(NO PO) Today is both, National wanna get away and National Go Fishing

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

(NO PO) Today is both, National wanna get away and National Go Fishing

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 am

They kinda could be celebrated together?..lol..get away to go fishing? I used to fish a lot, one of my exes was into it and got me hooked. We used to rent boats, and go out on the lake or fish from the shore or at one of the State Parks in pond or at camping places...I enjoyed it, it was relaxing. Haven't done it in years though. I also really need to get away, I have been in Hell Week for two weeks, one crisis after another and I want to go back to going away for weekends several times a year at least...how do you feel about either of these topics?
getaway.jpg
getaway.jpg (8.98 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
fishing.jpg
farfaraway.jpg
farfaraway.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

Tarmaque

Re: (NO PO) Today is both, National wanna get away and National Go Fishing

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:39 pm

I just woke up from the strangest dream. I won't go into it because it was long and complicated and kinda depressing, but it ended on a rather strange high note.

In the dream I came upon to girls who were acrobats, practicing a routine on a giant ball. The ball was perhaps 8 feet in diameter, and the two girls were holding hands and standing on top of it. But if one of them moved even a small bit, the ball would start to roll. Then the other one would have to compensate by moving in just the right way. They were doing handstands, both on the ball and on top of each other, as well as somersaults and combined acrobatics. The ball was rolling back and forth under their efforts, but it was never out of control and their tricks were almost slow motion. One acrobat balancing on a ball and doing tricks can be amazing, but two acrobats on top of a single ball is extraordinary. I don't know how my brain came up with the image.

It was very Cirque du Soleil.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:48 pm

As for fishing, I can't fish. I can't catch fish. I can cause everybody on a charter boat to not-catch fish. It's some kind of strange magical field that repels fish.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:17 pm

Google co-founder Sergey Brin — who’s worth $93 billion — files for divorce.
Which has me thinking, what are irreconcilable differences ? I think it's simply a go-to. People don't want to get into it and prove anything they just want out, fk it.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:18 pm

I have 4 ponds, 3 stocked with fish - forage fish last September, game fish this April.
By next Easter, we will be fishing and cooking our catch.
The ponds have attracted a variety of birds - egrets, ducks, kiskadees and herons. They also attract a lot of raccoons now along with all kinds of native animals and snakes and turtles.
You'd think the fish population would be in danger even though we feed twice a week, but despite the predators, there are thousands of baby fish swimming in schools at each pond. The fish are breeding and reproducing faster than the predators can eat them.
The fish farm biologist told me that starting next year, I will have to harvest 100 pounds each of bass, blue gills and perch annually to keep the ponds in balance, to protect them from being overpopulated with undersized fish.
The grandkids will love it . . .

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:17 pm
Google co-founder Sergey Brin — who’s worth $93 billion — files for divorce.
Which has me thinking, what are irreconcilable differences ? I think it's simply a go-to. People don't want to get into it and prove anything they just want out, fk it.
They created irreconcilable differences when they created no-fault divorces...in these, you don't have to have a specific reason for divorce, just that you both want one and agree to all the details of splitting things and child issues...and they are faster, cheaper and no blame is assigned. Even in regular divorces, which are rarer, specific blame is not often assigned, it is more an argument about splitting up things or money. You can no longer use things like adultery to get a divorce, this was a good change, and primarily helped women who got a raw deal most of the time before this. Divorces used to be rejected regularly,especially when the woman initiated it, not they never are, it is just the working out the details part.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:50 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:18 pm
I have 4 ponds, 3 stocked with fish - forage fish last September, game fish this April.
By next Easter, we will be fishing and cooking our catch.
The ponds have attracted a variety of birds - egrets, ducks, kiskadees and herons. They also attract a lot of raccoons now along with all kinds of native animals and snakes and turtles.
You'd think the fish population would be in danger even though we feed twice a week, but despite the predators, there are thousands of baby fish swimming in schools at each pond. The fish are breeding and reproducing faster than the predators can eat them.
The fish farm biologist told me that starting next year, I will have to harvest 100 pounds each of bass, blue gills and perch annually to keep the ponds in balance, to protect them from being overpopulated with undersized fish.
The grandkids will love it . . .
That is way cool Senor...I have always wanted a property with at least a pond or creek on it and fish and other creatures around.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:54 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:48 pm
As for fishing, I can't fish. I can't catch fish. I can cause everybody on a charter boat to not-catch fish. It's some kind of strange magical field that repels fish.
I am pretty similar...lol...I was on a walleye charter on Lake Erie, and was the only one who didn't catch any walleye...lol..though I did catch a sheepshead and some white perch, both of which I guess the real fishermen think they are junk fish, so they killed them, upset me. Beat them against the side of the boat.( I throw mine back, don't keep them)

Normally, if I catch any it is little ones, even in a lake full of huge fish...lol...like Dale Hollow Lake...I had one good day...7 bass at a state park ( Mohican) here in OH...also my big fish that got away that day...a largemouth bass...I had him, he snapped my line...lol

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:26 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:54 pm
...though I did catch a sheepshead and some white perch
I don't even know what a Sheepshead is, but when you say "White Perch" are you talking about that or "White Crappie" which some people call "White Perch" and are delicious.

Slip Shod

Post by Slip Shod » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:57 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:26 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
I don't even know what a Sheepshead is, but when you say "White Perch" are you talking about that or "White Crappie" which some people call "White Perch" and are delicious.
Sheephead are freshwater fish bigger than bluegill that a lot of people think are worthless fish because of a good size mud line that runs down the spine. Got to make sure you clean them good

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:26 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Z is for Zangie wrote:
I am not sure to be honest, might be the second, they never said, and I hadn't heard of them...around here yellow perch is the prize and much loved, so I assumed they were inferior to the yellow in some way?

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:28 pm

Slip Shod wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:57 pm
Tarmaque wrote:
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sheephead are freshwater fish bigger than bluegill that a lot of people think are worthless fish because of a good size mud line that runs down the spine. Got to make sure you clean them good
I restored this Slip because it was good information I didn't know and there is nothing wrong with it, hope you don't mind

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:42 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:26 pm
...around here yellow perch is the prize and much loved, so I assumed they were inferior to the yellow in some way?
"White Perch" is not actually a perch at all, but more closely related to bass. However I don't know much about them because they're native to the east coast. We mostly have Black and White Crappie here in the Northwest, but also Bluegill and Yellow Perch. Honestly I couldn't tell you the difference between Black and White Crappie, but the internet tells me it's mostly in the coloration of their scales.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:17 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:42 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:26 pm
...around here yellow perch is the prize and much loved, so I assumed they were inferior to the yellow in some way?
"White Perch" is not actually a perch at all, but more closely related to bass. However I don't know much about them because they're native to the east coast. We mostly have Black and White Crappie here in the Northwest, but also Bluegill and Yellow Perch. Honestly I couldn't tell you the difference between Black and White Crappie, but the internet tells me it's mostly in the coloration of their scales.
Lake Erie Perch is actually the only real fish I like and I like it a lot...(other than tuna and salmon patties...lol)

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:37 am

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:17 am
Lake Erie Perch is actually the only real fish I like and I like it a lot...(other than tuna and salmon patties...lol)
I find Crappie to be a lot like Halibut, but a little more tender. It's been so long since I've tasted Perch or Bass I don't even remember what they taste like. I'm a big fan of Kokanee, which is a landlocked Sockeye Salmon we get in reservoirs around here. Not a fan of Trout though, except for Steelhead Trout which is almost Salmon to my palette.