. I've been listening the bluseville a ton. My son has discovered the good Dr., The Night Tripper himself, Dr. John. He walks around the house singing, "Oh baby! If I don't do it somebody else will..." and wags his finger. Hear is the song life with The Band.

(note to the music geeks out there, you might notice that some of the playing doesn't line up with what you see. Martin Scorsese and Robbie Robinson wanted to over dub the must and give it more of a studio sound. Levon Helm told them to pound sand, but everyone else was redone. I wish I could hear the original recording though.)

Okay probably not the song I want a 4 year old singing, but the part he's sing is all that worrisome. He now wants piano lessons, which I'm excited about. He does think this will be the first song he plays. I hope he doesn't get frustrated when he figures out it's going to be a while. :lol:
It's probably pricey, but, for piece of mind and so you can go too...what about boarding her?

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:39 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:03 pm
Oh no! Sorry to hear that.
It's worked out our vet couldn't board and had a 30 dog waiting list. but another vet in town can. We have a meet and greet at 2:30. She's a sweet dog.
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:18 pm
It's probably pricey, but, for piece of mind and so you can go too...what about boarding her?
It's actually much less then I thought. Like 1/3. I don't get to say that too often in 2022. The issue is that she needs to see a vet in 3 days so I can't just board her, I need to board her at a vet. See above though.
Tarmaque wrote:
I thought the only Dr. John song anyone remembered these days was Right Place, Wrong Time.
Such a Night was also a minor hit, and I'm a huge fan of The Band, which is how I got to Dr. John years ago. My son is now obsessed he also walks around singing, "Mama Roooooooooooooooooooooux" but I thought that would be way to obscure. I'm just glad it isn't the spice girls or something.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:39 pm
I'm just glad it isn't the spice girls or something.
Do you realize how old they are now? It's kinda frightening. They're all pushing 50.

Just do me a favor and never expose your kid to modern country music.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:03 pm
Do you realize how old they are now? It's kinda frightening. They're all pushing 50.
That is pretty scary
Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:03 pm
Just do me a favor and never expose your kid to modern country music.
Oh God no! Hank and Patsy in these parts ;)

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:15 pm
Oh God no! Hank and Patsy in these parts
Oh, Dolly and Willie are okay too in small doses. And Gordon Lightfoot, who isn't exactly "country" but kinda fits in there.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:28 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:25 pm
Oh, Dolly and Willie are okay too in small doses. And Gordon Lightfoot, who isn't exactly "country" but kinda fits in there.
Dolly had a voice no doubt.

I'd call Lightfoot folk, but it's all Americana.

It's pretty funny my wife is just now starting to hear the connections between country and blues. I think American music becomes more interesting when you start seeing these threads.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:27 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
And since this is now an offical Night Tripper thread, I'm going to post my favorite duet that almost no one has hear.

Duces are wild is an amazing album top to bottom. The other standout numbers include Van Morrison (I mean of course), Tracie Chapman, and (surprisingly) Heavy D. When Heavy starts hitting on Lucile it is one of the funniest moments ever.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:33 am

Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:28 pm
It's pretty funny my wife is just now starting to hear the connections between country and blues. I think American music becomes more interesting when you start seeing these threads.
Oh, there's huge connections between country and blues, but both also have their roots in Irish folk music too. Country is the fork that embraced the Irish folk side more, while Blues focused more on the Gospel and African roots. However they're all so impossibly tangled at this point it's hard to really say where one started and one began. And of course we can't forget the Spanish influence as well. The great triangle of American music is African-Irish-Spanish, but it's 100% American. Even when it gets shipped over to England to be fermented and comes back to us.

But the really interesting thing is how dead the American music scene is today. The best American music is really coming out of Japan and Korea.

(Oh my heart! This is beautiful.)

(I thought Tokyo Groove Jyoshi were better with Juna on bass, but Rina does fine. Juna moved to the US to try to advance her career, but it didn't go so well.)

(That there's Juna, with her self-penned personal theme. Someone's been listening to George Clinton.)

