TGIF-been a crazy week for me, glad the week end is here.

Come discus news articles of the day with a bit of an NPR focus.

Moderators: AA Admin, AA Mod

Z is for Zangie

TGIF-been a crazy week for me, glad the week end is here.

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:11 am

Have a great one! The Senate finally does something, if not everything I would like on guns, and bipartisan, and the Supreme Court kinda makes it worse again...sigh...I never used to pay much attention to the Court, but, this is the first time I am dismayed by so much. I dread the Roe decision, no matter what they do, there is going to be protests and violence...sigh
magameaning.jpg
10pm.jpg

Mike

Re: TGIF-been a crazy week for me, glad the week end is here. 3 states will be pitlawing borrion within the next 30 days

Post by Mike » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:59 pm

This Court is wasting no time. The moment they found themselves a bulletproof majority, they began the dismantling of all prior decisions.

Consider that the NY gun law existed as early as 1913. It was not a gun grab by commielibruls; it was sensible legislation, to curb waves of violence. Now consider that this Court, with that ruling, just signaled that it will dismantle any/all restrictive legislation currently being considered. So even if this new gun bill gets passed and signed, this Court will fast-track it to extinction.

Likewise, the Court that produced Roe was not a bunch of liberal feminists! It was a bunch of essentially conservative old guys. They did not bring an ideological bent to that case; they found their finding based on rational consideration of the Constitution. Now? 13 states will be outlawing abortion entirely within the next 30 days, two of them as early as tomorrow.
O
Back to the 2nd Amendment. You know, the framers of the Constitution were very intelligent and very skilled at deploying words. Clarence Thomas said something to the effect of now people can carry for self-defense, as intended by the Amendment. Yet the Amendment nowhere mentions that! Rather, it mentions the security of a free State and a well regulated Militia. NOWHERE DOES IT MENTION PERSONAL SELF DEFENSE. Does not even imply it. So for the Court to have arrived at “self defense” as the reason for the right to keep and bear arms, the Right has indeed done what they’ve always accused the Left of: legislating from the bench. There’s faaaaar more legislating from the bench in this decision than there ever was in Roe, or in extending to gay couples the right to marry.

Yet Reason magazine, self-proclaimed stalwart defender of individual and states’ rights, is celebrating this gun decision. And celebrating the demise of Roe, And celebrating the imminent attacks upon the Constitution’s contract clause.

Mike

Re: TGIF-been a crazy week for me, glad the week end is here.

Post by Mike » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:25 pm

Clarence Thomas finally speaks.

And says the Court should revisit everything. Same sex marriage. Same sex relations - that is to say, he seems to believe gays enjoying each others’ intimate company should be criminalized again. Birth control - so he believes states should be able to outlaw the sales and distribution of condoms!

Put that together with the ‘platform’ issues this week by the Texas Republican Party - at a convention where they barred the Log Cabin Republicans from making their presence known.

We’ve always known this was their long game.
Any who plead ignorance need to be called what they are: ignorant morons.

That said, I need to retract a bit of what I said earlier. Reason magazine has reconsidered, and is now calling Alito’s ruling on abortion a slap at the 9th Amendment.

Z is for Zangie

Post by Z is for Zangie » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:32 pm

Mike wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:25 pm
Clarence Thomas finally speaks.

And says the Court should revisit everything. Same sex marriage. Same sex relations - that is to say, he seems to believe gays enjoying each others’ intimate company should be criminalized again. Birth control - so he believes states should be able to outlaw the sales and distribution of condoms!

Put that together with the ‘platform’ issues this week by the Texas Republican Party - at a convention where they barred the Log Cabin Republicans from making their presence known.

We’ve always known this was their long game.
Any who plead ignorance need to be called what they are: ignorant morons.

That said, I need to retract a bit of what I said earlier. Reason magazine has reconsidered, and is now calling Alito’s ruling on abortion a slap at the 9th Amendment.
Yeah, Reason is a mixed bag, I like some of their stuff a lot ( that jives with my semi Libertarian streak...lol

Senor Natural

Post by Senor Natural » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:51 am

Activist court, regressive activism, reflects attitudes of old people, not representative of the US as a whole.
Never vote republican . . .