NATIONAL KITCHEN KLUTZES OF AMERICA DAY

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

NATIONAL KITCHEN KLUTZES OF AMERICA DAY

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 am

Yeah, I've done all this and more ( remember the smoke infestation of Thanksgiving, more than once?...lol..)Do you have any interesting of funny Kitchen accident stories?
istockphoto-72984043-612x612.jpg
cuts.jpg
cuts.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 787 times

Tarmaque

Re: NATIONAL KITCHEN KLUTZES OF AMERICA DAY

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:58 am

I'm smooth in the kitchen like Carlos Santana. Worst thing I've ever done is burn myself on a pan I knew was hot but temporarily forgot. We've all done it. Used a pot-holder to take it out of the oven, then grab it with a bare hand 30 seconds later.

I did also drop my good kitchen knife on the concrete floor where I lived once and broke the tip off the blade. Luckily I worked in a machine shop later and was able to grind it back down to a point. You'd never know it had happened today. (It's an old Henkel carving knife, from back when they actually made good knives. But I've got a whole drawer full of good knives so it was not a huge problem.)

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:31 pm

C865E522-E613-47F6-A6EA-E4A938F4E013.jpeg
1A8CF94C-F101-48D8-8517-DCABB270BB4C.jpeg
I have a second separate set of knives, for when it’s necessary for two people to be working simultaneously or for when I need to work outdoors.

My worst kitchen accident was back when I was brewing beer and a fermentation got out of control. It dislodged the airlock, and shot all over the place…. it leaked down into my basement, and into the most prized amp in my collection (a modified Marshall Major that just killed onstage back in the day). I cleaned it up thoroughly, but the amp is now retired and in a safer location so it never has a similar issue again. I also don’t brew anymore. The time demands of this work environment make a hobby such as brewing into a job - and if it’s a job, it’s worth paying someone else to do. But I was brewing some great beer.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:46 pm

Oh Crap, we got another spam bot, and I don't want to bother Guide, you shouldn't see him or for long, I will delete as I can

Slip Shod

@tarmac

Post by Slip Shod » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Due to the possible health benefits of zinc, some evidence notes it might have a protective effect against diabetes and may improve the prognosis for those living with this condition.

In this article, we discuss the potential connection between diabetes and zinc, including whether zinc can help manage type 2 diabetes.
~ was reading an article on Google news today just passing along

Tarmaque

Re: @tarmac

Post by Tarmaque » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:27 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:06 pm
Due to the possible health benefits of zinc, some evidence notes it might have a protective effect against diabetes and may improve the prognosis for those living with this condition.

In this article, we discuss the potential connection between diabetes and zinc, including whether zinc can help manage type 2 diabetes.
Yeah, I read about that a couple of years ago in some reputable health journals and since then I've been taking daily Zinc supplements. I can only say that my disease has continued to get worse in spite of that. I don't say it's wrong, but I do know that it isn't a cure-all. Perhaps my body would have deteriorated more rapidly without the Zinc, or perhaps not. The way I looked at it, it is a relatively cheap and utterly safe action to take to try to help my situation. I discussed it with my Doctor, and he agreed that at very worst it couldn't hurt. He also suggested adding a Magnesium supplement to help with the pain in my feet, since Magnesium can help with nerve pain. Again, I can't attribute any helpful effects to taking the Magnesium but it hasn't hurt me and is inexpensive.

On the other hand, I had started to develop muscle spasms in a couple muscles. Particularly my left Deltoid and my left eyelid. In response I started taking a Potassium supplement and those symptoms disappeared in a couple days. I mentioned that to my Doctor and he agreed that was probably the correct action.

It would be nice if Zinc had as obvious a benefit as the Potassium did, but alas I can't report much obvious benefit to me. I wish I'd known about it and tried it when my disease wasn't so far progressed.

Z is for Zangie

Re: @tarmac

Post by Z is for Zangie » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:14 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:27 pm
Slip Shod wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Yeah, I read about that a couple of years ago in some reputable health journals and since then I've been taking daily Zinc supplements. I can only say that my disease has continued to get worse in spite of that. I don't say it's wrong, but I do know that it isn't a cure-all. Perhaps my body would have deteriorated more rapidly without the Zinc, or perhaps not. The way I looked at it, it is a relatively cheap and utterly safe action to take to try to help my situation. I discussed it with my Doctor, and he agreed that at very worst it couldn't hurt. He also suggested adding a Magnesium supplement to help with the pain in my feet, since Magnesium can help with nerve pain. Again, I can't attribute any helpful effects to taking the Magnesium but it hasn't hurt me and is inexpensive.

On the other hand, I had started to develop muscle spasms in a couple muscles. Particularly my left Deltoid and my left eyelid. In response I started taking a Potassium supplement and those symptoms disappeared in a couple days. I mentioned that to my Doctor and he agreed that was probably the correct action.

It would be nice if Zinc had as obvious a benefit as the Potassium did, but alas I can't report much obvious benefit to me. I wish I'd known about it and tried it when my disease wasn't so far progressed.
Oddly, my denture paste has all these warnings about too much zinc being bad for you, and wants me to use less of it, yet they don't stay stuck with the amount they recommend...( I m not sure I ever told you guys this, because it is embarrassing, but, due to cancer and chemo...after it was over my teeth just started falling out, it was awful and I had to just have them all pulled and get dentures, I was only 40 at the time...sigh...( and the is was also one of those procedures I had to endure for half of it without a pain number as to my reaction to locals being that they wear off quickly and you can't make them work again..sigh...along with the port procedure for the chemo and the periodontal surgery when I was in my 20's)...

I use Potassium ( and grape juice and tomato juice will work in a pinch, works immediately ) for the foot cramps I sometimes get while I am sleeping.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:31 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:14 pm
Oddly, my denture paste has all these warnings about too much zinc being bad for you, and wants me to use less of it,
Large amounts of Zinc are indeed bad for you, but Zinc supplements are only about 50mg a day. Not very much.

Like the man says, "Everything is a poison. It's just a matter of dosage."