Happy First Day of Summer and longest Day of the Year! (PO)

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

Happy First Day of Summer and longest Day of the Year! (PO)

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:46 am

Have a great first day and enjoy the longest day!
Happy-First-Day-Of-Summer-Meme.jpg
Happy-First-Day-Of-Summer-Meme.jpg (31.2 KiB) Viewed 975 times
trumppence.jpg

Tarmaque

Re: Happy First Day of Summer and longest Day of the Year! (PO)

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 am

Texas GOP's new platform says Biden didn't really win. It also calls for secession

I sincerely hope that Texas does secede. It has been a drag on our whole country for decades. They no longer represent the ideals of the United States of America, and even though there are islands of sanity there the whole has doubled down on the crazy. And they can take Florida and all the states between them with them. The new "conservative" country (Probably Trumplevania) will be a third world country within my lifetime. Bet on it.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:53 am

I am also really concerned about 2024. You realize there is a very real possibility we'll have an 82 year old running against a 79 year old for President? Knowing the health problems common to octogenarians there's every possibility that one or both of them might not make it to November 2024. Even considering Biden's relatively good health v/s Trump's "how in hell is he still alive" health, I don't think either one will make it through a full term.

But if neither of them decide to run I bet the election will be just as much a house fire as if they do.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:01 am

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 am
Texas GOP's new platform says Biden didn't really win. It also calls for secession

I sincerely hope that Texas does secede. It has been a drag on our whole country for decades. They no longer represent the ideals of the United States of America, and even though there are islands of sanity there the whole has doubled down on the crazy. And they can take Florida and all the states between them with them. The new "conservative" country (Probably Trumplevania) will be a third world country within my lifetime. Bet on it.
This is a hilarious satire about that...from Dana Milbank at WAPO, who is great at this and puns...even the comments are entertaining...I laughed and laughed...( "Texit", don't let the door hit you, take these states with you..etc.

https://wapo.st/3HIwhGw

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:13 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:01 am
This is a hilarious satire about that...from Dana Milbank at WAPO, who is great at this and puns...even the comments are entertaining...I laughed and laughed...( "Texit", don't let the door hit you, take these states with you..etc.
"If at first you don’t secede, try, try again." Nicely done.

Texas's supposed "right to secede" is dubious from a legal standpoint, but I'm fully behind it. It will go worse than Brexit.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:48 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:13 pm
Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:01 am
"If at first you don’t secede, try, try again." Nicely done.

Texas's supposed "right to secede" is dubious from a legal standpoint, but I'm fully behind it. It will go worse than Brexit.
Their platform includes this: a return to having the state legislature choose the Senators that are sent to Washington. It’s fascinating that Texans, so vocal about their individual rights, would gladly give up the right to participate in choosing who represents them at the national level.

Along the same line, the news out of Uvalde last night was horrific. Because yet again, the official story - from the top of the state of Texas on down - is shown to be a lie. That story has changed significantly at least a dozen times since the shooting. Now it turns out that the story told that the police did not have protective gear is a flat-out lie. There is security footage, time-stamped, from within the school. It shows two officers with AR15s… and a ballistic shield. And it shows them there with that shield nineteen minutes after the shooter entered the building.

If you remember, in the wake of the shooting the Uvalde police ‘employed’ biker gangs to harass and intimidate investigative journalists.

Remember the Sacha Baron Cohen series Who Is America?

Well, we see exactly who Texas is. Texas: literally founded as a slave colony. Where slaveholders from across the South hauled their slaves to the north of Mexico, against the specific laws of that new nation that deliberately forbade slavery. Did so with zero regard for the lives of the slaves, or of the existing locals whom they slaughtered whenever those locals got in the way of building the slave colony. And as soon as they deemed themselves strong enough, went to war against Mexico to secede in order to have their slave republic. The folks at the Alamo were no heroes, despite what Texas-oriented elementary textbooks have propagandized for over a century. So Texas won its independence, and created their slavery republic. Almost the entirety of the constitution of the Republic of Texas addresses the enslavement of blacks, the heavy constrainment on ‘free’ blacks there, and the absolutism of white supremacy. Hardly any other parameters of governance in that document….

But of course, that republic was not created to be a separate nation. It was created specifically as a counter to the growing anti-slavery sentiment in the civilized sections of the United States. And so within just a few years, Texas petitioned for - and obtained - admission to the Union. And it carried its horrendous Constitution, virtually unchanged, with it into statehood. And within a short span of years, seceded and waged war against the United States in order to preserve and expand slavery.

And the history of the state since then is terrible in its treatment of blacks and immigrants and indigenous peoples. And not coincidentally, the state founded on slavery grows ever more authoritarian. Seeks to prevent people from learning the truth of its racist past and present. Covers up and alters any data that paint a picture that differed from the “official story”. On gun violence, among other things. And here it is again, doing exactly that.

Please let Texas secede. That would be a wonderful addition by subtraction. Of course, then Texas would likely place machine guns all along the Rio Grande….

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:31 pm

My goodness. I had not read that Milbank piece before posting the above. It’s even worse than I thought LOL

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:29 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:31 pm
My goodness. I had not read that Milbank piece before posting the above. It’s even worse than I thought LOL
Yep, lot more to it than the highlights you probably saw...

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:46 pm

Z is for Zangie wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:29 pm
Mike wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:31 pm
Yep, lot more to it than the highlights you probably saw...
Here’s Cuoy Griffin, Otero New Mexico county commissioner, founder of cowboys for trump, convict in Jan.6 insurrection, addressing the people of his county a few days ago concerning certification of the vote:

My vote tonight is gonna be ‘no’. And my vote to remain a ‘no’ isn’t based on any evidence, it’s not based on any facts. It’s only based on my gut and my gut feeling, and my own intuition. And that’s all I need to base my vote on the elections right there.

The idiocy speaks for itself.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:07 pm

Texas GOP suffers from senility . . .

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:47 pm

Vote fraud? Vote fraud? The charges of vote fraud have been coming from the GOP ever since trump arrived on the scene.

But of course… where the Republican Party, with ‘conservatives’ and ‘christians’ making up the overwhelming majority of its ranks, hurls charges of dishonesty at someone, one should always presume that the party is themselves doing it. And sure enough, Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson was directly engaged in it. Not the way they are accusing Dems of, by picayune ballot box stuffing, but by attempting to hand the Vice President false slates of electors.

Calling the GOP the sedition party is no longer a joke. It is real. Nearly the entire party, across all levels, has been and is engaged in destroying the voting process. In destroying representative democracy.