And then there's Yoyoka and her friends. WAKASA in particular here is pretty damn amazing on vocals. Yoyoka herself is supposed to be moving to the US soon to continue studying.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:40 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:33 am
The great triangle of American music is African-Irish-Spanish, but it's 100% American.
Later even more Spanish was added but filter through South American. Afro-Cuban jazz is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of American music. But I am biased. I'm a huge Duke fan boy and although it was Dizzy Gillespie who really launched the crazy, it started with Duke.

BTW nowhere are the Irish roots better demonstrated then in the Chieftain's Down the Old Prank Road and Further Down the old Prank Road.

It was Albert Cummings who solidified the country/blues connection. He sings with a little bit of country twang it it really brought it to her attention. You are right that it all goes back to folk music. Which brings us to the debate of the ages, was Lead belly Blues or folk? I normally just say, yes. Blues is an American folk music style and he has songs that fit in both styles.

As for music today, it's void of creativity. I honestly have a hard time telling most bands apart (with a couple exceptions.) I had thought I was just getting old, then a couple years ago there was a study of musical variation over time, and the American radio music has become increasingly homogenized. Not only have the variety of interments, notes and tones shrunk but the overall vocabulary used in lyrics has shrunk as well. So, while I am getting old, that isn't why I have a hard time telling bands apart today, it's because they just aren't all that different. I blame the same record production companies who have been ripping off teenagers for the last 100ish years.

I will have to check out more Japanese and Korean music.

Bluseville is spotlighting an artist a day for June. Today was Elmore James. I'm a huge fan of electric slide (Duane Allman is forever my GOAT guitar God). Hearing so much Elmore today was a great treat. If you haven't followed the more modern players and you like slide check out Roy Rodgers (different Roy Rodgers). I'd suggest Down In Mississippi or his version of Teraplan Blues to start. I've seen him live a few times and trying to figure out what that man is doing live has to be akin to building a rocket out of junkyard scraps.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:40 am
If you haven't followed the more modern players and you like slide check out Roy Rodgers (different Roy Rodgers).
I love Roy Rogers, and it's just a shame Norton Buffalo is no longer with us. Terraplane Blues is a great example, (there's a nice live version on YouTube) but also a nice version of Mercury Blues.
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:40 am
I will have to check out more Japanese and Korean music.
Of course the kings (Queens) of Japanese Pop right now are Baby Metal and Band Maid, but I've been listening to a ton of Wagakki Band lately. Also Tokyo Groove Jyoshi, which is more of a funk inspired band. And there's Senri Kawaguchi, who with her band is playing more straightforward Jazz- What was called "smooth jazz" before that became an insult but today is often called "Fusion." She's worked with a lot of people for someone so young. (25) For guitar work find some Char. He's well respected around the world, but getting kinda old.

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:47 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:43 pm
I love Roy Rogers, and it's just a shame Norton Buffalo is no longer with us. , (there's a nice live version on YouTube) but also a nice version of Mercury Blues.
The album the did together is amazing!

I've seen him live about 5 or 6 times. Once just him and an acoustic and the rest with the bad. I've also seen him give workshops at blues festival. He is very Marin county, (snobby, arrogant) but I don't even care his talent is simply unreal. I'm always watching his hands when he plays and just thinking... How?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:59 pm

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:47 am
He is very Marin county, (snobby, arrogant)
Back when I was actually studying music and met a lot of "professional" musicians, I found that to be true of most of them. And the more successful they were the more likely that was to be true.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Speaking of country, here's one you probably haven't hear on top 40 country

GuideToACrazyWorld

Post by GuideToACrazyWorld » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:15 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:59 pm
Back when I was actually studying music and met a lot of "professional" musicians, I found that to be true of most of them. And the more successful they were the more likely that was to be true.
I also met Elvin Bishop at one of those events. Bishop is an absolute legend of course. He was a country fried delight. Our exact conversation.

"I really just wanted to tell you that Let it Flow is the first blues album I ever heard and I was hooked."

"I wasn't tryin' to prescribe nothin'. I was just testifying to y'all"

I still giggle when I think about it. It just felt way to genuine.