(NO PO) Today is National "Pink" Day and National Pecan Sandies Day

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

(NO PO) Today is National "Pink" Day and National Pecan Sandies Day

Post by Z is for Zangie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:37 pm

I am doing this from work due to technical difficulties at home, so , I don't have access to the
files I saved for this. I refused to wear pink as a young girl, thought it was too girlie and why do I have to wear it just because I am female...lol...(I was a tom boy, and probably my dad's focus on learning and being someone also influenced me...he never got the obsession with hair, looks etc us girls had. I remember he said one time that if we spent as much time using the brain inside our head as we spent brushing/styling our hair on it ... we would be better off. Later in life I changed my mind when I discovered it actually was a good color on me, and what is wrong with being a little girlie sometimes? I can be both. Pecan Sandies are my second favorite cookie ( after Snowballs, which also have pecans in them). So thoughts on boy/girl colors, cookies etc? Or anything else?
pink.jpg
pink.jpg (10.39 KiB) Viewed 628 times
pecan-sandies-2.jpg

Tarmaque

Re: (NO PO) Today is National "Pink" Day and National Pecan Sandies Day

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:43 pm

There is some evidence that "Pink for girls: Blue for boys" goes back to early middle eastern culture (possibly pre-Islam) when blue was considered a "protective" color, and boys being the preferred gender in those societies they were dressed in blue. Girls tending towards pink was more a situation of dressing them in what was available, pink being easier to dye than blue.

Centuries later both girls and boys were dressed in both pink and blue, particularly in Europe. We finally start to see gender based color choices in the 19th Century, but oddly the other way around. Pink was considered more appropriate for boys because it was a stronger hue, while girls were dressed in blue because it was considered daintier and more subdued.

Then relatively recently we made the switch back to "blue for boys, pink for girls" by ad agencies and manufacturers in the 1940's. There is speculation that during the war women working in factories generally wore blue dungarees and that they wanted something more colorful for their daughters to not associate them with the factories. But whatever the reason, it is still true that prior to 1945 or so it was usual to dress boy babies in pink and girl babies in blue.

It's a funny old world.

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:47 pm

I am not feeling any better this morning, but at least I am not feeling any worse. So... good news? I guess.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:31 pm

I love pink. Many of my favorite things are pink.

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:31 pm

Tarmaque wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:47 pm
I am not feeling any better this morning, but at least I am not feeling any worse. So... good news? I guess.
Covid test negative?

Tarmaque

Post by Tarmaque » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:42 pm

Senor Natural wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:31 pm
Covid test negative?
Nope, came back positive. This is more annoying than frightening, but good to know.